LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Singletary future Bears coach?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TN-Niner:
I am not a Bears fan, but heck I do not hate them that much either.

Lol! I don't mind the Bears and, as a person, I don't mind Singletary. But I do think he has a lot to learn before he is given a HC position in the NFL again. Maybe he should spend a few years in the college game.
Originally posted by English:

Lol! I don't mind the Bears and, as a person, I don't mind Singletary. But I do think he has a lot to learn before he is given a HC position in the NFL again. Maybe he should spend a few years in the college game.

agreed, but you know you still need to plan and scheme in college, that was his weakness.
Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
Originally posted by susweel:
in chicago he inherits jay cutler

Yah why would he want a top ten QB.

Cutler is not a top 10 QB

This post is an excellent example of why it's important to actually watch the games.

I'm not going to say that there is no value in statistics, but stats can be very misleading.

Sure, you can look at winning percentage and decide that Singletary wasn't a bad coach. But if actually watched the games you'd know that he was in way over his head and had no idea how to manage a game.

I hope that everyone remembers this example around draft time, because the same thing happens with draft prospects. We will get all caught up in a players numbers (both game numbers and combine numbers) and people will forget what that guy actually looked like when he played the game. Remember how concerned everyone was Rodgers wasn't even a full 6'2"? Sounds pretty silly today doesn't it?
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

He sure looked like one against the niners during 2008...LOL

too bad this is 2011, and he's twenty times better now....LOL
Lovie Smith got to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman at QB. No way in hell that Singletary would be an upgrade for them. That guy is an idiot.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by pelos21:
LMAO!

Interesting quote from some dude:

He took over a team that was .327 under Mike Nolan. Not good.
He immediately got them over .500.

His biggest problem is that he had no QB.

Mike Singlertary was 18-22 as a HC. During that exact same regular season time frame, Ken Whisenhunt of the Cards was 20-20. Two games better. Big Deal.

Also, Singletary was 3-1 head-to-head agianst Whisenhunt.
More importantly, is this: Singletary inherited Alex Smith. Whisenhunt inherited Kurt Warner.

See the difference there? One had Alex Smith. The other had Kurt Warner. Get it?

Make the move Chicago!

Singletary's team looked good because of Martz and the defense. Martz helped to balance the offense, countering Singletary's ultra-conservative philosophy. If he goes to Chicago and keeps Martz, maybe it works. If Singletary is allowed to run a team the way he sees fit, it will be run run run, ball control, a complete lack of preparation on gameday, and no relevant adjustments at half-time. He ran Gore into the ground, and brought Jimmy Raye back to call plays and was overruled when Raye was fired. He wanted to keep Raye even after an 0-5 start. That should tell you everything right there.

no... they looked good because teams usually look good after firing a coach, I still dont get the Martz love here, he is not that good of a coach. At the bye week this year pretty much every Bears fan wanted him fired. They probably aren't in the Super Bowl because of Martz stupid decision to keep Todd Collins as the #2 QB, when it was clear in his other start he is done as a professional QB (Reminds me of his stupid choice to start O'Sullivan here) The reason he wasn't a good coach is because he doesn't know how to game plan and never had stable QB play. Maybe being fired and working for his friend Leslie Frazier will help... but i doubt it. HOF players just don't have the mind set to be coaches.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Looks like Dingletary is still delusional. He is quite a piece of work, in way over his head as a head coach and not realizing how bad he sucked. He had the attitude of someone who had won numerous Super Bowls as a coach and should not be second guessed, when in reality he would make anyone's top ten worst coach in the history of the NFL list. I wish him nothing but failure, what a joke.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I think Fisher would be a better option than Singletary AND Lovie Smith
Originally posted by BobS:
Looks like Dingletary is still delusional. He is quite a piece of work, in way over his head as a head coach and not realizing how bad he sucked. He had the attitude of someone who had won numerous Super Bowls as a coach and should not be second guessed, when in reality he would make anyone's top ten worst coach in the history of the NFL list. I wish him nothing but failure, what a joke.

I hear ya, I think Chicago would rather have you coach them (or even me) with all respect!

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

agreed, but you know you still need to plan and scheme in college, that was his weakness.

High School, then!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

High School, then!

If he had a 280 pound o-line average against teams that didn't have a 200 pounder on defense he could consistently win.
Yep bathroom attendent coach.
More like interim Vikings HC when Frazier gets canned.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

He sure looked like one against the niners during 2008...LOL

He threw 5 thats right 5 ints in 3 different games last year and this year 4 to deangelo hall. No other qb could orwould do that....not even a rookie.
Share 49ersWebzone