There are 101 users in the forums

Randy Moss Vs Jerry Rice-Let's be real.

Shop 49ers game tickets
dj, yoru still talkig bout, oh, u hear that story lott said about how rice was about dropping balls. i mean, dude,that is your niner glory talking, wtf does that mean bro? lott is my hero too, i also played safety. but dude, every player on my varsity team i coach almost cries when they drop it. a lot of receivers are obsessed man, i was.

i don'tknow what, being the hardest worker, caught bricks with his bare hands as a kid type comments proves. on the field skills, it can be debated, Moss is better.
on the field, is where Moss takes plays off.
dj knows his stuff though, your right on mostly
but again, you talk about the giving up on plays, did you play receiver? I did. I led the entire conference i played for here in california in yards, receptions, td's & avg. & played some in college, but was converted to safety cause i put on too much muscle as i got a lil' older.
I wouldn't always run every single route the hardest. You know Moss baits people & uses his mind on them all day. WR is such a mental battle.

i mean, watched all of moss's games in oakland, it wasn't as bad as the media painted it. it really wasn't. not going to get into that. but as a player playing WR, you run, sprints every play.Looking back 40+ yards while downfield and seeing sack after sack after bad pass. Did you watch them the second season? Andrew Walter, a nobody rookie was qb. wr, your on an island, after a while, that's kinda what it looks like. ya, he admited "taking plays off", but with THOSE STATS, c'mon man, be real, that isn't the media a lil' bit? how can his stats be like that doggin' it, they are comparable to rice's
sinsation is another cliche...no facts or fooball knowledge. sinsation, you forget, he hit a traffic cop, thats why he isn't better than rice
Originally posted by 49ertrue1:
dj knows his stuff though, your right on mostly

Thanks. And just to point out, I'm a different guy from dj43, in case you thought I was the same guy.

Anyway, I completely agree that there are many players obsessed with being great and doing what it takes to get better. But, then there's a difference from doing it in high school and college as compared to the pros.

(Not saying everyone is like this, but..) looking at Jamarcus Russell, once he got to the pros, it seemed as if he didn't really care to better himself. I wouldn't doubt if someone told me he worked his @$$ off in high school and college, but you can see that once he got his paycheck, his work ethic dropped drastically.

Going back to Moss and Rice. The reason why I pointed it out is that he always cared year in, year out that he got better and worked hard to be the best. Moss undoubtedly does have above average natural talent, and I believe he might work on trying to better himself, but I also believe he relies more on his natural talent to get by. Rice honed his skills and was a threat every game on every play.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
yes, moss in his prime was the most feared player ever! period! rice wasn't as feared as Moss, it's a fact.

Wow. You serious with this crap? It's a fact? You sat in meetings of other teams when they played Rice and Moss?
see, that's where i gotta correct you.Moss is still improving, he improves every year. REmember bellichick saying he could be even better during his 23 td season.

Just a side note, Moss in his 30's for the Pats in 3 seasons got 47 td's, including one season w/o brady, & one w/ brady coming off injury. pretty damn impressive for early 30's. Remember, Moss at this point in his career, is even 2 years younger than Rice was. which is also an advantage. I like to say, not only an advantage, but ALSO shows how bad a s s Moss is, at a ripe age of 21 he set the rookie TD record. The guy is just amazing man.

Rice had to develop a lil', not like there's anything wrong with that, but Moss is well, a Super Freak.
your the first reasonable fellow 9er fan i've met yet, on this issue.
everyone knows moss is the most feared player on offense...they design entire defenses to stop him, since the first day he stepped in NFL. The threat of a TD, on one pass, yes, Moss created the most fear ever to the defensive backfield.

I'm sure there is tape of Rice not running his hardest on the other side of the play. But the media just isn't the same today, everything isn't scrutinized.
Hey, guys, I still say Rice is the greatest ever, but it doesn't mean Moss can't be debated on being a better WR. No doubt, Rice will prolly go down with the best career, but we're not debating career's. We're debating on who is just better. Plain & simple. I know, i'm guilty too at times, going past that debate.
Hey, guys, I still say Rice is the greatest ever, but it doesn't mean Moss can't be debated on being a better WR. No doubt, Rice will prolly go down with the best career, but we're not debating career's. We're debating on who is just better. Plain & simple. I know, i'm guilty too at times, going past that debate.

It's hard to compare two players by not using their careers as a measure. Beyond that point then you are going off on opinion, which we all have. I do agree that it can be debated once Moss ends his career and you see how the two compare to each other.

But, in the end, just like you pointed out, we will all have our own opinions. And, in a Niners' forum, Rice will ultimately prevail about 99.99% of the time.
well, yea of course. But it's just amazing to me how 9er fans are so closed minded when it comes to Moss. Once in a while, you'll get one here & there that says, Rice wishes he had Moss's skill. But that is that .01 your talking about
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
yes, moss in his prime was the most feared player ever! period! rice wasn't as feared as Moss, it's a fact.

How can you prove that Moss was the most feared in his prime and Rice wasn't as feared???

IMO, on how I would set as more feared:

Rice went to the Pro Bowl 11 straight years, was 1st team All-Pro 10 of those times. Moss you can't say the same. Of course this is just my opinion, but players and coaches do have a big say in who's goes to the Pro Bowl and who doesn't.
Share 49ersWebzone