LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

If we get any divisional re-alignment, what would you like to see?

Shop 49ers game tickets
If we get any re-alignment, what would you like to see?

I would like to see more regional divisions in order to increase rivalries. Here is what I would do.

New NFC South:

New Orleans
Atlanta
Houston
Tennessee

Why? Paired Rivalries -- 6 hours from houston to new orleans, 4 hours from Atlanta to Tennessee. More inter-fan rivalries and ability to go to divisional games

New AFC East:

New England
NY Jets
Buffalo
Baltimore

Why? Again, more regional rivalries. Baltimore, New England, and the Jets all despise each other too -- it only makes sense.

New AFC North:

Pit
Cle
Cin
Ind

Why? I don't know why this wasn't done in the first place -- all 4 teams are in the greater Ohio Valley and within 6 hours of each other

New AFC South:

Miami
Tampa Bay
Jacksonville
Carolina

Why: The Florida league, with Carolina only 6 hours from Jacksonville.

** NFC West? If the Vikings move to L.A., they would probably roll to the NFC West and the Rams would go to the NFC North...the NFC North would then have some pretty geographically close rivalries

** AFC West? I can't see any way to re-design the division. I guess if Jacksonville moved to L.A., they would go to the AFC West; Kansas City would move out to another division...getting KC in the same division with Dallas and STL would be optimal if it's workable.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 14, 2011 at 7:05 AM ]
All them Florida teams wouldn't be a rivalry. Folks in Florida at the beach chilling to worry about a rivalry. they are more concerned about college football rivalries than the NFL.

No way would they ever break up the Baltimore vs Pittsburgh rivalry. Ravens vs Jets or Patriots isn't on the same level. that's like saying since the Pats and Colts have a rivalry they should be in the same division. Plus the Jets vs Pats is already the rivalry in that division.
I'd like SF to be in a new division every year. Niners should be relocated to an NFC division with three other teams that hold the top 3 draft picks each year. Then, maybe we'll finally win a division title even with a losing record.

But really, I like some of your ideas. Is the Vikings only team that may move to LA? I thought there was at least one other team, but maybe I heard wrong. But if that were to happen, then Rams would take Minn. place.
Originally posted by lamontb:
All them Florida teams wouldn't be a rivalry. Folks in Florida at the beach chilling to worry about a rivalry. they are more concerned about college football rivalries than the NFL.

No way would they ever break up the Baltimore vs Pittsburgh rivalry. Ravens vs Jets or Patriots isn't on the same level. that's like saying since the Pats and Colts have a rivalry they should be in the same division. Plus the Jets vs Pats is already the rivalry in that division.

Dude, the Pats and Colts were in the same division for a while. And Rex Ryan vs. the Jets would be fantastic.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Dude, the Pats and Colts were in the same division for a while. And Rex Ryan vs. the Jets would be fantastic.

Rex Ryan vs. The Jets?
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Rex Ryan vs. The Jets?

!!!
I would like to see 2 teams move out west then:

Sea, SF, LA (formally Jax), Ari
Oak, Vegas/Vancouver/Portland (formally Minn), Orange County Chargers, Den
GB, Chi, STL, KC
DAL, Hou, Tenn, NO
Mia, TB, Car, ATL
Indy, Cinni, DET, Clev
Pitt, Toronto (formally Buf), Balt, Jets
Wash, Philly, Giants, Pats (sponsored by ESPN)
this is (at least) the second thread about realignment in the last couple of months. I know its the offseason, and with the lockout there's very little NFL to talk about, but, as I said in the other thread, are people really unhappy with the current alignment, or is this just one of those, "s**t, I'm bored" type of hypotheticals?
I would like people to leave it alone
I think the league should go back to 6 divisons, that way there will be less of a chance of a 7-9 team winning their divison. This is an idea that's crosses my mind when I'm bored. Only problem would be there would be two 6 team divisons, so some teams would have division heavy schedules. So it's better off the way it is.

I think the last divisional realignment in 2002 with the Seahawks coming back to the NFC West will be the last significant realignment for quite a while. Minnesota will probably remain in place. But if Jax moves to L.A. I could see a potential inter-conference swap of St. Louis/L.A.(Jax), but probably not until several years after the move if it's clear the new L.A. franchise is going to make it.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

This
Originally posted by Esco:

This
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Esco:

This

• NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:
I would like to see 2 teams move out west then:

Sea, SF, LA (formally Jax), Ari
Oak, Vegas/Vancouver/Portland (formally Minn), Orange County Chargers, Den
GB, Chi, STL, KC
DAL, Hou, Tenn, NO
Mia, TB, Car, ATL
Indy, Cinni, DET, Clev
Pitt, Toronto (formally Buf), Balt, Jets
Wash, Philly, Giants, Pats (sponsored by ESPN)

Share 49ersWebzone