LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 188 users in the forums

Has the NFL gone too far with rule changes favoring the offense over many decades?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Has the NFL gone too far with rule changes favoring the offense over many decades?

Originally posted by horsecore:
Yes.

The recent slew of former players coming out to sue the NFL probably has something to do with the explosion of recent rule changes regarding defenseless players as well.

I've mentioned it before but this season's NFL makes me f'ing sick. Michaels and Collinsworth were having a discussion last night about how the old mantra of "defense wins championships" may be dead. F that. That Loins vs. Aints games was a joke.

I hope the Niners crush the Aints on Saturday. They owe me one.
WORD.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
It appears most of you are missing the point and focusing on rule changes made to protect players, not the ones turning the NFL into the Arena league where offense are moving up and down the field at will.
Originally posted by BobS:
It appears most of you are missing the point and focusing on rule changes made to protect players, not the ones turning the NFL into the Arena league where offense are moving up and down the field at will.

In some cases, they are the same. The protected players are on offense, hindering the defensive capability.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Goodell is sucking all the life out of this game. Sorry Goodell this is a high impact, high risk sport. Thats what brings people to the games and watch at home.

You can't even play defense anymore. And now all the "defenseless WR" crap. How soon until we go to 2 hand touch?....

I hate the defensless WR junk. Ronnie Lott would be suspended for seasons if he tried to play in todays game. And how about that penalty last night when the db got called for the penalty when he slapped the top of the WRs head. Its become an embarrassment. And whats sad is EVERYONE says it is. I dont know one person who loves football that likes these new rule changes. The NFL is doing it in spite of what the viewers actually want.

Yeah it's sad. I don't think Ronnie Lott could even play in todays football. If we played old school football the Saints would get knocked out when they play us. Touch a guys head inadertently and they call a 15 yard penalty. Just rediculous...

Four game suspension
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by BobS:

In some cases, they are the same. The protected players are on offense, hindering the defensive capability.
There are a lot of rules that hinder defenses that have nothing to do with protecting players. Allowing offensive lineman to do anything but drag a defender to the ground and the no touching the receiver after 5 yard rule are two of them. You guys are arguing rules that protect players from injuries.
From a marketing perspective they played the offensive favored rules perfectly. They did not break Marino's records too quickly, and also did not let it linger on too long. They will also have to do the same with the Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers records of this era. Figure out a way to let em stand for 15 years but not longer than 30
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I still like football, but it's way more like the Arena League than what I grew up with. Everyone likes high scoring, but there;s just not as much drama in that to me. I get bored watching teams like NO and NE and almost always have the game off by the 4th quarter.
i blame fantasy football
How long before teams start averaging 70 a game?.... We already got 600 + yards of offense and 40 - 50 a game and 6 + TD's. Honestly compared to 10, 15, 20 years ago I don't even recongnize this anymore. This isn't even real football anymore. You aren't allowed to play defense. It's arena league or madden football or something. Watch the rules keep changing to give even more offense....
Share 49ersWebzone