There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

New ESPN Total QB Rating System Announced - How do our QB's rate?

Alex Smith was fantastic in the redzone, so maybe we just put him in when we get into the redzone.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
LOL dude c'mon. Find us ONE person who is defending "2/7 for 10 yards."

s**t like this is so irritating in Niner Talk. Someone makes ONE reasonable Alex Smith post (i.e. "He wasn't good but this is why and he needs to play better...it's hist last chance.") And some how that equates to: "I LUV TEH SMYTH AND DEEFEND TIL DETH DOO US PART DOOD!"

lol check out the good the bad and the ugly thread there is someone defending Alex using the drew brees stats from that game...lmao.....
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF: Alex Smith went 2 for 7, for 10 yards. I was expecting more from a 7 YEAR VETERAN!
I know and that guy on the other team..... what was his name.......oh yeah....Drew Brees or whatever he was only 1/4 for 6 yards from an 11 YEAR VETERAN! Poor Saints are going to have a rough year with that guy as their qb...... There it is folks....someone actually defending 2for 7 10 yds
[ Edited by MertonHanksneck on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:06 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
I am very suspicious of any "advanced" statistics that list 2/3rds of the starting qbs in the league as "above average"

I am suspicious of any zoner that cannot perform simple math functions. Above average = less than 1/2.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Might this be yet another thinly veiled alex hate thread?

why, because the information is inconvenient?

No. Because the only reason you posted this is because of your hate of alex smith......
Knew shaun hill was better then alex smith
Originally posted by MertonHanksneck:
lol check out the good the bad and the ugly thread there is someone defending Alex using the drew brees stats from that game...lmao.....
I know and that guy on the other team..... what was his name.......oh yeah....Drew Brees or whatever he was only 1/4 for 6 yards from an 11 YEAR VETERAN! Poor Saints are going to have a rough year with that guy as their qb...... There it is folks....someone actually defending 2for 7 10 yds

It wasn't defending 2 for 7 but rather stating what is obvious. The other guy is a superbowl winning qb who faired not better on Friday night. Simple as that. Were you really thinking we were going to win that game? Did you really think the O was going to fire on all cylinders? You realize the entire O had zero offseason to learn the playbook and practice. And that we have a new wr and Crabs is missing. Its gonna take just a bit of time for our entire team so we can all relax until the games matter.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
I am waiting for an Alex Smith fan to come up with a system that makes 2-7 for 10 yards look good.

but his mechanics are good
Originally posted by rk1642:
It wasn't defending 2 for 7 but rather stating what is obvious. The other guy is a superbowl winning qb who faired not better on Friday night. Simple as that. Were you really thinking we were going to win that game? Did you really think the O was going to fire on all cylinders? You realize the entire O had zero offseason to learn the playbook and practice. And that we have a new wr and Crabs is missing. Its gonna take just a bit of time for our entire team so we can all relax until the games matter.

I'm not going to argue about this much longer...but comparing Alex to Drew Brees is a joke.....and no, I diddn't think we were going to win that game, especially after the first quarter of play. I'm also not going to make excuses about why we lost...we looked like hell on offense, we played just ok on defense, but you are right about the fact that it will take time for this team to become a cohesive unit...on a side note JH called a vanilla gameplan on both sides of the ball, so it is way too early to pass judgement on how we looked; considering we were playing to not show our hand, which was a wise choice imo. sorry if I offended you!
[ Edited by MertonHanksneck on Aug 14, 2011 at 11:03 PM ]
Originally posted by MertonHanksneck:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
LOL dude c'mon. Find us ONE person who is defending "2/7 for 10 yards."

s**t like this is so irritating in Niner Talk. Someone makes ONE reasonable Alex Smith post (i.e. "He wasn't good but this is why and he needs to play better...it's hist last chance.") And some how that equates to: "I LUV TEH SMYTH AND DEEFEND TIL DETH DOO US PART DOOD!"

Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF: Alex Smith went 2 for 7, for 10 yards. I was expecting more from a 7 YEAR VETERAN!

LOL I still don't see how he's "defending" his stats. He's just putting everything in perspective. Defending Smith's stats would be saying, "well he did complete 2 passes....so lighten up." Guess we just have different definitions of "defending."
Originally posted by Shaj:
how do you know? they can have a statistic that shows that with 7+ points deficit with one quarter or less to go, what % of the time do they win, and what is the average # of points are they able to score. This is highly calculable.

That's an arbitrary definition of being clutch. You come up with that definition, and I could come up with something like "last 5:00 of a one possession game". If you count win pct as a part of the statistic, then you also fail to throw in a host of confounding factors. For instance:

1. Defensive performance.
2. Number of timeouts remaining.
3. Turnovers from non-QB related plays (special teams, running back coughing it up).
4. Penalties unrelated to the QB.
5. Botched replays

The list goes on for things that could kill a game regardless of the QB "coming through in the clutch". How many times have you seen a QB out up a TD in the last possession but still leave enough time on the clock to allow a FG for the other team?

The point here is that any type of "clutchness" measure is going to be complex, subjective, and biased towards some criteria more than others and you're going to be hard pressed to factor in everything even with all the stats available now. It's safe to say that any clutchness stat that they used is nowhere even close to that complex.