LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 244 users in the forums

Joe Flacco is out of his mind

Shop 49ers game tickets
There are a lot of good QB's in the NFL right now. Don't know that Flacco is there yet (to top 5), but there is something to be said about him that you can't say about many other QB's -- He's been to the playoffs every year, including his rookie season where he led the Ravens to the AFC Championship game.

Rookie season 2008 - AFC Championship loss to PITT
2nd season 2009 - AFC Divisional round loss to INDY
3rd season 2010 - AFC Division round loss to PITT

His stats have improved each year as well and this year he should have an even better year with even more weapons - Boldin, Lee Evans, and highly-touted rookies Torrey Smith and Tandon Doss.

2008: Approx 3000 passing yards with 14 TD, 12 INT, 80.3 passer rating. 180 rushing yards with 2 TD.
2009: 3600+ passing yards with 21 TD, 12 INT, 88.9 passer rating. 56 rushing yards.
2010: 3600+ passing yards with 25 TD, 10 INT, 93.6 passer rating. 84 rushing yards with 1 TD.
2011: ?

He could very well put up 30+ TDs this year.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 21, 2011 at 8:28 AM ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Top 10, yes. Top 5, no.
Now that the D is getting older and more responsibility falls on his shoulders... we shall see!
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Flacco doesnt have a SB ring Eli does. Without Eli shaking off tackles and standing tall NYGs dont win that game. Id say Eli is much better than Flacco. Even Rivers as well. Id take Eli over both of them easily.

I agree with most of this post but look at the numbers Rivers put up with his LACK OF weapons last year. Jackson was gone most of the year, Gates was hurt as well, yet he dominated the league in passing. Eli hasn't been the same since Plaxico left IMO and is very turnover prone
Originally posted by strickac:
Both would be be considered a Top-5 QB if they played for Billicek. I know I'm in the minority, but I think Brady is really good QB playing in a great system. If he had gone to another team, he might not even be starting right now.

This I consider insightful and accurate.

A great system QB. Cassel looked all pro playing that system also.

BTW. I've seen Brady take a few "Chrissy" Everett style nose dives. If he weren't playing for the Patriots, he'd be a laughing stock (unjustified) around the league, just as Jim Everett became.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Most underrated player in the NFL

You gotta be kidding me.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by ItsKapTime:
Youd take Eli Manning over phillip rivers??

Phillip rivers last year:101.8 QB rating 30 TDs 13 INTs, he had crap starting at WR half the time
Eli Manning: 85.3 Rating, 31 TDs, 25 ints

Id take Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Mike Vick, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Schaub, and Josh Freeman over Eli Manning

Yes, 11 qbs. Eli Manning is very very overrated. He led the league in INT's last year
I also think Eli is overrated. He's a franchise QB you can build around, no doubt. But he's had the benefit of having one of the league's best offensive lines and running attacks in the last few years... yet he only posts up numbers like that?

Exactly dude, hes in a great great situation yet he puts up not even good numbers. 25 INTs!

He had 1 good year and hes been average other than that year.

His career rating is 80
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
More like top 15

this
Originally posted by andes14:
He called himself a top-FIVE QB http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/30750/poll-friday-flacco-top-five-qb That would mean he's better than at least one of Brady/Manning/Brees/Rivers/Rodgers....crazy talk

Outside of those 5, I'd say Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Vick (as of last year, anyway), and maybe even Matt Schaub are all better than Flacco.

He's top 10, but on my list he'd probably be 10th.
Everyone is a top 5 QB these days. Someone should ask Kevin Kolb or Trent Edwards.
[ Edited by LAFortyNinerfan on Aug 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM ]

Solid QB - nothing special. Improves every year, uses fairly good judgement, and has a defense that keeps every game within reach.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NickV:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
More like top 15

this

this this
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Most underrated unibrow in the NFL

fixed.
I'm not impressed by him. He is protected by the system, the defense, and the running game. Last year, they put a little more on his plate, and he did fine, but he does not take over a game and carry his team in the clutch like a franchise QB should.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
He called himself a top-FIVE QB http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/30750/poll-friday-flacco-top-five-qb That would mean he's better than at least one of Brady/Manning/Brees/Rivers/Rodgers....crazy talk

Outside of those 5, I'd say Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Vick (as of last year, anyway), and maybe even Matt Schaub are all better than Flacco.

Why Matt Ryan? Flacco has been way more of a playof success than Ryan has. Flacco has been pretty good in the playoffs and Ryan hasn't done anything yet to take his team far.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Why Matt Ryan? Flacco has been way more of a playof success than Ryan has. Flacco has been pretty good in the playoffs and Ryan hasn't done anything yet to take his team far.

Ravens defense >>>> Falcons defense.

Better defense and better coaching = better chance for playoff success. Matt Ryan is the better individual QB, in my opinion. I'm saying that based on what I've seen from both guys, not stats, but looking at their stats, they're damn near identical. A case can be made for either guy.
Share 49ersWebzone