There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Detroits rushing attempts

I probably scratched my nuts more times in the first half than their total rushing attempts the entire game. I know they're one of those pass first teams and they struggle running the ball, but it goes to show you how a balanced offense is more than likely the solution to teams like the Saints.

We've seen teams try and play the Saints like this all year long, and not even one of the top Passing offenses in the league stood a chance, but we saw Steven Jackson and the Rams take them out with a balanced Offense running the ball and passing to Brandon Lloyd.

Bottom line, why try and beat them in their own game?

Niner football = Solution
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
I probably scratched my nuts more times in the first half...

You should get that checked out before it gets infected
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
You should get that checked out before it gets infected

Hahaha, yeah dude I knew she looked like a shady tramp. Gotta be careful you know ;)
I agree. The Lions fell right into the Saints trap. Try to make it a shoot out. Granted the Lions don't have a running game but still..if you air it out and go for quick scores or 3 and outs you give the Saints way too many opportunities. Look how many offensive plays the Saints ran.
The Lions D let them down in this game. We all knew they didnt have a running game, why would they try to run? They passed just fine, except for that deep interception meant for Titus. They were totally in the game. There were plenty of times they could have stopped Thomas or Sproles for a short gain, but didnt wrap up. Saints receivers open by a mile from blown coverages. This game was closer than the score indicated.

I do agree though that our style of football is exactly how to stop the Saints. if we continue to improve our RZ scoring, it wont be close...
[ Edited by Sinsation on Jan 7, 2012 at 10:03 PM ]
I believe we are in for a tough game. As long as our defense does what it has been doing all year than we will be okay. We let the Rams score 27 on us, we need to hold the Saints to under 25. We do that and we will have the advantage. Like we've been saying, play niners type football. Run the ball and win the t.o.p. and field position battles. Keep our safeties deep and keep decent coverage. Figure out how to get to Brees because that o-line is great.
I think Hunter can be our Sproles in this game--give them some of their own medicine!
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by Sinsation:
The Lions D let them down in this game. We all knew they didnt have a running game, why would they try to run? They passed just fine, except for that deep interception meant for Titus. They were totally in the game. There were plenty of times they could have stopped Thomas or Sproles for a short gain, but didnt wrap up. Saints receivers open by a mile from blown coverages. This game was closer than the score indicated.

I do agree though that our style of football is exactly how to stop the Saints. if we continue to improve our RZ scoring, it wont be close...

Those two All Pro guards for NO do not get enough credit for their pass protection. I know that sounds crazy considering they BOTH made the All Pro team but their pass protection allows Brees so much time to find the open receiver. And it isn't just the time that he has, it is the fact that the center of the pocket remains intact 95% of the time, allowing Brees to step up and get more on the ball. As everyone understands, Brees does not have a very strong arm. He isn't going to stand flat footed and throw a rope 40 yards. He has to step into this throws to get them deep, and the middle of his line allows him to do that. That, as much as the quality of this receiving corp is a main reason for their passing success.
Originally posted by dj43:
Those two All Pro guards for NO do not get enough credit for their pass protection. I know that sounds crazy considering they BOTH made the All Pro team but their pass protection allows Brees so much time to find the open receiver. And it isn't just the time that he has, it is the fact that the center of the pocket remains intact 95% of the time, allowing Brees to step up and get more on the ball. As everyone understands, Brees does not have a very strong arm. He isn't going to stand flat footed and throw a rope 40 yards. He has to step into this throws to get them deep, and the middle of his line allows him to do that. That, as much as the quality of this receiving corp is a main reason for their passing success.


Will be fun to see what the 9er front 7 can do to the NO OLine. The Smiths need to have big games.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by dj43:
Those two All Pro guards for NO do not get enough credit for their pass protection. I know that sounds crazy considering they BOTH made the All Pro team but their pass protection allows Brees so much time to find the open receiver. And it isn't just the time that he has, it is the fact that the center of the pocket remains intact 95% of the time, allowing Brees to step up and get more on the ball. As everyone understands, Brees does not have a very strong arm. He isn't going to stand flat footed and throw a rope 40 yards. He has to step into this throws to get them deep, and the middle of his line allows him to do that. That, as much as the quality of this receiving corp is a main reason for their passing success.


Will be fun to see what the 9er front 7 can do to the NO OLine. The Smiths need to have big games.

NO works the middle of the field behind the LBs so well it is scary. With Graham, along with Colston, in the middle, with the speed of Henderson and Meachem outside, it is a load to cover it all. Willis will have to stay back in pass defense much of the time with Bowman to clean up on the run. Pressure will have to come from outside.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,036
Brees had all day to go to the stands get a couple of beignets from cafe dumond and still throw laser beams...that oline is a beast
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by dmax:
Brees had all day to go to the stands get a couple of beignets from cafe dumond and still throw laser beams...that oline is a beast

Gotta love the food in NO. Gives you heart attacks but what a way to go.