There are 115 users in the forums

Willis vs Revis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Peter King, I love laughing at all of his preseason predictions come season's end. How does this guy keep his job?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Willis, a good linebacker can seriously disrupt an offense and must be accounted for at all times.
Originally posted by BobS:
Willis, a good linebacker can seriously disrupt an offense and must be accounted for at all times.

Proof when he slammed Favre into the ground, and later came flying out of nowhere to stop AP for a 4 yard gain on a catch instead of AP getting more.

This thread
Is it too much to ask for both?
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
I'm sure you guys remember Deion Sanders when he played for the Niners in '94. He pretty much allowed the defense to play 3/4 of the field.

Another example is Ray Lewis. When he didn't have Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams in front of him, he struggled. His position is dependent on the big ugglies in front of him.

Sorry to be a non-homer, but a shutdown cornerback is more important than a great ILB in the defensive scheme. That is also reflective on the amount of money that the best in each position makes.

Patrick Willis, ILB, 2010: $5,185,000
Ray Lewis, ILB, 2009: $10,000,000

Champ Bailey, CB, 2010: $13,000,000
Nnamdi Asamougha, CB, 2010: $15,000,000 (3 year average)

CB>ILB

Correct Darth.

Anyone saying King is an idiot for taking Revis over Willis is clearly wearing his blinders. The only position on defense you take over a shut down corner is an elite pass rusher.

I'd take Revis everyday all day and twice on Sunday's as well.

Some positions are clearly more important than others and maybe Willis might be better at what he does in comparison to what Revis does. But that you shouldnt pick Willis purely on that distinction.
[ Edited by 49erDan on Aug 31, 2010 at 1:27 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by saniner:
Well who would you rather have on this team? Would we be better off with Revis or Willis?

I'd take Willis because he plays the entire field. He makes plays at every level.

We payed a corner 90 million dollars and he's not 1/10th as good as Revis is. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

The Jets had the number one ranking on defense by 30 yards, and finished 1st in points as well. Cleary they weren't struggling because they built around a corner.

I'm not saying I'd take Revis over Willis I'm just of the opinion that you can build an elite defense around any position. CB, S, DT, DE, LB. It's not like on offense were you need that QB. Teams have successfully built around every single one of those positions.

While it may be intrinsic that teams build around there strongest/most influential player it does not mean that it was the best option, just the most viable at the time. I believe the Jets have developed the very best way of shaping a defense in this pass happy league.

Draft/ sign the best defensive backs available and create a pass defense so formidable that offenses have no choice but to throw short or risk being picked or "coverage sacked". Thats how I want the Niners to be.
Originally posted by nicedraw94080:

This thread

the locks should be banned. it's getting ridiculous. Let the thread be. quit acting like your the thread police.
I'm sure you guys remember Deion Sanders when he played for the Niners in '94. He pretty much allowed the defense to play 3/4 of the field.

Another example is Ray Lewis. When he didn't have Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams in front of him, he struggled. His position is dependent on the big ugglies in front of him.

Sorry to be a non-homer, but a shutdown cornerback is more important than a great ILB in the defensive scheme. That is also reflective on the amount of money that the best in each position makes.

CB>ILB

Correct Darth.

Anyone saying King is an idiot for taking Revis over Willis is clearly wearing his blinders. The only position on defense you take over a shut down corner is an elite pass rusher.

Julius Peppers, DE, 2010: $16,683,000
So clearly a pass rusher is the most important, followed by an underachieving quarterback (Palmer), and a doofus living off his family name (E. Manning).

Salaries, again, show rarity of talent. Not importance. Diamonds are expensive because they're sparkly and "rare", not because they're extremely useful.
I'd take Willis over Revis. Cb are game changers but so is willis. Also, willis is a team leader and would never hold out..and he can stop the run game and basically anything going up the middle which helps a defense alot..and he scares people lol.

Without Willis our D would be less than average
He is the soul and heart of our defense, our D without Willis is like the Colts without Manning.

Plus Willis' attitude >>>>>> Revis'
Originally posted by pantstickle:

CB>ILB

Correct Darth.

Julius Peppers, DE, 2010: $16,683,000
So clearly a pass rusher is the most important, followed by an underachieving quarterback (Palmer), and a doofus living off his family name (E. Manning).

Salaries, again, show rarity of talent. Not importance. Diamonds are expensive because they're sparkly and "rare", not because they're extremely useful.

This guy is right

but..Eli Mannings not bad, he just had a kinda bad team last year, their D let them down in so many games

Anyways, I agree that CB is more important than LB, but watching Patrick Willis and the 49ers defense, I cant imagine our D being good without P Willy
Patrick Willis > Revis on any given Sunday boys and girls.
This is a dumb argument, it should be Willis vs. Norris (Chuck)
Share 49ersWebzone