LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 299 users in the forums

Ban Punting?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by lucy2012p:
spam

[ Edited by pantstickle on Nov 13, 2010 at 15:18:29 ]

Hey Mods, are we at least allowed to talk s**t to spammers?
theres a HS coach somewhere whos famous for his disbelief in punting. hes a math teacher who figured out the statistical odds, and says you have a better chance of winning if you go for every 4th down instead of giving the ball away for better field position. you will make a high enough % of your 4th down tries to outweigh the downside of turning it over on downs.

obviously NFL coaches would never try that. a job in the NFL is gold, and theyll stay as conservative as possible to keep it as long as possible. i just think itd be fun to try. once you know your season is lost, why not start doing that and see if it works?
Originally posted by Niners99:
theres a HS coach somewhere whos famous for his disbelief in punting. hes a math teacher who figured out the statistical odds, and says you have a better chance of winning if you go for every 4th down instead of giving the ball away for better field position. you will make a high enough % of your 4th down tries to outweigh the downside of turning it over on downs.

obviously NFL coaches would never try that. a job in the NFL is gold, and theyll stay as conservative as possible to keep it as long as possible. i just think itd be fun to try. once you know your season is lost, why not start doing that and see if it works?

lol that's awesome! But maybe it's just that his own defense sucks...?
Doesn't seem like Oregon likes to punt very much....

I'm watching the Cal/Oregon game right now. Oregon got the ball first, and didn't get a first with their opening 3 plays so they went for it on 4th and converted. Then they didn't get it again on the next 3 plays, went for it on 4th, and did not convert. Then Cal took over, ran 5 great run plays, and got a TD.

Seems like that's exactly why NFL teams punt.
Originally posted by MILFS:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_wertheim/09/17/no.punt/index.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_wertheim/09/17/no.punt/index.html

Very interesting. In high school it might work but in college or in the NFL that would never work IMO.
How many people read the article on the first page?

Very interesting. In high school it might work but in college or in the NFL that would never work IMO.

whoa coach sing?

If it is the article I think it is it will work in the NFL. The guy is not against punting just against punting when it is a huge risk of o ly gaing 10-20 yds. Also he isn't pshyco and going for it on 4th and 20 or anything.
i love the idea actually. it would put more importance on every down and make it more exciting, more scoring.
Share 49ersWebzone