There are 208 users in the forums

Texans to decide between Garcia, Delhomme.

Shop 49ers game tickets
BTW they werent bringing in Garcia or Delhomme to be a starter they were bringing them in to back up the rookie
Originally posted by valrod33:
they chose Delhomme

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Former Panthers and Browns QB Jake Delhomme reached agreement with the Houston Texans.

Stupid move in my opinion. I'd rather have Garcia filling in -- a guy who can be good off the bench -- than Jake. Delhomee has nothing left. I would've attributed his failure in Cleveland due to poor talent around him if he hadn't started sucking already in Carolina with tons of talent around him. Well, that, and the fact that a rookie in McCoy unseated him. When McCoy missed time, Delhomme looked horrendous coming off the bench.

Garcia is the better backup at this point, in my opinion.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20111128_texans_to_decide_between_garcia_delhomme

I hope they pick Garcia.

Same. In my opinion, it's a no brainer. I mean come on, Garcia came in on an Eagles team that had talent and won a bunch of games. He then led the Bucs to the playoffs. Garcia can just play, and never had the tail off the Delhomme had. Jake just imploded. His injuries caught up and he just can't play like he used to.

Bring in Garcia, get him accustomed to the offense, and then see what he can do if Yates starts making too many mistakes. Jeff has playoff experience -- more recent at that -- than Jake Delhomme.

LOL. Garica is 41 years old and hasnt played in 3 years. Philadelphia was a LONG time ago. How is he a "no brainer'? If he really could still play he wouldnt have been out of the league with all the needs for quality backup QBs. I think Houston should just go with the rookie.

It hasn't been 3 years. It's been two. He last played with Philly in 2009. And Who cares how old he is now!?! -- it's not like he's been sitting on the couch all that time (UFL in the interim) and is out of shape or something. Jeff can do something when he has talent around him. Favre is a million years old and was still making plays out there before last year. After injuries finally did him in, that was it, and if they take Delhomme over Garcia, that's exactly what they're going to get. A 2010-Favre-like beat up guy who can't play. Garcia won't be amazing, but he's certainly better than Jake, despite the age difference. He doesn't have that injury history either.
LOL If you want to count the one game in 2009 with 3 attempts for minus 2 yards.. OK. Me.. I will count his last real season as 2008. There is a reason why NO TEAM wants Jeff Garcia. He is old, hasnt really played in 3 years, and cannot be in great shape no matter how many times he may have sex with his hottie wife. The guy is finished. And one more thing.. comparing Brett Favre to Jeff Garcia? Really?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20111128_texans_to_decide_between_garcia_delhomme

I hope they pick Garcia.

Same. In my opinion, it's a no brainer. I mean come on, Garcia came in on an Eagles team that had talent and won a bunch of games. He then led the Bucs to the playoffs. Garcia can just play, and never had the tail off the Delhomme had. Jake just imploded. His injuries caught up and he just can't play like he used to.

Bring in Garcia, get him accustomed to the offense, and then see what he can do if Yates starts making too many mistakes. Jeff has playoff experience -- more recent at that -- than Jake Delhomme.

LOL. Garica is 41 years old and hasnt played in 3 years. Philadelphia was a LONG time ago. How is he a "no brainer'? If he really could still play he wouldnt have been out of the league with all the needs for quality backup QBs. I think Houston should just go with the rookie.

It hasn't been 3 years. It's been two. He last played with Philly in 2009. And Who cares how old he is now!?! -- it's not like he's been sitting on the couch all that time (UFL in the interim) and is out of shape or something. Jeff can do something when he has talent around him. Favre is a million years old and was still making plays out there before last year. After injuries finally did him in, that was it, and if they take Delhomme over Garcia, that's exactly what they're going to get. A 2010-Favre-like beat up guy who can't play. Garcia won't be amazing, but he's certainly better than Jake, despite the age difference. He doesn't have that injury history either.
LOL If you want to count the one game in 2009 with 3 attempts for minus 2 yards.. OK. Me.. I will count his last real season as 2008. There is a reason why NO TEAM wants Jeff Garcia. He is old, hasnt really played in 3 years, and cannot be in great shape no matter how many times he may have sex with his hottie wife. The guy is finished. And one more thing.. comparing Brett Favre to Jeff Garcia? Really?

I'm comparing them in terms of age. I mean, come on. Both made plays at an old age. THAT'S ALL I'm referring to.

It's just my opinion that Jake Delhomme is more "finished" as a player in the NFL than Garcia, a guy that at least was wanted in the UFL. Delhomme wasn't even wanted in the UFL. NFL teams have shied away from Garcia because of his age for sure, and typically want to go for a younger option. But that doesn't mean Delhomme is suddenly a superior option when he's about to turn 37.... Delhomme played a whopping five games last year before he was finished with injuries. Garcia played almost double that in the UFL, haha.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 29, 2011 at 2:08 PM ]
Texans Fail. The homie is finished. Garcia is by far the better qb.
Originally posted by niners94:
Texans Fail. The homie is finished. Garcia is by far the better qb.

They worked out both QBs and determined this not to be the case
This just gives us the opportunity to re-sign Garcia
Garcia was 132/255 for 1321 yards, with 10 TD's and 11 INT's, for a QB rating of 61.9. in the UFL
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Garcia was 132/255 for 1321 yards, with 10 TD's and 11 INT's, for a QB rating of 61.9. in the UFL

He didnt have any WRs.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Ouch.

I hope they pick Garcia.

I'm comparing them in terms of age. I mean, come on. Both made plays at an old age. THAT'S ALL I'm referring to.

It's just my opinion that Jake Delhomme is more "finished" as a player in the NFL than Garcia, a guy that at least was wanted in the UFL. Delhomme wasn't even wanted in the UFL. NFL teams have shied away from Garcia because of his age for sure, and typically want to go for a younger option. But that doesn't mean Delhomme is suddenly a superior option when he's about to turn 37.... Delhomme played a whopping five games last year before he was finished with injuries. Garcia played almost double that in the UFL, haha.

I dont think either were good options to tell you the truth. I'm just saying there would be no chance I would sign a 41 year old to play QB that hasnt taken more than 3 snaps since 2008.

Wow!
[ Edited by thechamber52 on Nov 29, 2011 at 2:35 PM ]

LOL.
I dont think either were good options to tell you the truth. I'm just saying there would be no chance I would sign a 41 year old to play QB that hasnt taken more than 3 snaps since 2008.

In the NFL. I still disagree that Delhomme is any better, but it's not an issue worth putting tremendous time in arguing over.

People laugh at Garcia's UFL numbers but....

Delhomme last year: 93/149 for 827 yards, 2 TDs, 7 INT in 5 games played.

Even if you prorate those to match Garcia's number of games (8), it comes out to: 1323 yards, 3 TDs, 11 INT.

I just don't know. It's hard to argue, "oh it's just the UFL" because then you have to take into account that he was protected by and throwing to UFL players.

Garcia is too damn old. I think the Texans made the right move
Share 49ersWebzone