There are 103 users in the forums

Another win for the Rooney Rule!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Quote:
Well, Ray Sherman’s head-coaching interview with the Dallas Cowboys must have gone badly.

Really, really badly.

The team’s receivers coach since 2007, Sherman wasn’t hired to be the team’s next head coach. He also won’t be promoted to the job of offensive coordinator, a position that became vacant after Jason Garrett was promoted from interim head coach to head coach.

In fact, Sherman reportedly won’t even remain employed by the team.

According to Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com, Sherman’s contract has expired and won’t be renewed.

The move will fuel suspicions that the interview of Sherman for head coach was a Rooney Rule sham. And if the Cowboys truly viewed Sherman as a legitimate candidate to be the next head coach of the team, something must have gone horribly wrong in his interview to persuade the Cowboys that he was unfit for further employment on the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/09/cowboys-parting-ways-with-ray-sherman/

Will Dallas have to pay out some cash???
Of course it was a sham, it was obvious from the get go. The Rooney Rule is a joke and totally disrespectful to minorities.
I don't blame the Cowgirls. Its the stupid ass rule. It's completely counterproductive.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Of course it was a sham, it was obvious from the get go. The Rooney Rule is a joke and totally disrespectful to minorities.

.... but the majority always seem to bend the rules with no consequences as always in everything in life
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

.... but the majority always seem to bend the rules with no consequences as always in everything in life

Exactly. This rule was actually quite helpful when it was first established in 2003. But now its a complete joke. Look at all the black coaches who are good HCs. and have jobs. Tony Dungy, Raheem Norris, Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin...

I don't think its much of a problem anymore.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Exactly. This rule was actually quite helpful when it was first established in 2003. But now its a complete joke. Look at all the black coaches who are good HCs. and have jobs. Tony Dungy, Raheem Norris, Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin...

Dingy isn't coaching and I don't think those guys needed that rule to get a gig. Who cares if teams abuse the rule. The fact is that it gets minority coaches an interview, a foot in the door. It's their job to impress.
Originally posted by strickac:

Dingy isn't coaching and I don't think those guys needed that rule to get a gig. Who cares if teams abuse the rule. The fact is that it gets minority coaches an interview, a foot in the door. It's their job to impress.

I'm mentioning all successful black HCs in recent history...

And I know that those guys didn't need to have that rule, but its just that, IMO, racism in hiring NFL coaches isn't as big of a deal as it was, say, 10 years ago.

I know it still exists, but the Rooney Rule itself is racist. Its kind of ironic..
It would put a smile on my face if Dallas gets fined and take another loss
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
It would put a smile on my face if Dallas gets fined and take another loss

And I know that those guys didn't need to have that rule, but its just that, IMO, racism in hiring NFL coaches isn't as big of a deal as it was, say, 10 years ago.

I know it still exists, but the Rooney Rule itself is racist. Its kind of ironic..

agreed. it's like saying hmm minority coaches aren't good enough to get jobs so lets give them a better chance by getting them a bulls**t interview that is being conducted just to fit this rule

Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

agreed. it's like saying hmm minority coaches aren't good enough to get jobs so lets give them a better chance by getting them a bulls**t interview that is being conducted just to fit this rule

Exactly. I understand that Dan Rooney meant it to be helpful, but tis totally counterproductive.
niners should look at him as WR coach, hes pretty good.

Yeah but just the fact that the minorities name is thrown out there helps the minority. It puts a national spotlight on the candidate and other teams will look into the resume to see why he was considered
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Yeah but just the fact that the minorities name is thrown out there helps the minority. It puts a national spotlight on the candidate and other teams will look into the resume to see why he was considered

Well, often, the reason this si b/c the team has to comply with the rule, so...yeah.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Well, often, the reason this si b/c the team has to comply with the rule, so...yeah.

exactly. if the minority candidate had a chance for the job, it was because he's a good coach, and not cause of the rooney rule
Share 49ersWebzone