There are 176 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How Many Coaches?

Many people are forever mentioning Cower, Gruden, Billick, Jimmy Johnson and sometimes Mooch as potential head coaches when vacancies open up.

How many coaches in the last 15 years or so have left the low-stress cushion job of TV analyst/commentator for the high stress all-consuming HC job?

If I were in their shoes I'd never leave TV for a bucket of stress and personality disordered athletes.

Parcells is the only one I can think of.
Jimmy Johnson when he went to Miami.
Cower is the only one who I think ultimately will come back to coaching if the right situation arises (Philly seems pretty ideal for him). He's also the only coach of those you mentioned who wasn't fired.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I'd like to see Mooch coach again
Mooch won't coach again - he loves life too much now!

Gruden wants to come back, but I think teams feel the game has passed him by.

Cowher - I never see him on TV - is he just a pre-game show guy? He'll come back - he likes the players. But not for some lousy rebuilding gig.

The coaches that get fired and immediately join another team have something to prove, so they keep coming back despite having made good money and being set. I really think coaches should not be hired after they've been a HC for more than 8 years. They are too burned out. No matter what they say, they just don't have the energy or motivation to put in the hours and dedication required to lead a team to a championship anymore -- not in today's year round league. In the old days, they had time each year to rejuvenate -- that is why coaches could last so much longer.
I think Billick, Coher and Gruden all come back.

Gruden and Cower are just waiting for the right opportunity. Billick would have been our coach had Harbaugh opted for another choice.
Originally posted by RayWersching:

Gruden and Cower are just waiting for the right opportunity. Billick would have been our coach had Harbaugh opted for another choice.

nah i think Gruden is over it already. he seems like he enjoys himself now just doing commentary (that annoys me).
Originally posted by RayWersching:

Nobody seems to want to hire Billick.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Dick Vermeil left for longer than all of them and won in SB year 1
Originally posted by TX9R:
Dick Vermeil left for longer than all of them and won in SB year 1

There are always exceptions. I'd like to see Brian Billick given another opportunity. Even bums like Eric Mangini got 2 shots at it.
I honestly think only Cower but for deeper reasons. Losing his wife like that has still gotta be rough as hell, man. I use Liam Nesson as another example. He has worked non stop ever since his wife died. He's pumping out films every couple of months. It's good medicine while he still recovers from that tragedy.

I think at some point Cower will need that too. I think he'll be able to use it as a positive too. He does have leverage with that ring and his record though. He's in a great position to demand just about anything.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
how about letting Dennis Green get 1 more chance? He wasn't that great with the Cardinals but he did sign Warner and beefed up the talent they had there.
One story I heard was that Gruden and A.J. Smith are close. Gruden in San Diego would be interesting, or if Smith get canned by Spanos they could pair up and pick a vacancy . . . hopefully not in St. Louis.