There are 136 users in the forums

Orton the odd man out?

Shop 49ers game tickets
We'd be lucky to land a veteran QB like Orton. Not sure what the haters are trying to say here, but he's just now hitting his stride and will likely get better in the right system and with the right supporting cast. Match him with Gore/Dixon in the backfield, along with Davis, Crabs, Morgan, Delanie, Ginn, etc., and he could potentially be a pro-bowler.

That said, he's not the most mobile of QBs, so we'll have to make some structural/schematic changes to the o-line in order for a guy like Orton to be successful.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Byisgod:
I just don't get it. The guy is miles ahead of anyone we currently have on the roster, yet you guys don't want him. Makes no sense.

McDaniels system makes QBs look like probowlers. If McDaniels became OC then I'd be in favor of it. Otherwise I can't see Orton more than M. Cassel II.

-9fA

Trade for Orton.

Bring in McDaniels as OC.

Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Byisgod:
I just don't get it. The guy is miles ahead of anyone we currently have on the roster, yet you guys don't want him. Makes no sense.

McDaniels system makes QBs look like probowlers. If McDaniels became OC then I'd be in favor of it. Otherwise I can't see Orton more than M. Cassel II.

-9fA

Trade for Orton.

Bring in McDaniels as OC.

Have the worst running game in football.

Win three games.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
We'd be lucky to land a veteran QB like Orton. Not sure what the haters are trying to say here, but he's just now hitting his stride and will likely get better in the right system and with the right supporting cast. Match him with Gore/Dixon in the backfield, along with Davis, Crabs, Morgan, Delanie, Ginn, etc., and he could potentially be a pro-bowler.

That said, he's not the most mobile of QBs, so we'll have to make some structural/schematic changes to the o-line in order for a guy like Orton to be successful.

This
Much, much, much rather give up a higher draft pick to land a guy like Orton who has gotten better every year of his career, as opposed to webzone favorites like McNabb and Palmer who have gotten worse and worse, and who are getting older.

Count me in liking Orton as a 2-3 year stop-gap while we groom a young QB.
[ Edited by Schulzy on Dec 22, 2010 at 4:53 PM ]
Originally posted by teeohh:
Isn't cassel having a good year?

For the right price I'll take orton you guys that don't want him are crazy. If we don't get a qb in the first I'd be happy with orton as our starter for a year or two. Who can we trade for thats better? Not like there is a s**tload of options and do u expect us to win the division with a rookie?
I would prefer better but Orton is not as bad as people say
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Such as?
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

This

Actually, he is.

Orton holds a 32-31 career record despite playing for three teams with winning records, including a Chicago Bears team that went to the Super Bowl just two seasons prior.

Orton has completed 58.1% of his passes in his career and has more turnovers at 76 (INTs + Fumbles Lost) than he does touchdowns (71).

He's a stone figure in an age when mobility makes a Quarterback.

We could draft a QB and let him compete and if you look at the available free agents out there this off season (if there is one) he is not a bad choice.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Actually, he is.

Orton holds a 32-31 career record despite playing for three teams with winning records, including a Chicago Bears team that went to the Super Bowl just two seasons prior.

Orton has completed 58.1% of his passes in his career and has more turnovers at 76 (INTs + Fumbles Lost) than he does touchdowns (71).

somebody fails at math

71 touchdowns 48 interception
28 fumbles 16 lost

48ints+16 fumbles lost=64 turnovers

71>64

Lets just resign Alex Smith.

Actually, he is.

Way to manipulate the data. Go here and you can see he has steadily improved his passer rating every year in the NFL. This year 2/1 TD/INT ratio and one fumble. Much better than Alex Smith.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=8520

Of course, if he came here he would probably start sucking immediately. . But this club would get a huge boost if he played as well for the 49ers as he has the last couple of years in Denver. He will probably break 4000 yards this year.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by confusedrhino:

Actually, he is.

Way to manipulate the data. Go here and you can see he has steadily improved his passer rating every year in the NFL. This year 2/1 TD/INT ratio and one fumble. Much better than Alex Smith.

Of course, if he came here he would probably start sucking immediately. . But this club would get a huge boost if he played as well for the 49ers as he has the last couple of years in Denver. He will probably break 4000 yards this year.

He has also potentially punched a ticket to Hawaii for Brandon Lloyd. Brandon freakin Lloyd a pro-bowler?
Originally posted by confusedrhino:

Actually, he is.

Yeah his first year really drags all the other numbers down.
Share 49ersWebzone