There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jamal Lewis, Dorsey Levels sue NFL over concussions

(sorry if repost)

Jamal Lewis, Dorsey Levens and two other former NFL players say in a federal lawsuit that brain injuries have left them struggling with medical problems years after their playing days ended.

Lewis and Levens, along with Fulton Kuykendall and Ryan Stewart, filed the lawsuit against the National Football League and FNL Properties LLC this week in U.S. District Court in Atlanta.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7379325/ex-rbs-jamal-lewis-dorsey-levens-sue-nfl-concussions

.....and here's why the league is so anal about people MAYBE in contact with each other's helmets....

Concussions are a serious issue. but from day 1 i believe all of these strict fines are just to show the courts that they're been trying to protect players all along, just to cover their a*s. not to protect the players.
Tats why they got paid big money
doesnt make sense.. they play this game for years knowing theyre at risk for injuries and concussions,then when they're career is over they sue the NFL for concussions?
I'm not a fan of the lawsuit. I'll have to read the ACTUAL suit though, not the media twist.

Just from assumption though, I find it hard to argue that they weren't knowledgeable of possible injury and/or death resulting from playing, and also difficult to say the NFL should have known better, since it is only in the recent past that this kind of concussion research has been fleshed out, as far as I know.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Tats why they got paid big money

This.
Struggling with this one. Looking forward to hearing Janitor's informed views.

But shoot guys, if it was utterly safe, why do they throw more money at you than most guys see in several lifetimes?
sounds like somebody ran out of money and is trying to cash in on all this concussion crap going on
Originally posted by valrod33:
sounds like somebody ran out of money and is trying to cash in on all this concussion crap going on

This
It is sad that so many players suffer from concussions years later. Still, the technology for better helmets has been around for a long time. The problem, to a certain degree, is that the players have felt they were "too bulky." Aaron Rodgers finally relented last season and began wearing a more protective helmet, however, in the meantime, he suffered three concussions. So if he comes back and sues the league 10 years from now, does he have a legitimate claim?

Eli Manning is another who resisted safer helmets, and there were others as well. Only in the past 3-4 years have players become more willing to use the heavier, safer headgear, and that was only after more publicity to the older players and their troubles.

I spent many years in auto racing as a hobby. It was the same thing there. Racers were always looking for ways to go faster but not often looking for safer cars and helmets. It was not until Dale Earnhardt was killed that racers began paying serious attention to the need for safer helmets and equipment.

To blame the concussions on the league/owners is not a knowledgeable statement.
well they should be going after their college programs as well
Originally posted by dj43:
It is sad that so many players suffer from concussions years later. Still, the technology for better helmets has been around for a long time. The problem, to a certain degree, is that the players have felt they were "too bulky." Aaron Rodgers finally relented last season and began wearing a more protective helmet, however, in the meantime, he suffered three concussions. So if he comes back and sues the league 10 years from now, does he have a legitimate claim?

Eli Manning is another who resisted safer helmets, and there were others as well. Only in the past 3-4 years have players become more willing to use the heavier, safer headgear, and that was only after more publicity to the older players and their troubles.

I spent many years in auto racing as a hobby. It was the same thing there. Racers were always looking for ways to go faster but not often looking for safer cars and helmets. It was not until Dale Earnhardt was killed that racers began paying serious attention to the need for safer helmets and equipment.

To blame the concussions on the league/owners is not a knowledgeable statement.
I'm just guessing here but maybe they are suing saying that the league should mandate those better equipped helmets. and that the league was negligent by not mandating those helmets, or other ways to protect them from concussions. I really don't see what else they could be alleging.
They should sue their parents for making them play football.
Don't they sign a waiver?

The risks are known. The league doesn't control who gets hit and how hard on the football field. The better helmets are there, it's their choice.

All you can argue is that the league should force everyone to wear the most protective helmet possible and fine them if they don't, like people get tickets for not wearing a seatbelt.

But blaming the NFL despite being highly compensate for knowingly engaging in a dangerous profession is really nonsensical.
Originally posted by valrod33:

I agree with this. Questions and concerns about multiple concussions have been around since the 80's, that "I" know of. I certainly remmeber the concerns around Steve Young, how many were too many? It's rather hard to believe that someone played football all through school, college, and into the NFL - and did not realize thy could get hurt. Concussions are the "buzz topic" right now for sure, but this could apply to anything - chronic knee problems, chronic tendonitis, or possiblr heart complications for 300+ pound linemen.

Oh and this just in, Mr. Jamaal Lewis and Dorsey Levens - hot McDonalds coffee is hot! Sorry, someone already beat you to that lawsuit.
This is b******t. I am sure if the NFL knew the risks back then and told them these guys would have said "Ok, I decide not to make millions of dollars and will go work a standard 8 - 5 job.".