LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Salary cap question (mainly for FA)

Shop 49ers game tickets
i was wondering what our salary cap situation is looking like and how much money we can spend

i would like to know how much we would have left for FA assuming we sign our draft picks to the to their slot value

this is mainly to see how much money we have to sign a big time FA hopefully like woodly or namdi

thanks a lot for anyone that can help
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i was wondering what our salary cap situation is looking like and how much money we can spend

i would like to know how much we would have left for FA assuming we sign our draft picks to the to their slot value

this is mainly to see how much money we have to sign a big time FA hopefully like woodly or namdi

With no CBA, theres no telling what the cap will be when their is one.
I hope I'm wrong... but my money is on no cap. I don't want the NFL to be like baseball... and hell I'm a Yankees fan so the whole no cap thing works for me in baseball
The current salary cap is so high it's been a non-issue for most teams for several years.
We need a cap. Thats whats going to make us different then baseball. every team has a equal chance and the players wont be chasing money they will be playing the game.. A kids game common now
We need a cap. Here is my proposal

Have a cap no higher than 135M for 2011.

and in future years to make it fair use the rules that we had last year which limits the final 8 teams standing from getting big players unless they are released.
i feel stupid i though we had a cap and it was like 100- 120 mill

up until 2010 there was a cap, under the CBA last yr was the 1st uncapped yr in yrs.

Now without a cba the cap is in lingo.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

up until 2010 there was a cap, under the CBA last yr was the 1st uncapped yr in yrs.

aha then i was riht lol well half right anyways

thx for the help guys
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

aha then i was riht lol well half right anyways

thx for the help guys

no problem, thats what I'm hear for, im the resident cap guy.

In my opinion, we should not need a cap like back in the 80s, I mean I look back in those days and salaries were actually a lot more reasonable than what they are now and we had the cap from I believe 1994 or 93 to the season before last year which is the 2009-2010 season or 16 or 17 years now. I believe the salary for guys like Dan Marino and Steve Young was like 5-6 million a year in 94/95 and that was pretty close to the high man in the nfl in those days, and now we have corners and WRs making like 10-15 million a year for the duration that we had the salary cap, which is crazy to me. We're talking 2-3 times the salary of the top qbs a few years back, I don't know if the answers are in the cap, but potentially there should be a governmental control over these things or the nfl (both sides) should bring that kind of environment back to the game, instead of being so profit driven in all aspects. I can see something like a 15-20 percent increase, but several hundred percent increase, my reaction is just wow. Should these players be making this kind of money? I don't know, I know at making just 2 million a year, one is in the top 10 percent of the world's population salary, its up to the eyes of the beholder. What were we doing differently then, which we are not doing now?
Originally posted by niteshade80:
In my opinion, we should not need a cap like back in the 80s, I mean I look back in those days and salaries were actually a lot more reasonable than what they are now and we had the cap from I believe 1994 or 93 to the season before last year which is the 2009-2010 season or 16 or 17 years now. I believe the salary for guys like Dan Marino and Steve Young was like 5-6 million a year in 94/95 and that was pretty close to the high man in the nfl in those days, and now we have corners and WRs making like 10-15 million a year for the duration that we had the salary cap, which is crazy to me. We're talking 2-3 times the salary of the top qbs a few years back, I don't know if the answers are in the cap, but potentially there should be a governmental control over these things or the nfl (both sides) should bring that kind of environment back to the game, instead of being so profit driven in all aspects. I can see something like a 15-20 percent increase, but several hundred percent increase, my reaction is just wow. Should these players be making this kind of money? I don't know, I know at making just 2 million a year, one is in the top 10 percent of the world's population salary, its up to the eyes of the beholder. What were we doing differently then, which we are not doing now?

Holy Crap! Obama is a Niner fan and goes by the handle, "niteshade80."

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 13, 2011 at 19:59:43 ]
I'm not really for or against a salary cap. Just b/c a teams spends the most doesn't mean they are spending it on quality and winning players. See Redskins and Haynesworth.
The way the cap has been going up the last few years it has been pretty much non-existent. The cap should stay a thing of the past. Just continue the revenue sharing and let the teams that want to spend their own money to go right ahead and do that. The way the NFL is now, going on spending sprees and signing all the top free agents doesn't guarantee a damn thing. Top teams in the league now are the best drafting teams.

There currently is NO salary cap and until a new collective bargaining agreement is signed we have no idea what it will be in 2011, if there is one at all.
Share 49ersWebzone