LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

Jamal Lewis, Dorsey Levels sue NFL over concussions

Shop 49ers game tickets
Everyone thinks thier a legal expert, lol

How about assumptions and jumping to conclusions, you wait for the facts to come out? It could be BS, could be something to it....I dunno.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Dec 22, 2011 at 1:57 PM ]
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Tats why they got paid big money

This.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

How about assumptions and jumping to conclusions, you wait for the facts to come out? It could be BS, could be something to it....I dunno.

Yeah, cos you dont want to speculate and discuss things in an internet forum. Perish the thought.
Originally posted by English:

Yeah, cos you dont want to speculate and discuss things in an internet forum. Perish the thought.

mmmm....thanks for putting words in my mouth.
For those actually interested in the topic, here is a much better article about a different lawsuit filed by NFL Players (in case you haven't been following this topic, there have been about a dozen such lawsuits filed across the US):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_mccann/08/19/concussion.lawsuit/index.html

It also raises the 3 main barriers for the lawsuit (assumption of risk which is what many of you are pointing out, lack of causation evidence, and collective bargaining).

The essence of the claim of the former players is comparing the NFL to the tobacco industry of basically saying "Yes, we knew the NFL was physically dangerous, but becuase of the NFL's deception we had no idea how dangerous." The main claim revolves around the NFL knowing that concussions cause long term effects, but the NFL instead told players there is no evidence of long term effects. If you watch Real Sports on HBO, they've been doing episodes on this for what seems like a decade.

Another far better article on the topic:
http://www.market**tch.com/story/group-of-12-former-nfl-players-brings-fresh-lawsuit-against-league-for-covering-up-concussion-risks-during-their-playing-careers-2011-12-05
I'm pretty sure OSHA is behind this.

my best guess.

some 3rd stringers got concussions and sued. now the big name guys are started to jump in. the league knew it was gonna happen so they started enforcing stricter penalties on concussions to look like they're doing something about it.

this looks similar to the industry i'm in (construction) and everyone is always in CYA mode when it comes to this/safety. jmho.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
I'm pretty sure OSHA is behind this.

my best guess.

some 3rd stringers got concussions and sued. now the big name guys are started to jump in. the league knew it was gonna happen so they started enforcing stricter penalties on concussions to look like they're doing something about it.

this looks similar to the industry i'm in (construction) and everyone is always in CYA mode when it comes to this/safety. jmho.

This controversey really got going with John Mackey, who was a hall of fame TE. In response to his problems, the NFLPA drafted the "88 plan" as more and more retired NFL players began to experience serious health issues, possibly related to repeat concussions. The NFL continued to deny any connection between multiple concussions and long term heath, despite evidence that the NFL was aware of such problems.

The lawsuits began to get filed out of former players frustration that the new bargaining agreement did not address retirement health issues that many former players believed were caused by repeated concussions.

The lawsuits aren't being filed by 3rd string players. Again, this is a complete assumption with no factual basis.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:27 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
c'mon man
I think the spirit of these lawsuits is not about blame...it is about the success of the league. Its called being a victim of your own success. The more money an organization make, the more any contributor might feel entitled.

That's what the players union is all about at the heart of it. The concept is that there is limitless profits being enjoyed...get yours too, by any and all means.

If I got into a car accident with another Joe Schmoe I would operate with honesty and morals. But if I was in an accident with Joe Gazzilionaire...I would probably pull every cheap trick in the book to get setup for life if I could...he won't miss the few million.

The idea is there is no victim. The NFL has limitless funds...why not pay for my concussions?

I am not saying i agree with it, but the NFL now will always be asked for more by the players, when they are playing and after. If one day the league is less profitable, the demands of the union and the amount of law suits will decrease naturally. Also, if the league were ever to become less popular.....some of the "safety" rules would also be repealed too.

I wish the NFL was not so popular.
[ Edited by danimal on Dec 22, 2011 at 4:48 PM ]
lol this is like a coal miner suing the coal company for getting black lung.

youre a coal miner....it comes with the job. if you dont want black lung, dont work that job.

NFL players seem to be great at blowing a fortune they made playing a game before their 45 years old, then being upset when they cant cover their medical bills.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Dec 22, 2011 at 4:55 PM ]

Originally posted by danimal:
I think the spirit of these lawsuits is not about blame...it is about the success of the league. Its called being a victim of your own success. The more money an organization make, the more any contributor might feel entitled.

That's what the players union is all about at the heart of it. The concept is that there is limitless profits being enjoyed...get yours too, by any and all means.

If I got into a car accident with another Joe Schmoe I would operate with honesty and morals. But if I was in an accident with Joe Gazzilionaire...I would probably pull every cheap trick in the book to get setup for life if I could...he won't miss the few million.

The idea is there is no victim. The NFL has limitless funds...why not pay for my concussions?

I am not saying i agree with it, but the NFL now will always be asked for more by the players, when they are playing and after. If one day the league is less profitable, the demands of the union and the amount of law suits will decrease naturally. Also, if the league were ever to become less popular.....some of the "safety" rules would also be repealed too.

I wish the NFL was not so popular.

If you were in a car accident, your recovery would be dictated by your medically supported injuries and the insurance company would be paying out anyways, rarely the actual driver becuase they would likely try to move for bankruptcy protection anyways. You might be able to get away with a cheap trick like complaining of whiplash and lying about the symptoms, but that would only work for a soft tissue claim in which case you would be nowhere near set up for life, maybe you can get a new TV. You can't fake a herniated disc or a fractured bone or torn ligament. What cheap tricks do you think you could possibly do to earn millions? Oh please do tell, I would love for you to try and back up that claim.

And I do agree that the lawsuits are being brought because of the profit of the NFL. The lawsuits were born out of retired players upset that their health concerns were not included in the new bargaining agreement which is why all these lawsuits are coming now, as I detailed above.

Originally posted by Niners99:
lol this is like a coal miner suing the coal company for getting black lung.

youre a coal miner....it comes with the job. if you dont want black lung, dont work that job.

NFL players seem to be great at blowing a fortune they made playing a game before their 45 years old, then being upset when they cant cover their medical bills.

In a way it is like the coal miner. Or how how about people that brought lawsuits for asbestos? Or any employee who was injured and an employer concealed the risk of injury. Its one thing to be aware that a job is dangerous, it is entirely different for an employer to lie and misinform its employees about dangerous conditions.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Dec 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM ]
They knew the risks when they signed on the dotted line, and if they didn't, they were blinded by greed. f**k them.
So let me get this straight, all of you guys critizing the lawsuits believe employers should be able to lie and misinform employees about health risks, so long as the job has an inherent level of danger in it?

And if the employee retires and begins to develop lingering serious health side effects, your response is f**k them? Without even knowing about the facts involved....What a wonderful humane world we live in.
So let me get this straight, all of you guys critizing the lawsuits believe employers should be able to lie and misinform employees about health risks, so long as the job has an inherent level of danger in it?

And if the employee retires and begins to develop lingering serious health side effects, your response is f**k them? Without even knowing about the facts involved....What a wonderful humane world we live in.

really? this is not some hidden risk that is being withheld. It's beyond obvious that football players get hit in the head. Alot. If they were too stupid to realize this when they decided to declare for the draft, all they had to do was to consult a doctor. But guess what, they didn't care. They wanted to get paid. And now they want go get paid yet again.

Maybe "f**k them" was a little harsh. All these guys needed was a shred of foresight and they could have chose a different career path. Concussions are nothing new. And don't think for a second the primary reason the NFL is changing the rules and focusing more on these types of injuries now isn't related to lawsuits like these. Now that my friend is foresight.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Dec 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

really? this is not some hidden risk that is being withheld. It's beyond obvious that football players get hit in the head. Alot. If they were too stupid to realize this when they decided to declare for the draft, all they had to do was to consult a doctor. But guess what, they didn't care. They wanted to get paid. And now they want go get paid yet again.

So you think anyone who says there isn't long term health risk to getting hit in the head is stupid?

So what do you think of the NFL telling players there is no long term health risk to getting hit on the head? Excusable to make such a stupid comment?
Share 49ersWebzone