LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 421 users in the forums

Chester McGlockton dies at 42

Shop 49ers game tickets
Chester McGlockton, a four-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle with the Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders who played 12 seasons in the NFL, died early Wednesday morning. He was 42.

The announcement was made by Stanford University, where McGlockton was in his second season as a defensive assistant.

"Everyone in the Stanford football family is deeply saddened by the passing of Chester McGlockton," Stanford coach David Shaw said in a statement. "For the past two seasons, Chester has been a valuable member of our football staff and a wonderful friend to us all. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Chester's wife, Zina, and their two children."

McGlockton's final NFL season was 2003 with the New York Jets. He also played with the Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs and Raiders, who drafted him 16th overall in the first round of the 1992 draft.

He registered 555 tackles, 51 sacks, 14 forced fumbles and four interceptions in his career. He made four straight Pro Bowl trips starting in 1994.

A native of Whiteville, N.C., McGlockton played collegiately for three seasons at Clemson. He received his undergraduate degree from Tennessee-Martin in 2010.

R.I.P. Chester
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
RIP

I remember him he was a good player.

One of my good friends from high school was a big of his and the sad part is he also died this year.

RIP mclachlan
What a cool last name
R.I.P. Cheese

One of the best at his position to ever come through Clemson. Dude was an absolute beast collegiately and had a great professional career as well. Liked hearing him do some radio spots in the past couple of years. Way too young.

He played on a dominant defense at Clemson alongside guys like Brentson Buckner, Ed McDaniel, Wayne Simmons, James Trapp, and Levon Kirkland. He was the focal point a lot of the time.
Sad. I remember picking him up in FA on Madden years and years ago. Weird that a dominant dude I used on a video game is now gone. Taken way too soon...RIP big man.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
sucks man... 40 yrs old is just too young, even if we all consider it middle age. Not saying he's a Hall of Famer, but the guy was a very consistent lineman. Rest in Peace big man
never heard of the guy
RIP

McGlockton was bad ass. Rest In Peace my man
RIP dude.

He played during the time when I had like 3 niner fans and 300 raider fans in my neighborhood.

5 is always greater than 1 (super bowl wins)
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
RIP dude.

He played during the time when I had like 3 niner fans and 300 raider fans in my neighborhood.

5 is always greater than 1 (super bowl wins)

this is true.

but the Raiders have 3 Super Bowl wins.

McGlockton was a really good player. 42 is way too young. RIP.
Huh, 40 is middle age until you get near it. Try 55+. I lost my 59 year old big sister on Thanksgiving and that's tough enough.

But....42 is way to young to die. I really think that as these guys get bigger and faster that it put's a lot of stress on the heart.

Being a 49ers fan for a long time, I can still appreciate what Chester did. He was a dominant inside player. RIP Chester.
Dude was a beast, I really want to know what brought down this former athlete at the young age of 42
Share 49ersWebzone