There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

POLL: The Rooney Rule...

POLL: The Rooney Rule...

Mortensen on ESPN indicated Leslie Frazier rejected the interview with the Seahawks saying that it would only fulfill the Rooney Rule requirement and that there would be no genuine interest.

Frazier should be commended for his stance. So this brings back to the rule itself.
What needs to be done about it?

From Wikipedia:

Since the Rooney Rule was established, several NFL franchises have hired minority head coaches, including the Steelers themselves, who hired Mike Tomlin before their 2007 season. (The Steelers, however, had already interviewed Ron Rivera to fulfill the Rule before interviewing Tomlin, and Rooney himself contends that Tomlin's hiring did not result from the Rule.) At the start of the 2006 season, the overall percentage of African American coaches had jumped to 22%, up from 6% prior to the Rooney Rule.At this time, no team has stated whether the Rooney Rule contributed to the hiring of a minority.
I don't get why they made this rule in the first place. I think they should just get rid of it.
It's time to remove the rule.

We are in a different era now then before. Black coaches are often now solely being interviewed for the purpose of satisfying the Rooney Rule. We've now gotten past a certain point of racial discrimination in the NFL where this rule is no longer required.

-9fA
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
I don't get why they made this rule in the first place. I think they should just get rid of it.

wasn't a legendary coach by the name of Bill Walsh the first person to push for minorities to be considered and hired as NFL coach. from that came the Rooney Rule. all those on here hating the rule should consider the source of the rule being established.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Singletary was used many times to fulfill the rule, but he eventually got a HC gig.

Teams just need to handle their PR better to avoid what happened to the Redskins. Just don't get all serious on a candidate until you have a few initial interviews, and then go from there.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:

wasn't a legendary coach by the name of Bill Walsh the first person to push for minorities to be considered and hired as NFL coach. from that came the Rooney Rule. all those on here hating the rule should consider the source of the rule being established.

You're right, I should suspend my own independent thought whenever Bill Walsh's name comes up.
Removing the rule would be awkward for the league, but I don't think there's any getting around the fact that it is not serving its intended purpose. Most owners already have a short list of candidates and the Rooney rule is a mere box to be checked during the process of "getting their guy."

This results in a bassackwards situation where the implementation of the rule runs afoul of its spirit and intent and results in a situation where you have a fellow sitting in an interview room fully aware of the fact that he's conducting a pointless interview based soley upon his race.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I don't think the rule should have been made in the 1st place. However, I don't see an easy way to get rid of it without backlash.

With that said, all these African American coaches need to try and push to remove the rule if they feel they are just being interviewed as a "charity case". If they do not remove the rule they just need to suck it up and conduct the interview or decline it with class instead of stating their disbelief of pure genuineness.

[ Edited by krizay on Jan 8, 2010 at 14:52:55 ]
personally this rule has so many loop holes like the laws of the land. look what happened in Seattle today and what a fast one they tried to pull on the minority candidates.

Quote:
Mort said that Frazier has already rejected the interview saying that it would only fulfill the rooney rule requirement and that there would be no genuine interest. Seattle wants Carroll, and it's not a matter of if but when he gets there.

Source: Seahawks interviewed Carroll earlier this week

so why bother trying to bring in a minority candidate when you've got a back door deal in place. just so the league will not fine you for not obeying the Rooney Rule. People please.

"I have more respect for a man who lets me know where he stands, even if he's wrong. Than the one who comes up like an angel and is nothing but a devil". MX

[ Edited by Negrodamus on Jan 8, 2010 at 15:01:23 ]
But this is why Leslie Frazier has declined the interview. He was going to be used as a puppet. The Rooney rule is an insult to all minorities.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
But this is why Leslie Frazier has declined the interview. He was going to be used as a puppet. The Rooney rule is an insult to all minorities.

agreed a million folds. but when the rule was original put in place it was to have NFL teams to give MINORITIES fair shot a coaching in the league. but as the years have gone by teams are simply using the rule as a means to keep from being scrutinized and fined by the league. it's a means to fullfil the quota if you will.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It's time to remove the rule.

We are in a different era now then before. Black coaches are often now solely being interviewed for the purpose of satisfying the Rooney Rule. We've now gotten past a certain point of racial discrimination in the NFL where this rule is no longer required.

-9fA

I agree 100%. The Rooney rule served its purpose and is no longer needed.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
personally this rule has so many loop holes like the laws of the land. look what happened in Seattle today and what a fast one they tried to pull on the minority candidates.

Quote:
Mort said that Frazier has already rejected the interview saying that it would only fulfill the rooney rule requirement and that there would be no genuine interest. Seattle wants Carroll, and it's not a matter of if but when he gets there.

Source: Seahawks interviewed Carroll earlier this week

so why bother trying to bring in a minority candidate when you've got a back door deal in place. just so the league will not fine you for not obeying the Rooney Rule. People please.

"I have more respect for a man who lets me know where he stands, even if he's wrong. Than the one who comes up like an angel and is nothing but a devil". MX

Report: Carroll close to five-year, $35m deal
rooney rule is dumb.

so what if you interview 3 black people, do you have to interview a white dude?
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
rooney rule is dumb.

so what if you interview 3 black people, do you have to interview a white dude?

i never thought about that.