LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Rams' Jackson Calls Out Seahawks' Curry

Shop 49ers game tickets
Quote:
Rams running back Steven Jackson is an elite player, a team leader and someone who commands respect throughout the NFL.

It's significant when someone of his stature calls out another player.

Jackson, speaking during his weekly show on 101 ESPN St. Louis, had harsh words for Seahawks rookie linebacker Aaron Curry. The two clashed during the regular-season opener at Seattle. The NFL fined Curry for going after Rams rookie Jason Smith's knee, the first of several fines against Curry early in the season. Jackson and Curry clashed again Sunday.

"Some guys don’t know how to be pros and I feel he has not learned that yet," Jackson told 101 ESPN St. Louis. "Someone is over there not teaching him what it means to be a pro. It’s all right to jaw jack but unnecessary hits and taking shots at guys that are defenseless, or going after guys because they are high-profile guys and he is trying to make a name for himself, it’s not professional."

Jackson said he made it clear to Curry that he would not back down.

"You don’t get your name based on that because you’re going after another high-profile guy," Jackson said. "You get your name and your status because of your work and your play in it. I’m just sitting there jaw-jacking a guy and letting him know that I’m not backing down. It’s obvious I’m injured, it’s obvious that I haven’t practiced all week and if we want to go head-to-head for 60 or 70 plays in a row, I’m willing to do so. I’m not going to back down. I’m going to let him know there’s a whole another monster, a whole another level in the NFL and this is not Wake Forest or the ACC."

The Seahawks selected Curry from Wake Forest with the fourth overall choice. Jackson shot down the idea that Curry was trying to play a certain way to fulfill his high draft status.

"I don’t see our rookie, No. 2 pick overall, going out and doing that," Jackson said of Smith. "It's easier to make a name in other ways than going out there jaw-jacking and trying to draw attention to yourself. It’s a professional game and this is a livelihood and I don’t intentionally go out there and trying to -- I’m a pro about it. I would hope that he learns that."

We'll probably hear Curry's side of the story when players become available for interviews Wednesday.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/10071/rams-jackson-calls-out-seahawks-curry

What do you guys make of this? Curry hasn't turned out to be the next Willis like several analysts seemed to think. And Stephen Jackson is a bamf, sadly he plays for the Rams...
Curry is definitely something of a dirty player, iirc he drew quite a few personal foul penalties in the first few weeks for late hits and what not. Can't really doubt Jackson on this, seeing as how he's a respected vet around the league.
[ Edited by znk916 on Dec 1, 2009 at 2:22 AM ]
Jackson's a monster and a great player. I respect his opinion and if Curry is doing that, shame on him.
what happened to curry this season ? some zoners liked him over willis coming out of the draft
i respect jackson, he is a class act, i would take his word for it if curry is a dirty player.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
In the gist, I think Jackson is right on this. I think Curry bought into the hype about himself, came out of the gate thinking he was going to be the next great bad ass, got into with Jackson, made some cheap shots thinking his play would back that up. Now that some time has gone by it has become apparent he is not what his hype said he would be at this point, that he hasn't been able to back up that hype with his play, and Jackson is rubbing his face in it. In other words, Jackson is saying: Welcome to the NFL rookie, your not s**t....and he's able to back that up whereas Curry is not.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
what happened to curry this season ? some zoners liked him over willis coming out of the draft

Go into the pregame thread for this week in NT, I posted a report from rotoworld on him.
I'm starting to like Steven Jackson more
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I'm starting to like Steven Jackson more

yeah he's cool
Originally posted by jreff22:

Go into the pregame thread for this week in NT, I posted a report from rotoworld on him.

this?

Rookie SLB Aaron Curry has been removed from the Seahawks' nickel package.
Now only a mere early-down linebacker, Curry is barely averaging five tackles a game. The No. 4 overall pick hasn't been nearly as effective as No. 15 overall pick Brian Cushing for the Texans. Seahawks GM Tim Ruskell should be kicking himself for drafting Curry over Eugene Monroe in April.
Source: Seattle T

Originally posted by teeohh:

this?

Now only a mere early-down linebacker, Curry is barely averaging five tackles a game. The No. 4 overall pick hasn't been nearly as effective as No. 15 overall pick Brian Cushing for the Texans. Seahawks GM Tim Ruskell should be kicking himself for drafting Curry over Eugene Monroe in April.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Not everyone can have an immediate impact like Patrick Willis did in his rookie season.

At the same time, f**k that a*****e.
I didn't realize Curry was a dirty player. I will watch him more closely this Sunday.

If he's trying to make a name for himself by running his mouth and taking cheap shots, than f*ck him. Makes me appreciate Willis even more, honestly.
Originally posted by teeohh:

this?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He better not take any cheap shots on our players.

Share 49ersWebzone