LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

How much longer will Norv Turner last in SD?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Ego's are as much the cause of failure as success. The ego clash led to them dismissing Schottenheimer, and also their clinging to Norv. Unless they somehow end up in the AFC championship game or better, I don't see how he gets retained for next season.

(Living in San Diego, the fans are just besides themselves with the let down yet again. It's amazing they don't expect it after every year of let down. But then again, we kept having to believe Nolan or Sing might turn it around!! Painful.)
They could of won a championship had they had the right coach. Too bad. I was watching the 9er game at a bar last week in SD and fans were wining about him while the 9ers were stomping yard ;)
till they interview Greg Roman or David Shaw
After the season, he'll get the boot.

He could be an excellent offensive coordinator in the NFL, not sure who would grab him at this point maybe the Cowboys or the Vikings could use him. He has proven he isn't a good head coach
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I think he'll be a good accompaniment to Jeff Fisher - wherever he lands.

If the Colts decide to clean house and start fresh, Turner could be a great asset to develop Andrew Luck. Fisher at HC will bring creditability to the coaching staff's leadership and direction for the defense, while Turner can direct the offense without the HC getting in the way.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Ego's are as much the cause of failure as success. The ego clash led to them dismissing Schottenheimer, and also their clinging to Norv. Unless they somehow end up in the AFC championship game or better, I don't see how he gets retained for next season.

(Living in San Diego, the fans are just besides themselves with the let down yet again. It's amazing they don't expect it after every year of let down. But then again, we kept having to believe Nolan or Sing might turn it around!! Painful.)

I live here and I expect it every year...
Turner will be fired by the end of the season. A defensive-minded coach will be hired, I think. Or a ST-minded.
Their offense is good enough to compete for the superbowl. Jackson, Gates, the relatively good pass protection, two good RBs, very good QB. Last year, the defense was very good too, imo. But now, the pass defense "chain" seems to suck...like in SF last year. Oh wait, Manusky is their DC. Coincidence?
-hopefully soon.
They replaced a coach who couldn't win in the playoffs (Schottenheimer) with a coach who can't win in the regular season. And stole our OC in the process. History now shows what a dumb move it was.

Only the Chargers could have pulled LaDanian Tomlinson and Drew Brees in the same draft and don't have one Super Bowl appearance to show for it What a stupid franchise.
I believe Norv will be gone at the end of the season. I think they are gonna have to clean house again, which also may lead to some re-doing of the roster also which has lost a bunch of the stocked talent they seemed to have for a number of years

He'll definitely be leaving at the end of the season. Aside from his first year, he has greatly underperformed and their recent drafts have been underwhelming. I think that A. J. Smith is fired as well.
Are there any FA on the Chargers that would fit in with us?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Are there any FA on the Chargers that would fit in with us?

VJax
when will NT accept that he is an outstanding O-coord and a pretty weak HC??
Originally posted by oldtimer49er:
when will NT accept that he is an outstanding O-coord and a pretty weak HC??

Good, not outstanding.

And regarding the HC bit, bearing in mind the talent he has had in SD and what he has achieved, "pretty weak" smacks of English understatement.
Share 49ersWebzone