There are 190 users in the forums

How elite are the Packers?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Given that we are half way through the season and the 49ers are only one game behind the Packers for the best record in the league, I've decided to compare the opponents that Green Bay and San Francisco have faced and will play later in the season. Everyone claims that the Packers are the team to beat in the NFL, and rightfully so, but as ESPN's new show states, numbers don't lie. For all the accolades that Green Bay has gotten so far, the combined W-L record of their opponents up to now is a dismal 28-38. As far as the 49ers opponents are concerned, their combined W-L record is at least a respectable 31-33.

Green Bay fanatics could argue that the 49ers division aides in the 49ers easy schedule, but the 49ers have only faced one on opening weekend which makes their 7-1 record more impressive in my book. Along with the fact that they have yet to face the Lions this season, the Packers second half schedule (where their opponents combined W-L record is 32-27) on paper appears to be more brutal than the 49ers remaining schedule because the combined record for their opponents are only 23-26. Factoring out their divisional games the Packers opposing W-L is 36-43 as whereas the 49ers opposing W-L is 47-34 which to me, would even out their respective strength of schedules.

What does this all mean? Are the Packers overrated at 8-0 or are the 49ers underrated at 7-1? Sure the saying "Any Given Sunday" was demonstrated by the Rams astonishing defeat of the Saints a few weeks ago, but I find it hard to believe that a Jim Harbaugh led team will relinquish the opportunity to win the 49ers first division crown since 2002. With most of their divisional games ahead of them and just nine weeks left in the regular season, week 17 could prove to be essential when determining who has home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

What Do You Think?
Appreciate the post.

Packers are not over-rated. They are legit. Their D is not as good as ours. Their passing game is excellent. They are a well coached team who won the SBowl with superior performance.

They are going to be tough. For us to beat them, we'll have to play mistake free football and come in w/a game plan they aren't prepared for.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
a team with a good running game that can consume the clock along with a solid D is a team that can beat them.
You are what your record says you are. - Tuna
Theyre good but I think theyre some what overrated.
I think teams like the Giants, Eagles, Ravens, Steelers, and maybe us have good chances at beating them

They've beaten the Saints, Panthers, Bears, Broncos, Falcons, Rams, Vikings, Chargers,

They havent played an elite defense yet, I think a team with a great defense or a defense that can get pressure by rushing just 4 players, and a decent offense, can beat them, and their defense is not the same as last years its pretty easy to score on them.

Overrated but still very good. They havent played an elite defense yet
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Appreciate the post.

Packers are not over-rated. They are legit. Their D is not as good as ours. Their passing game is excellent. They are a well coached team who won the SBowl with superior performance.

They are going to be tough. For us to beat them, we'll have to play mistake free football and come in w/a game plan they aren't prepared for.

Originally posted by Team1117:
Given that we are half way through the season and the 49ers are only one game behind the Packers for the best record in the league, I've decided to compare the opponents that Green Bay and San Francisco have faced and will play later in the season. Everyone claims that the Packers are the team to beat in the NFL, and rightfully so, but as ESPN's new show states, numbers don't lie. For all the accolades that Green Bay has gotten so far, the combined W-L record of their opponents up to now is a dismal 28-38. As far as the 49ers opponents are concerned, their combined W-L record is at least a respectable 31-33.

Green Bay fanatics could argue that the 49ers division aides in the 49ers easy schedule, but the 49ers have only faced one on opening weekend which makes their 7-1 record more impressive in my book. Along with the fact that they have yet to face the Lions this season, the Packers second half schedule (where their opponents combined W-L record is 32-27) on paper appears to be more brutal than the 49ers remaining schedule because the combined record for their opponents are only 23-26. Factoring out their divisional games the Packers opposing W-L is 36-43 as whereas the 49ers opposing W-L is 47-34 which to me, would even out their respective strength of schedules.

What does this all mean? Are the Packers overrated at 8-0 or are the 49ers underrated at 7-1? Sure the saying "Any Given Sunday" was demonstrated by the Rams astonishing defeat of the Saints a few weeks ago, but I find it hard to believe that a Jim Harbaugh led team will relinquish the opportunity to win the 49ers first division crown since 2002. With most of their divisional games ahead of them and just nine weeks left in the regular season, week 17 could prove to be essential when determining who has home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

What Do You Think?

So because the 49ers opponents have a won a total of 3 more games than the Packers opponents makes the Packers overrated? That's splitting hairs. The Packers played the Saints early in the year which is a tough team to beat. Atlanta's record might not be that great but its near impossible to beat them at the Georgia dome. Chicago is tough to beat at Soldier Field as well. You can't just look at the overall record and make assumptions. It matters where and when you play teams as well.

All this talk that the 49ers can run the ball and keep the Packers offense off the field is a nice thought but it really hasn't worked against Green Bay. One dimensional running teams really haven't fared well against Green Bay. They faced Matt Forte at Soldier Field and limited him to 9 carries and 2 yards. The NFL's leading rusher only had 2 yards against Green Bay. They held Michael Turner to under 60 yards. The only running teams that have had success running the ball against them was when Green Bay was up by multiple scores and the other team was still running the ball. You won't beat Green Bay by running the ball.

When you break down the matchups its really not a good matchup for the 49ers, despite what so many people are saying. Green Bay is a Top 10 run defense. San Francisco is a Bottom 10 pass defense. How does that work out to the 49ers advantage? Its 49ers offensive strength against Green Bay defensive strength. And Green Bay offensive strength against 49ers defensive weakness. They just put up 45 points on the 6th ranked defensive team. The Bears just shut down an explosive Eagles offense yet Rodgers had a field day against them. The Steelers had the #1 defense in the Super Bowl yet Rodgers torched them. You have to have an offense that can match up with them. You won't beat them on defense alone. That could come around by the end of the year if Alex picks up his game, but right now if the two teams were to play each other, Green Bay would win convincingly. The Chargers played tight coverage and generated a good rush. The Packers offense isn't about tricking teams. They simply make spectacular throws and catches. As they say. There's no defense for a perfect pass. That Packers defense is a lot better than given credit for as well. QBs are throwing for big time yards but having horrible statistical games at the same time. Green Bay is up by 14+ points in teh 4th quarter of every single game. That's why they are giving up so many passing yards. Look at the Box Score though. No QBs are posting good QB Ratings against them. Rivers threw for 385 yards and 4 TDs but posted a lackluster QB Rating. QB Rating differential is one of the most accurate indicators of team success in NFL history. You have to play a perfect offensive game against the Packers. You make one mistake and the game is over.
[ Edited by strat1080 on Nov 11, 2011 at 10:16 AM ]
Do they have an ELI
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I don't think they're overrated. They deserve to be undefeated thus far.

But I do think they're an elite passing offense and an average or worse everything else. They are well coached and their passing offense puts up enough points to cover their mediocrity across the roster.

Can they win the Superbowl? Absolutely. But I don't think they will make it that far. They will have to go through one or two top defenses in the playoffs. If the opposing defense can simply take Rodgers from "superstar" to "star" status...the Packers will lose.

In their last game, the Chargers' offense outscored the Packers' offense. The Packers were able to eek out a win thanks to two pick-6's against a sub .500 Chargers team.

The takeaway: The Packers are an elite team, for sure. But they are not in another world. They have just as many flaws as the other top teams. Including the San Francisco 49ers.
They are the Defending Super Bowl Champs = Nuff Said
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
You are what your record says you are. - Tuna

mostly agree

Originally posted by 9ERFANINAZ:
They are the Defending Super Bowl Champs = Nuff Said

And 8-0.
Their defense isnt nearly as good as last season...mostly the secondary hasnt lived up to the hype.

Ultimately they are the best team in the NFL but I heard something interesting the other day and I forget who it was from...but they said the 49er game is mobile meaning it can be run anywhere, anytime.

That being in cold and bad weather especially and if we are playing GB in December/January at Lambeau chances are the weather will be bad which will severely hurt their passing attack no matter what defense theyre playing. At some point they will have to run the ball consistently and stop the run consistently...2 things they havent done.

To this point their elite passing attack has carried them and they're the best team right now but they wont run away with the title as long as they struggle in those 2/3 areas.
overrated. They really haven't faced anyone
They have a really elite passing game. But I don't see them as elite in a lot of other categories. So far that passing game has been elite enough to overcome all other problems. They are 8 - 0 and defending Super Bowl champs with the best player in the league. So you have to give them some credit. I think they can be beat by maybe 5 - 6 teams in the league including us. But it won't be easy and they won't go down many times this year if at all.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
overrated. They really haven't faced anyone

It's the same team that beat the Steelers in the Superbowl and they have won every game since.

They are not overrated, their only real weakness is their running game but they don't need it.
Share 49ersWebzone