LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Source: Jon Gruden to be hired by Cleveland in 2011

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

f**k it at this point we might as well take Billick. He atleast has won a superbowl before and he's been a good OC. His offense in BMore sucked pretty badly but he did build a dominant defense there. Maybe see if we can trade for an Orton or a Kolb, draft Patrick Peterson, switch to a 4-3, and try to build a dominant D? IDK I wanted an offensive coach at first but it seems like we have no shot at any of the proven ones, atleast Billick has called a succesful offense before while in MN.

Referring to Brian Billeck

That could be the safe route to go.

Side note with him as MN OC. They where 2nd in total yards in 98... after he left there where 3rd the year after, 5th the next year so it's not like they dropped of majorly those couple years after. They where 12th in 97, 12th in 96, 4th 95, 3rd 94... he went from 92-98

So he was a pretty good OC for Minnesota but then you look at Baltimore as HC. He wasn't calling the plays but still under his direction.

24, 16, 14, 26, 21, 31st, etc....

I know he had more talent in MN but that still is pretty alarming. As good as their defense was look at where those offenses where ranked. It's hard to think any team can win a SB with an offense like that in today's NFL.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 24, 2010 at 23:47:29 ]
Originally posted by PaulW:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by PaulW:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Bruce is a credible journalist

No he isn't.

he wouldn't share that kind of information over the air if it wasn't a foregone conclusion, that's my point.
What makes you think that? The guy is basically a troll, just as bad as Skip Bayless and Tim Kawakami. He is still the only source that mentioned a drinking problem as part of McCloughans departure, if there was any truth to that it would have been reported all over the place not by 1 source that has a knack of saying things just to get attention.

Bruce is indeed a shock jock. He has absolutely no insight to the Cleveland Browns. He may have heard something, but he is in no way a credible source on anything other than b***hing and whining.

And HowTF is he a journalist? He's not a writer.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Don't want Harbaugh. He's not the proven NFL OC/HC that we need.

Exactly. We need someone with a proven track record. We need to stop experimenting" with our staff and our personnel.
If he's not available, I say we throw a lot of money at Jimmy Johnson to lure him back into coaching.
He won't be hired by us. I can tell you that.
Originally posted by niners94:
If he's not available, I say we throw a lot of money at Jimmy Johnson to lure him back into coaching.

Yeah the Yorks will do that.
Originally posted by niners94:

And sign Brett Favre as QB?
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

f**k it at this point we might as well take Billick. He atleast has won a superbowl before and he's been a good OC. His offense in BMore sucked pretty badly but he did build a dominant defense there. Maybe see if we can trade for an Orton or a Kolb, draft Patrick Peterson, switch to a 4-3, and try to build a dominant D? IDK I wanted an offensive coach at first but it seems like we have no shot at any of the proven ones, atleast Billick has called a succesful offense before while in MN.

Referring to Brian Billeck

That could be the safe route to go.

Side note with him as MN OC. They where 2nd in total yards in 98... after he left there where 3rd the year after, 5th the next year so it's not like they dropped of majorly those couple years after. They where 12th in 97, 12th in 96, 4th 95, 3rd 94... he went from 92-98

So he was a pretty good OC for Minnesota but then you look at Baltimore as HC. He wasn't calling the plays but still under his direction.

24, 16, 14, 26, 21, 31st, etc....

I know he had more talent in MN but that still is pretty alarming. As good as their defense was look at where those offenses where ranked. It's hard to think any team can win a SB with an offense like that in today's NFL.

Yeah I dunno. He never had a good QB or some playmakers in BMore though until he got McNair who was past his prime. If he had Vernon and we could get a QB somehow, he might do alright. Plus if he found a good OC. It could turn out well. Maybe we can trade for Orton or Kolb(I doubt Philly lets Vick go). Then get another WR opposite Crab and he'd have some talent. But he could build our defense a lot better. I actually kind of like Billick for us, just because he knows how to build a successful team and we NEED a guy who can do that.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
If true, I'm not upset at all. Gruden created a mess in Tampa Bay after winning the SB with Tony Dungy's team. A lot of players were upset with him, and I really don't want a coach like him. He will become the face of the franchise wherever he goes, and I prefer a player to be the face of this franchise. Enough with these alpha-dog coaches.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Maybe we should just stick with Sing and draft a new Qb. The players seem to play for him and there's just no one available that makes any sense. I say keep Sing and go after Cowher when he decides to come back.

F&%k ME. who's left? maybe someone will leave their team before the season ends..

[ Edited by tondiman on Oct 25, 2010 at 03:06:29 ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I could definitely see us getting Billick, i'm sure Billick has a million connections in the NFL and could get a pretty good staff here. Having a proven coach like Brian Billick would be good for this team. We get ourselves a franchise QB in the draft, maybe throw a bucket load of money at Vincent Jackson. Then I can really see this offense going places.

It's put up or shut up time for Jed. Hopefully he will be having many in depth conversations with Uncle Eddie. When we get humiliated on the International Stage in London on Sunday, I think it will really hit home. Changes need to be made.
Brian Billick won a superbowl with his D which if we get few things corrected will be up his alley. had horrible offense. and i'm for one am sick and tired of this non existing of an offense. with all that said i would take him iff he can somehow get a balanced offensive minded oc here.
Share 49ersWebzone