Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
To answer the question at the top:

I'd rather be 6-2 in the Super Bowl than 5-0. Hell, I'd rather be 6-6 than 5-0. More Super Bowls, win or lose, are always a good thing. Ask the Laker fans if they'd rather be 5-2 in the NBA Finals since '99 or if they'd prefer the Spurs 4-0.

its a 49ers legacy thing. the Cowboys have been in 8 Super Bowls. the Steelers have been in 8. the Broncos have been in 6. the Patriots have been in 6. Packers have been in 5. but none of them are perfect. 49ers are 5 for 5.

i would never, EVER want the 49ers to go to the Super Bowl and lose. its not an option. being happy just to go is loser talk. missing the playoffs, or losing the Super Bowl, youre a loser either way. you failed. if you have to fail, why would you want do it in the most painful way.

As a fan ive experienced losing a WS, ive experienced losing 2 NBA Finals, ive experienced losing the NCAA march madness championship game. it sucks really, really bad. its painful, and you never forget.

part of being a Niner fan is the pride of 5-0. call me crazy, but id rather be 6-10 than lose the Super Bowl. Going to the big game doesnt guarantee youll ever be back, and if you lose, you just became the 31st loser of the season, and it hurts worse than everyone elses season did.

The Steelers season is way more impressive than the 49ers season. Going to the Super Bowl, win or lose, is impressive. I think the 5-0 talk is just our way of trying to stay relevant while the team underperforms.

maybe so. but its all we got when fans of other teams start making fun of us. Either way the Steelers losing keeps us in striking distance of being back on top. Super Bowl losses to me dont signify anything but a failed season. you might have been the 2nd best team in the NFL, but you failed. a Super Bowl win is the goal.

Dallas has been to 8 super bowls, but lost 3. ive never understood the argument that "5-3 is better than 5-0 because they went more times". SB losses mean nothing. thats why if we win another ring, 6-0 trumps 6-2 without a doubt.

on a side note, the 49ers have 188 SB pts in 5 games, while the Steelers have 193 pts in 8 games. the Steelers have played in THREE more SB than us, and they only outscored us by 5.

LOL. look at all those 1-0 teams that are "above" teams like Pittsburg and Dallas.
This chart is silly.

87 years from now when we still havent reached another SB, we'll still be crowing about our 5-0 record.

silly mathematics and its win percentages...

the chart isnt saying 1-0 teams are better. its a win% chart. 1-0 = 1.000

And what do you think "Superbowl Standings" connotes or denotes? And you included it to reinforce your point that our 5-0 or maybe someday 6-0 record is better than a team that's been to the SB 8 times and has a 6-2 record?

Keep the records separate. Most number of SB appearances, most number of wins.

Win percentage looks good but really should only come into play after what? 3 or more SB appearances? Good for bragging rights but at the end of the day, I'll take number of appearances plus a majority of wins as the standard of sustained excellence.
To answer the question at the top:

I'd rather be 6-2 in the Super Bowl than 5-0. Hell, I'd rather be 6-6 than 5-0. More Super Bowls, win or lose, are always a good thing. Ask the Laker fans if they'd rather be 5-2 in the NBA Finals since '99 or if they'd prefer the Spurs 4-0.

its a 49ers legacy thing. the Cowboys have been in 8 Super Bowls. the Steelers have been in 8. the Broncos have been in 6. the Patriots have been in 6. Packers have been in 5. but none of them are perfect. 49ers are 5 for 5.

i would never, EVER want the 49ers to go to the Super Bowl and lose. its not an option. being happy just to go is loser talk. missing the playoffs, or losing the Super Bowl, youre a loser either way. you failed. if you have to fail, why would you want do it in the most painful way.

As a fan ive experienced losing a WS, ive experienced losing 2 NBA Finals, ive experienced losing the NCAA march madness championship game. it sucks really, really bad. its painful, and you never forget.

part of being a Niner fan is the pride of 5-0. call me crazy, but id rather be 6-10 than lose the Super Bowl. Going to the big game doesnt guarantee youll ever be back, and if you lose, you just became the 31st loser of the season, and it hurts worse than everyone elses season did.

So you would rather be 5-0 in SBs than say 8-1? Really? I know I wouldnt and I would venture to say that 99.9999999% of fans of their team wouldnt either.
So what now with the Steelers? Does Big Ben lose consideration from being considered one of the elite quarterbacks?

Is Troy Polamalu now a liability in their secondary?

What went wrong with the Steelers?

Im tired of all this Packers/AR12 talk.
NFL seriously needs to switch the SB to Saturdays.
Originally posted by Joecool:
NFL seriously needs to switch the SB to Saturdays.

That's actually not a bad idea. It would give most people the day off they want after the big party. If they moved the game to February, then they shouldn't have a problem moving it to Saturday.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
So what now with the Steelers? Does Big Ben lose consideration from being considered one of the elite quarterbacks?

They give Timmons the franchise tag, and have a solid draft. There's no question to me they are still one of the Elite AFC teams despite playing pretty crappy vs GB, I think they recover from this loss & make the playoffs in '11

[ Edited by Paul on Feb 10, 2011 at 09:15:34 ]
  • dj43

A lot of people were surprised by the Packer win, but only because they had not followed the Packers during the regular season. It was clear that the Packers were very deep and had excellent schemes on both sides of the ball. Their only problem early on was the incredible run of injuries that had, most importantly with the OL. Once they got Chad Clifton back they began to roll.

There is nothing wrong with Ben or Polamalu. What went wrong was that they ran into a very good team that had gotten healthy and had a very bright HC and terrific DC and they outcoached and outplayed the Steelers.

The Packers are going to be very good for a long time. They are young and deep and talented.
Originally posted by dj43:

A lot of people were surprised by the Packer win, but only because they had not followed the Packers during the regular season. It was clear that the Packers were very deep and had excellent schemes on both sides of the ball. Their only problem early on was the incredible run of injuries that had, most importantly with the OL. Once they got Chad Clifton back they began to roll.

There is nothing wrong with Ben or Polamalu. What went wrong was that they ran into a very good team that had gotten healthy and had a very bright HC and terrific DC and they outcoached and outplayed the Steelers.

The Packers are going to be very good for a long time. They are young and deep and talented.

it will be interesting to see if Polamalu can stay healthy. He's been racking up some injuries the last few seasons, not surprising considering his size and the way he plays. I hope we're not seeing him in decline.
Share 49ersWebzone