There are 180 users in the forums

NFC West News

Shop 49ers game tickets
We've enjoyed some good old-fashioned trash talk between the San Francisco 49ers and Arizona Cardinals this offseason.

This is one rivalry felt beyond the stands. Players feel it, too.

Vernon Davis and Darnell Dockett went at it earlier this offseason. On Friday, KTAR radio in Phoenix asked Cardinals running back Beanie Wells whether the team could ignore predictions suggesting Arizona would fall off. Co-host Doug Franz said he couldn't understand why anyone would anoint the 49ers as favorites.

"I think we can ignore them to a certain extent," Wells said of the predictions, "but to be quite honest, I hate the 49ers."

KTAR has the audio and an accompanying story (the interview also featured Wells' thoughts on the offense this season, his own role and more).

It's refreshing to see players caring about rivalries as much as so many fans do.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/21697/beanie-wells-i-hate-the-49ers
Seahawks: Given permission to talk with Jackson

The Seahawks have been granted written permission by the San Diego Chargers to discuss contract terms with holdout Vincent Jackson(notes), Seattle general manager John Schneider said through a team spokesman Friday. Chargers GM A.J. Smith declined to comment on the situation, but the Seahawks said they have talked to Jackson’s agents about the contract compensation that could pave the way for a trade for the wide receiver.

While no significant progress has occurred to this point, two sources close to the situation said San Diego is committed to trading Jackson, who is believed to be seeking a long-term contract worth more than $9 million per season, because the team expects that he will not report at all this season

More here
Chargers shouldn't take anything less than a first. I think seattle picks in the top half which is where they will have a chance at a good qb...seems like its going to happen if they really want to trade him and no one else is biting. Interesting
A couple thoughts per NFC West team heading into the second week of the 2010 NFL exhibition season:

Seattle Seahawks vs. Green Bay Packers (Saturday, 7 p.m. ET)

Seattle wants to see a sharper, more engaged effort from quarterback Matt Hasselbeck after backup Charlie Whitehurst earned the headlines a week ago. Hasselbeck has enjoyed a strong training camp. A crisp effort during the preseason could provide some affirmation as the Seahawks deploy a new offensive system. Hasselbeck does have something to prove after a rough 2009 season, so writing off the preseason as meaningless for him might be going a little far. Beyond improved play from Hasselbeck, it's a bonus if Leon Washington looks good during his first game of any kind since suffering a broken leg with the New York Jets last season. The Packers have enjoyed beating up on the NFC West during the preseason, though, and sometimes Green Bay appeared to be game-planning. The Packers hammered the Seahawks, 48-13, in a 2007 game that ticked off the Seahawks' coach at the time, Mike Holmgren. Green Bay led the Arizona Cardinals 38-10 at halftime during an exhibition game last year. Again, game-planning was suspected.

St. Louis Rams at Cleveland Browns (Saturday, 7:30 p.m. ET)

Rookie quarterback Sam Bradford will draw most of the attention and the Rams need to protect him -- and all their quarterbacks -- better than they did against Minnesota in the exhibition opener. That is the top priority for St. Louis against Cleveland. The Rams need to see progress from right tackle Jason Smith now that the 2009 first-round choice has had a full week of practice following a toe injury. More broadly, the Rams want to see their projected starting offensive line together in a game for the first time since Week 2 last season. Rodger Saffold, Jacob Bell, Jason Brown, Adam Goldberg and Jason Smith worked together during recent practices. Can they hold up physically? Can they show improvement? Can they protect Bradford?

San Francisco 49ers vs. Minnesota Vikings (NBC, Sunday, 8 p.m. ET)

Brett Favre is expected to start and play one or two series for the Vikings. At least the 49ers won't have to worry about him throwing a game-winning touchdown in the final seconds, as he did against them last season. Favre will be out of the game by then and the outcome doesn't matter, anyway. The 49ers' focus will instead be on their own quarterback, Alex Smith, who will try to make a generally strong week of practices carry over into a game. It's early to panic if Smith and the first-team offense struggle again, but an efficient performance would give both a boost. On defense, let's see how linebacker Diyral Briggs fares against a team with more quality depth than Week 1 preseason opponent Indianapolis. Briggs dominated against the Colts.

Arizona Cardinals at Tennessee Titans (ESPN, Monday, 8 p.m. ET)

The national spotlight gives quarterback Matt Leinart a chance to start changing perceptions after a rough week. Yes, he completed 6 of 7 passes against Houston in the Cardinals' exhibition opener, but the aftermath brought questions about why he missed a postgame news conference and whether his completed pass to Larry Fitzgerald unnecessarily exposed the receiver to injury. These are the sorts of sideshows that have marked Leinart's tenure in Arizona, whether or not they were his fault. Basically, Leinart can't get a break. This would be a good time for him to start making his own. One problem: Fitzgerald will not play and other Cardinals receivers are banged up.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/21693/four-downs-nfc-west-preseason-week-2
Seahawks LT Russel Okung injured left ankle. Dunno what it is yet.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/21728/tackle-depth-shaky-with-russell-okungs-injury
I can't believe it! I watched half a Shehawks game to see if Balmer got in with the first 2 teams. Guess what, he didn't.... FU Balmer, Method luvs u.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
I can't believe it! I watched half a Shehawks game to see if Balmer got in with the first 2 teams. Guess what, he didn't.... FU Balmer, Method luvs u.

How did Okung look? How about their new saftey?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

okung got injured rolled his ankle but last week he looked very solid earl thomas looked all right he got a couple of tackles but their D looked pretty bad
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

okung got injured rolled his ankle but last week he looked very solid earl thomas looked all right he got a couple of tackles but their D looked pretty bad

thomas also got burnt by jennings for a long completion on gb's 1st offensive possession
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

thomas also got burnt by jennings for a long completion on gb's 1st offensive possession

Thanks fellas

I wanna crush Carrol and see him cry
Link http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5482655

Just thought id spread the word
Wow that's a huge loss. It is pending the MRI, but high ankle sprains are something that you never want to hear.

-9fA
If it's a high ankle sprain, he won't be ready in time to play us...not gonna lie, that's all I care about .
Originally posted by Leathaface:
If it's a high ankle sprain, he won't be ready in time to play us...not gonna lie, that's all I care about .

major props to you for having the guts to admit that lol
Share 49ersWebzone