LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

stupid shannahan

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Great job Shannahan, this is all in the plan to get the 49ers in Championship form again. Donovan your #5 jersey is waiting for you in San Fran, Carr dont want it.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
mcnabb did it to himself by sucking. I'll take a guy who gave Elway his best years, made Plummer, Brister, and Cutler look great over a fat choker like McFlab.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
i dont really like shanahan and for those of you who are gonna say he was a great OC for us.. thats great.. i was two years old when that happened lol.

but i was just looking at a bunch of players from the 1994 championship team on wikipedia and i realized quite a few had 3 championships.. 1 with the niners.. and 2 with denver... he went to denver.. had a HOF of QB and TE and some good receivers and a safety.. then he took a bunch of quality players from the niners and that is why he was successful. after all that ended.. he was garbage and that goes to show the same in washington.

i dont like him very much cause i didnt like him in denver in the last few years and i hate the way he has treated mcnabb.

Shannahan was a great OC for us.
Originally posted by English:
Take Terrell Davis out of the equation and both Elway and Shan start to look somewhat overrated. They both attract some respect for what they did without him. But if you take out 97 and 98 Shanahan's record starts to look very ordinary. And in my view he should have been able to achieve much more in all that time if he was indeed that good.

I rated him highly when he was with us and was very sorry to lose him. But, as I say, a head coach should not be so dependent on one player. Excluding the two Super Bowl years, how many playoff games did he win? One. In 17 years.

if you take out joe montana and steve young, take out the 81,84,88,89 and 94seasons and we dont have a superbowl win and our record starts to look very ordinary too. whats your point?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Take Terrell Davis out of the equation and both Elway and Shan start to look somewhat overrated. They both attract some respect for what they did without him. But if you take out 97 and 98 Shanahan's record starts to look very ordinary. And in my view he should have been able to achieve much more in all that time if he was indeed that good.

I rated him highly when he was with us and was very sorry to lose him. But, as I say, a head coach should not be so dependent on one player. Excluding the two Super Bowl years, how many playoff games did he win? One. In 17 years.

if you take out joe montana and steve young, take out the 81,84,88,89 and 94seasons and we dont have a superbowl win and our record starts to look very ordinary too. whats your point?

seriously???? Your going there???
Originally posted by Jcool:

only to show how stupid his statement sounds. he just told us to take away one of shanahans most important players and his two best years as a coach. why is it a problem when i did it?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

only to show how stupid his statement sounds. he just told us to take away one of shanahans most important players and his two best years as a coach. why is it a problem when i did it?

Well for one you took it to the extreme. Two the 49ers teams where pretty different teams from the 81-84 champs and the 88-89 champs. Walsh sustained excellence and reloaded... Shannahan had a great running game and that allowed an over the hill QB to get them two Superbowl's and ever since then he has not gotten close to that.
Living in DC and watching Shanahan I would say he's vastly overrated. Maybe what works in Denver just doesn't fly on the east coast. But he's super rude to the media and talks down to ppl like they are beneath him. Never gives a straight answer to anything. Lied 2 or 3 times about the McNabb situation. Basically it's his son vs McNabb which just rubs most of the Skins fan base the wrong way. On top of that he forced the Skins to go to a 3-4 which took them from a top 10 defense to dead last. Traded away picks for McNabb and Jamal Brown. And they still talking about bringing back Haynesworth this week in the press conference. could just be a bad year. Time will tell, but I'm sure glad he isn't the Niners coach.
It's McNabb's fault that he showed up fat, outta shape and so slow he couldn't run a two minute offense.

although i do agree that shanahan is an overrated head coach

Originally posted by DrE_DiESeL97:
The kid needs to actually watch those teams in action instead of using the Wikipedia crutch to look up "what football was like when he was 2 years old."

You are obviously way too young to appreciate what Mike Shanahan has accomplished in the NFL which is quite unfortunate.

Yep.

I don't think I can even be bothered to discuss this with you, as you appear to be unaware of our playoff record.

Notwithstanding, Terrell Davis was the key to Shanahan. Take him out of the equation and what you have left is very average.
lol@TErrell DAvis being "the key." What a joke. Is that way he made Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson look like complete studs immediately after? Give me a break.
lol@TErrell DAvis being "the key." What a joke. Is that way he made Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson look like complete studs immediately after? Give me a break.

A joke? So how many playoff wins did Shanahan get in his long HC career, without Davis?

Consider yourself given a break

A joke? So how many playoff wins did Shanahan get in his long HC career, without Davis?

Consider yourself given a break

About the same amount he won when he lost his starting QB too. Great job being singleminded. You take away the starting QB and RB and most HCs are going to struggle, and he still managed to get them into the playoffs. Also, that team was built full of aging veterans, and the Offense didn't significantly drop off either. Elway, Plummer, and Cutler all had their best years under Shanahan, and Steve Young called him the 2nd best playcaller he's been around since Walsh.

Let's just adopt your warped mentality and assume he isn't a good HC (who has won 2 superblowls with hardly any elite draft talent no less), he has a PROVEN track record when it comes to the offensive side of the ball. To blame him for Mcnabb's failings as a fat, overrated, inaccurate QB who got outplayed by Rex Grossman is a sure sign of stupidity. You should take a break as well.
[ Edited by binary2nd on Jan 16, 2011 at 2:49 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone