LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

WOW Norv Turner and AJ Smith keep jobs

Shop 49ers game tickets
I thoroughly enjoy Norv Turner failing. Promotion or not he and the Chargers screwed us. They held on to Shotty after a 14-2 record late into the off season. Turner bailed ship and we had to scramble to find replacement. Keep failing Chargers and Turner. I was and am still bitter but your losing brings a smile to my face.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Takeo's reaction:

LOL...poor dude. He always wanted to get in the playoffs - Leaves us to get there and we go 13-3.

HAHAHAHA
Originally posted by NorCaL9er:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Takeo's reaction:

LOL...poor dude. He always wanted to get in the playoffs - Leaves us to get there and we go 13-3.

HAHAHAHA

hopefully he has the Randy Winn effect, gives it his all team fails then he leaves, and the team he leaves ends up with a championship the following year
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
hopefully he has the Randy Winn effect, gives it his all team fails then he leaves, and the team he leaves ends up with a championship the following year

in that case, he's retiring a charger....and they'll be DOUBLY cursed forever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_sports_curse
(As a San Diego resident, I am forced to listen to all the Charges news...)

Phillip Rivers supposedly lobbied hard for Norv to stay. I wonder if he thought Norv leaving was a done deal and now regrets lobbying so hard. LOL. Reality is that this season was decimated by OL and WR injuries. Regardless, Norv and Smith have had them on a steady decline. Yeah, they may stay healthy and make the play-offs next year, but do you really think Norv delivers a superbowl appearance??? NO.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
This is great news ... for the Broncos, Raiders and Chiefs.

Insane. Another wasted year for Rivers.
Also a San Diego Resident...

When the Chargers were 4-0 this season, they had a hard time selling out their games to avoid the blackouts. Their games also looked like our home game against Dallas, tons of visiting fans in the stands at every game. The move to keep AJ and Norv is going to hurt season ticket sales and they also have a vote in November about their new stadium. Tax payers are not going to approve anything for an under-achieveing team. They had injuries but so does every team. The good ones bounce back. They hired Manusky from us and he is terrible at stopping the pass. Every decision they have made lately has been horrible...
Love it!! Total fail, I'm making easy money next season! Betting on the Dolts miss the playoffs again;-) Ya Buddy!
Eric Branch @Eric_Branch
RT @sdutChargers: Defensive coordinator Greg Manusky has been fired. #49ers
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Norv stays and Greg goes. God help the chargers

i sorta understand it

went to playoffs his first 3 years

hasnt finished with a record below .500

Jeff Fisher has 5 career HC victories in the playoffs in his 17 year run with the Titans/ Oilers. Norv Turner has 3 in his 5 year run with the chargers.

Everybody wants to suck Fishers dick right now
I guess they like performing for only one half of a season.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I think the owner is doing this to intentionally discourage fans from buying tickets. Then in 2 years he has full cause to relocate to LA, and there will likely be little backlash in SD.
Division, Division, Division. The NFL owners and gms are always highly sensitive to the current state of their division.

The AFC West is terrible and no positive outlook. This team no longer even talks SB, its just about winning the division again. Norv, AJ and Rivers is still the class of that terrible division.

From this perspective it makes sense
Doesn't surprise me at all. The Chargers' owner is about as disinterested in football as it gets. AJ Smith is who really runs the team, and he aint about to fire himself. I remember it was widely reported that he and Marty Schottenheimer bumped heads a lot over personnel (and Marty's criticism of Smith led to his firing), so it makes sense that he wants to keep Norv around since he's a lot softer and more "manageable." Let that be a lesson kids.

When your clueless and totally incompetent at your job, at least have the good sense to never hire anyone that will tell you so.
Share 49ersWebzone