LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Singletary's first decision his final undoing

Shop 49ers game tickets
Back when Mike Singletary was promoted to head coach from interim he almost immediately fired Mike Martz. I thought it then and I still believe it now. This was the worst mistake he could've made. Even though I was in love with Sing at the time the choice baffled me. I remember saying to one of my roomates at the time, "if you say consistency is your biggest concern why do you fire the current guy?" They were an unhappy marriage but one that was good for the kids. The defense played better under singletary because the offense was effective. I'm not sure it was the switch on D as much as it was the switch at QB since JTO wasn't turning the ball over 3-4 times a game(tends to make it easier on a defense). While the offense probably turned the ball over more than it should and didn't run Frank enough it was effective, it scored points and made Shaun Hill look like a star. Sing said he wanted consistency and continuity at the offensive coordinator position and that is why he fired Martz.... didn't make sense then and doesn't now. Instead of having year 2 of the Martz system, when it really takes off, he moved him on and now the Bears are playoff bound with Martz at the offensive healm and we've fired another OC and are headed into another year without the playoffs...

Maybe we should hire Martz as HC.... maybe not but come one, it can only get better right?

[ Edited by jonnydellfan on Jan 2, 2011 at 12:01:17 ]
Martz just plain sucks, he was a desperation hire and about the only thing good that came from that hire was it was the nail in the coffin for Nolan. His system gets QB's killed and unless you have a very tough QB, you are wasting time with him. Plus he is an arrogant ass that has never won as a head coach. He is doing a good job in chicago, but I would rather have someone that doesn't get their QB's sacked 50+ times a year just to show he can move the ball between the 20's.
I know where you're coming from -- but come on.

This whole "it only can get better" mentality is why we are where we are. Can we please just squash it? We need a winning mentality!

We need someone that is going to be successful and has had success building a team, a coaching staff, and the ability to groom a QB. Martz may have good experience, but we all know he's a crazy person at HC.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Martz just plain sucks, he was a desperation hire and about the only thing good that came from that hire was it was the nail in the coffin for Nolan. His system gets QB's killed and unless you have a very tough QB, you are wasting time with him. Plus he is an arrogant ass that has never won as a head coach. He is doing a good job in chicago, but I would rather have someone that doesn't get their QB's sacked 50+ times a year just to show he can move the ball between the 20's.

This is true, but i think the point of this post is that Martz >>> Jimmy Raye/Mike Johnson...

He also didn't sell Linehan the OC position. Sing scared em away by saying, "we will run the ball up the gut on most downs, is that ok."
This belongs in NFL talk.
although i agree we should have kept martz, i think this whole thing started with the loss at minnesota. we never recovered from that!

The Bears don't seem to have a problem winning the division with him as their OC.

But yeah, he sucks.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Jan 2, 2011 at 12:23:30 ]

right on point. on the surface, his offense is sexy as hell, but has deficiences. guy is a mad genius. emphasis on the mad.
  • kray28
  • Veteran

Actually Martz' short tenure here featured some of the most explosive offense seen in SF since the 2002-2003 season. It wasn't Martz' fault that all he had to work with was a turnover prone JTO and an arm strength challenged Hill. Even with those obvious handicaps and no true threat at WR, he fielded an offense that put up numbers.

[ Edited by kray28 on Jan 2, 2011 at 12:40:06 ]
I have to say.....I 100% agree. I believe if we would have kept Martz Sing would still have his job. I've said in years past that they would have been perfect for one another. An offensive mastermind and a neanderthal defensive minded coach. I think together they would have worked. I think if we had Martz year 3 or 4 with some good seasoned O-linemen we'd be a pretty viable offense... Just my opinion..

For all those bashing Martz saying he can't win and gets Qb's killed remember his offense did beat us 5 games in a row when he was with St. Louis(when we had Garcia..) he won a super bowl as a coordinator, and damn near won a 2nd had it not been for a last second field goal.

My point was more that Sing's first decision as head coach is what ended up getting him fired. Martz gave us, even through all of our offensive defficiencies(no o-line, no WR's, JTO and Shaun Hill as qb's) the 23rd ranked offense in the league. This was the same group of players that achieved 32nd in all major categories the year before. The year after Martz we were 31st... and then this year... yeah... Had we had a competent offense, not even a great one, we would have won the division and Sing would still be the HC.

thanks for saving me the time
pretty funny to be bashing Martz right now with what he is doing in Chicago with a bunch of chump WR's and TE
i'd take martz over any other schmuck we've had since he left.
Share 49ersWebzone