There are 168 users in the forums

The UK "May host 4 games by 2012"

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Have all the pre-season games you want overseas, but fking teams, fans & season ticket holders by hosting games outside of either teams stadium like this pisses me off to no end.

You want to promote the game? Just televise them, GODell, you fking AHOLE.

Exactly, they're pimping all these games over here yet;
1 - They've taken away 2 games from us on a Sunday (we used to have an interactive "Red Button" service, where if you didn't like the main game, you could cut to another live game they were showing. this would have been real handy in the last 2-3 weeks when we've had to put up with blowouts live.

2 - They've not paid up for MNF rights, so the genuine fans are having to pay out for game pass or find illegal streams

3 - Removed Total Access from our screens due to our stupid advertising laws and with you having every segment sponsored by Verizon, Pepsi etc

I'd take all 3 of those back over even having ONE game here in England.

If they're serious about the coverage here, then sort that out first.
retarded, the brits dont care about any other sport than soccer and it wont change. why force our players to fly all the way to england and try to force them to like real football? i for 1 do not want the 9ers flying all the way to freaking england to play a gm.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
retarded, the brits dont care about any other sport than soccer and it wont change. why force our players to fly all the way to england and try to force them to like real football? i for 1 do not want the 9ers flying all the way to freaking england to play a gm.

Yet another completely ignorant post. Read the thread.
Don't they already have NFL Europe? Greedy b*****ds
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Have all the pre-season games you want overseas, but fking teams, fans & season ticket holders by hosting games outside of either teams stadium like this pisses me off to no end.

You want to promote the game? Just televise them, GODell, you fking AHOLE.

Exactly, they're pimping all these games over here yet;
1 - They've taken away 2 games from us on a Sunday (we used to have an interactive "Red Button" service, where if you didn't like the main game, you could cut to another live game they were showing. this would have been real handy in the last 2-3 weeks when we've had to put up with blowouts live.

2 - They've not paid up for MNF rights, so the genuine fans are having to pay out for game pass or find illegal streams

3 - Removed Total Access from our screens due to our stupid advertising laws and with you having every segment sponsored by Verizon, Pepsi etc

I'd take all 3 of those back over even having ONE game here in England.

If they're serious about the coverage here, then sort that out first.

this sounds so much more reasonable, really fixing the broadcasting system for NFL games in the UK, rather than sending two or more teams to play in a competitively skewed game overseas. The whole landscape of the league would change tremendously with one team overseas. No soccer fans over here are clamoring for a Premier League team in New York. Sometimes sports fans likes foreign leagues simply because they are foreign, its like a different cultural experience.
Originally posted by Chief:
What bugs me the most is this...

Kraft said placing an NFL team in London "would be the right thing to do some time in the next decade."

Goodell said he would prefer a potential London-based team was a completely new franchise, rather than moving one from an existing market.

Can you say home field advantage?

Imagine if it was the playoffs 2014 and the 49ers had to fly to London to play the London Dips**ts at home?

Why all the hate? Hardly anybody here wants a franchise, the real fans want it to stay at home in america and we'll come to you to watch it properly. It's not a "London Dipsh*ts thing. It's Roger "Show me the Money" Goodell.

Stop having a go at the genuine fans here in the UK. What did we ever do wrong?

How many states in the US don't have a team? Crikey, I'd give a franchise back to LA before here. In fact I could probably reel off 20 places in the US to start up a new franchise, even Canada like in the Hockey. There's no way we should have one.

I think you're being too sensitive about this. I don't think of the "hate" is directed at fans in Europe, but at Goodell for thinking this is a good idea. Lighten up.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by Chief:
What bugs me the most is this...

Kraft said placing an NFL team in London "would be the right thing to do some time in the next decade."

Goodell said he would prefer a potential London-based team was a completely new franchise, rather than moving one from an existing market.

Can you say home field advantage?

Imagine if it was the playoffs 2014 and the 49ers had to fly to London to play the London Dips**ts at home?

Why all the hate? Hardly anybody here wants a franchise, the real fans want it to stay at home in america and we'll come to you to watch it properly. It's not a "London Dipsh*ts thing. It's Roger "Show me the Money" Goodell.

Stop having a go at the genuine fans here in the UK. What did we ever do wrong?

How many states in the US don't have a team? Crikey, I'd give a franchise back to LA before here. In fact I could probably reel off 20 places in the US to start up a new franchise, even Canada like in the Hockey. There's no way we should have one.

I think you're being too sensitive about this. I don't think of the "hate" is directed at fans in Europe, but at Goodell for thinking this is a good idea. Lighten up.

It was just the first name that popped into my head. But seriously, can you imagine all the draft picks that refuse to play and live overseas?
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
f**king stupid
Yeah Chief, I don't see that going over very well. I remember when NFL Europe was still around one of our guys other there was interviewed when he came back and was asked something like what he disliked the most about being over there and he said the food was horrible Just a weird thing I remembered

So how come all those people watch Rugby Union, Rugby League and Cricket?

Lets trade the Raiders to the UK for a rugby franchise!

Just kidding, for all the reasons already stated in this thread (draft issues, travel issues, prolonged fan interest, etc) this sounds like a really bad idea.
I'm okay with this it's London hosting the Super Bowl that got me enranged.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

And Motor Racing, Tennis, Golf, Athletics, Boxing..........

I understand the reluctance to the idea of the sport moving overseas for game but the reality is that for any sport to grow then decisions, and by that I mean at times difficult and disliked ones, will have to be made.

I applaud Goodell for his vision here. He knows that there are followers from other countries. He also knows that he has a marketable product. People should be aware that whilst this year took a little longer to sell out, which is understandable considering the current economic climate, 85,000 people are still going to watch it and last year the NFL match up recorded the most profits of a sports event in the history of Wembley. For those with no knowledge of this stadium then rest assured it has hosted some true GLOBAL events.

There is a great deal of interest in the sport over here. Its one of the fastest growing sports in University and the coverage of our own domestic leagues is increasing. Of course you have to understand that we are the island that created Football and Rugby. The foundations of Modern Gridiron. And those sports have been with us for well over a hundred years. You can't just switch that all off. It takes commitment, patience and reward for effort if you wish to break into a new market. Hence the reason there is new found speculation over increased games.

NFL Europe did flounder although it would be remiss to believe that this was a sign of any refusal to accept the game. The real problem was the league came too late, was too poorly structured, too poorly advertised and not enough commitment from the NFL to do anything about it. More could have been done.

I don't believe 4 games will ever come about frankly but I think 2 is manageable. You have to understand that whilst as a fan of say Miami you might be pissed off that you are losing a game at home you should be thinking this is an opportunity to bring the game abroad. By that I mean the fans. We have nothing like Tailgating over here.

Unfortunately, periods of football related violence nationwide has turned the atmosphere of games from one of fun to one of hate. Fans do not mix. This is slightly relaxed in rugby but its still nothing like the NFL. In the UK you are shepherd into the stadium to watch the game and then instructed to leave. Pronto. Its like a cattle show. The fans of the NFL are a major asset for the league. I for one would encourage them to travel and show us how to enjoy the game day.

A London franchise is possible yes but it would take a long time to plan. If the same commitment is around 5 or 6 years from now then the option of a UK franchise is one the NFL should not turn its noses up. I agree that it might be perceived as complete home field advantage but show me a team in the NFL that doesn't get that nowadays? As for the draft I think some players may be concerned about travelling but I suspect a professional well-rounded individual to give the prospect of living in a new culture some real thought. Nothing to say he couldn't return during the offseason. Many players don't live with their teams. Also I think more stress would be put on the UK franchise to uncover foreign talent to fill the roster than picking from the draft. I still think its way off from ever happening mind.

I think at the moment nothing is in discussion. It is purely speculation that is a consequence of the hype the game brings.

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Thats pretty stupid because nobody in the UK even gives a f**k about american football.

Exactly

If I was a team owner I would b***h and moan about it, especially with all the terrorist BS going on, wouldnt want my team at risk of being attacked by these crazy b*****ds

As for the above. I understand your initial reaction to be upset but shame on you. This is not the forum for comments such as those and certainly not the one for such ignorance of not only our history but of America's too. There is terrorism in all nations.
[ Edited by Envy on Oct 24, 2009 at 10:04 AM ]
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by English:

And Motor Racing, Tennis, Golf, Athletics, Boxing..........

I understand the reluctance to the idea of the sport moving overseas for game but the reality is that for any sport to grow then decisions, and by that I mean at times difficult and disliked ones, will have to be made.

I applaud Goodell for his vision here. He knows that there are followers from other countries. He also knows that he has a marketable product. People should be aware that whilst this year took a little longer to sell out, which is understandable considering the current economic climate, 85,000 people are still going to watch it and last year the NFL match up recorded the most profits of a sports event in the history of Wembley. For those with no knowledge of this stadium then rest assured it has hosted some true GLOBAL events.

There is a great deal of interest in the sport over here. Its one of the fastest growing sports in University and the coverage of our own domestic leagues is increasing. Of course you have to understand that we are the island that created Football and Rugby. The foundations of Modern Gridiron. And those sports have been with us for well over a hundred years. You can't just switch that all off. It takes commitment, patience and reward for effort if you wish to break into a new market. Hence the reason there is new found speculation over increased games.

NFL Europe did flounder although it would be remiss to believe that this was a sign of any refusal to accept the game. The real problem was the league came too late, was too poorly structured, too poorly advertised and not enough commitment from the NFL to do anything about it. More could have been done.

I don't believe 4 games will ever come about frankly but I think 2 is manageable. You have to understand that whilst as a fan of say Miami you might be pissed off that you are losing a game at home you should be thinking this is an opportunity to bring the game abroad. By that I mean the fans. We have nothing like Tailgating over here.

Unfortunately, periods of football related violence nationwide has turned the atmosphere of games from one of fun to one of hate. Fans do not mix. This is slightly relaxed in rugby but its still nothing like the NFL. In the UK you are shepherd into the stadium to watch the game and then instructed to leave. Pronto. Its like a cattle show. The fans of the NFL are a major asset for the league. I for one would encourage them to travel and show us how to enjoy the game day.

A London franchise is possible yes but it would take a long time to plan. If the same commitment is around 5 or 6 years from now then the option of a UK franchise is one the NFL should not turn its noses up. I agree that it might be perceived as complete home field advantage but show me a team in the NFL that doesn't get that nowadays? As for the draft I think some players may be concerned about travelling but I suspect a professional well-rounded individual to give the prospect of living in a new culture some real thought. Nothing to say he couldn't return during the offseason. Many players don't live with their teams. Also I think more stress would be put on the UK franchise to uncover foreign talent to fill the roster than picking from the draft. I still think its way off from ever happening mind.

I think at the moment nothing is in discussion. It is purely speculation that is a consequence of the hype the game brings.

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Thats pretty stupid because nobody in the UK even gives a f**k about american football.

Exactly

If I was a team owner I would b***h and moan about it, especially with all the terrorist BS going on, wouldnt want my team at risk of being attacked by these crazy b*****ds

As for the above. I understand your initial reaction to be upset but shame on you. This is not the forum for comments such as those and certainly not the one for such ignorance of not only our history but of America's too. There is terrorism in all nations.

What he said. Except for golf. Golf is not a sport, Envy. I have no idea what it is, but it is not a sport!
I am sick of Roger Goodell trying to move the NFL overseas. Its not going to work. NFL Europe failed. He better not put one of are home games overseas.
Share 49ersWebzone