LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

Dolphins put G Justin Smiley on trading block

Shop 49ers game tickets
Stoney's post on the first page makes me happy
Hmmmm...I wonder if he will play on the left side or the right withthe Jags. Vince Manuwai plays on the left side and I don't see him going to the bench for Smiley but Manuwai might move to RG which would give them a strong side to run the ball. I heard some talk about Jags moving Manuwai to center but I don't know if he can play center. I don't even remember him playing center at Hawaii, where he went to school.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Just a thought here.

Could it be (now that we see things in retrospect) that McCloughan declined to compete financially for Smiley, because McCloughan knew that Smiley was damaged goods, and that McCloughan had learned from the Jonas Jennings experiment, that he didn't want to go there again, that is, investing big FA $ in a fragile player?

Parcels who certainly knows O-linemen really wanted Smiley. At the time, it seemed that McCloughan's famous quote, you can get guards", explained his lack of interest in re-signing Smiley. Maybe that was selling McCloughan's judgement a little short.

Smiley had played hurt with the Niners (16 games with a torn shoulder labrum), which was the same injury that Jennings could NOT play through. Maybe all that toughness by Smiley took its toll, and that the club's doctors made that fact known to McCloughan. Maybe the Niners medical staff at Stanford was sharper that the Dolphins medical staff in examing Smiley.

Just sayin.........

No...he wasn't re-signed because he didn't fit the blocking sheme we were trying to run. I don't understand how that is so hard for people to comprehend? We wanted a physical mauling type offensive line. That was not and is not Smiley's strength. Put him in a zone blocking scheme or let him run pulls - you have a good guard. You ask him to get physical and muscle a defense - he can't do it. Thus, bye bye! pretty simple really.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Hmmmm...I wonder if he will play on the left side or the right withthe Jags. Vince Manuwai plays on the left side and I don't see him going to the bench for Smiley but Manuwai might move to RG which would give them a strong side to run the ball. I heard some talk about Jags moving Manuwai to center but I don't know if he can play center. I don't even remember him playing center at Hawaii, where he went to school.

Smiley played RG for us so he will probably play that for them as well
Share 49ersWebzone