Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by Aussie49er:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
How the hell can someone seriously argue that all NFL players are automatically disqualified as elite athletes?

Because someone obviously doesn't appreciate how rare it is for a 275 pound man to run 40 yards in under 4.8 seconds, yet still have the strength to squat over 500 pounds, and the explosiveness to achieve a vertical jump in excess of 20".

Football FTW.

Even if this "beast" plays 5mins of a game. Yes that is truly amazing. You aren't a great athlete if you are not on the field.

Christ on a godd@mn cracker!

If you want to say NFL players aren't elite, that's on you. Its a short sighted, unsupportable, completely subjective argument, and it shows how little you know about the game.

Football and rugby are completely different sports, so likening the two is pointless.

The fact is, many football players are multi sport athletes...most WRs, RBs and DBs have a track background. Many linemen have been competitive field or lifting athletes (in fact...one former standouts on the line of the 49ers was a silver medalist in the 1984 summer games...bonus points if you can figure out who he was and what event he competed in). It isn't unusual for football players to have played basketball at the collegiate level.

If your next assertion is that sprinters, basketball players, power lifters and field athletes aren't elite athletes, then you'll have proven what I already suspect: that you are playing the role of "homer" in this thread, and haven't the faintest notion about the dedication required to excel at any sport other than rugby.

NFL players aren't run of the mill...they are not average. These are world class athletes that combine strength, speed, and explosiveness in a way that is unique to football. That does not make them any less "special" than your typical rugby player.

I anxiously await the "they only play 5 minutes" response that ignores everything else.

Yup.

I would then ask if he wants to say that wrestlers aren't elite because they only wrestle for three 2-minute periods per match....only 6 minutes.

If that's the case...he'd have been a fun one to bring into practice back in the day

wrestling is gay

We'll see how gay you think it is when I have you on your back and you're still trying to figure out how the hell I lifted you off the ground with such minimal effort. Freestyle fireman's carry to the head and arm ftw.

By the way...I've kickboxed, practiced a few styles of martial arts, and mixed it up with straight street brawlers...and in my 38 years, this is what I learned: almost every fight will go to the ground, and when it does, the better wrestler/grappler will always win.

Just sayin'.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
so "actual playing time" is defined as running a play? like.. what 3 seconds a play? about 100 plays a game? fair enough.

either way, the game is clocked at 60 minutes. that's how long they're acutally playing. and for me, the action is from the end of a commercial break to the start of the next one.

give me a break Wall Street Journal...

No they are right. That is why it is called a play clock, it means you have 40 seconds to begin to the next play.

I love the game of football, but the NFL presentation of the game is pretty bad, and it has been getting progressively worst each decade.

LOL, at you referring to people standing around as "action"

I actually never said that people standing around was action. I was merely saying that when I watch football -- my personal opinion --, the action is when they're on the field as in I am interested, engaged, and waiting for the playcall, the set-up for the play, and then the execution of it. When I watch a football game it's action to me. I don't see them standing around like they do in a commercial break (which I said didn't count in what I felt was action). So please don't put words in my mouth when you don't understand what I'm saying, thanks.
How the hell can someone seriously argue that all NFL players are automatically disqualified as elite athletes?

Because someone obviously doesn't appreciate how rare it is for a 275 pound man to run 40 yards in under 4.8 seconds, yet still have the strength to squat over 500 pounds, and the explosiveness to achieve a vertical jump in excess of 20".

Football FTW.

Even if this "beast" plays 5mins of a game. Yes that is truly amazing. You aren't a great athlete if you are not on the field.

If you want to say NFL players aren't elite, that's on you. Its a short sighted, unsupportable, completely subjective argument, and it shows how little you know about the game.

Football and rugby are completely different sports, so likening the two is pointless.

The fact is, many football players are multi sport athletes...most WRs, RBs and DBs have a track background. Many linemen have been competitive field or lifting athletes (in fact...one former standouts on the line of the 49ers was a silver medalist in the 1984 summer games...bonus points if you can figure out who he was and what event he competed in). It isn't unusual for football players to have played basketball at the collegiate level.

If your next assertion is that sprinters, basketball players, power lifters and field athletes aren't elite athletes, then you'll have proven what I already suspect: that you are playing the role of "homer" in this thread, and haven't the faintest notion about the dedication required to excel at any sport other than rugby.

NFL players aren't run of the mill...they are not average. These are world class athletes that combine strength, speed, and explosiveness in a way that is unique to football. That does not make them any less "special" than your typical rugby player.

I anxiously await the "they only play 5 minutes" response that ignores everything else.

Yup.

I would then ask if he wants to say that wrestlers aren't elite because they only wrestle for three 2-minute periods per match....only 6 minutes.

If that's the case...he'd have been a fun one to bring into practice back in the day

wrestling is gay

We'll see how gay you think it is when I have you on your back and you're still trying to figure out how the hell I lifted you off the ground with such minimal effort. Freestyle fireman's carry to the head and arm ftw.

By the way...I've kickboxed, practiced a few styles of martial arts, and mixed it up with straight street brawlers...and in my 38 years, this is what I learned: almost every fight will go to the ground, and when it does, the better wrestler/grappler will always win.

Just sayin'.

that sounds gay
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Football FTW.

Yup.

wrestling is gay

Just sayin'.

Totally, Bret Hart and all those guys are f**kin awesome!

Football FTW.

Yup.

wrestling is gay

Just sayin'.

Clearly professional wrestlers are superior to these "wrestlers" because the WWE matches can go on for like 15 minutes.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Football FTW.

Yup.

wrestling is gay

Just sayin'.

Clearly professional wrestlers are superior to these "wrestlers" because the WWE matches can go on for like 15 minutes.

Totally agree.

Football FTW.

Yup.

wrestling is gay

Just sayin'.

that sounds gay

I can has LOLZ?

Football FTW.

Yup.

wrestling is gay

Just sayin'.

This statement does more to capture the spirit of this thread than any response to date. This is a friggin'
why is anyone bothering to argue about this? both sports are tough and require a lot of athleticism/endurance. infact every sport does!

the difference is football isn't boring as f**k. now that is personal opinion of course, but that is the reason i don't watch soccer, rugby, baseball, basketball, hockey, or any of the other hundreds of sports on this planet but i love football: the other sports just bore the s**t out of me.

close the case b***hes!
Share 49ersWebzone