LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

The UK "May host 4 games by 2012"

Shop 49ers game tickets
it would be like the US hosting pro Rugby games. Sure people would show up, but would anyone really care who's playing or who won? Probably not.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
Thats pretty stupid because nobody in the UK even gives a f**k about american football.

That's quite possibly one of the most pathetic statements I have ever read on this website. You should do more homework and take a look.

http://www.footballdiner.com/

http://www.nfluk.com/

You can take your website links shove them up your ass. Because Im speaking from first hand experience. I've been to the UK many times and I have a lot of family that lives there. Trust me, there is not much support for this sport over there. Most of the tickets for these games are given away for free.

Horsecrap. Two 90000 sell outs in two years, another game just shy of a sell out this year suggests that it is a very popular sport. You only have to walk the streets of any major town here to see Jersey's, hats, hoodies of people generally, most, if you stop them will chat to you about the game.

It's "fans" like you that give Football fans a bad name, your opinion sucks, you're clearly ignorant of the facts and as for "sticking my links up my ass" take a look man, you might actually appreciate how much the sport really does mean to some people here.
Thats pretty stupid because nobody in the UK even gives a f**k about american football.

That's quite possibly one of the most pathetic statements I have ever read on this website. You should do more homework and take a look.

You can take your website links shove them up your ass. Because Im speaking from first hand experience. I've been to the UK many times and I have a lot of family that lives there. Trust me, there is not much support for this sport over there. Most of the tickets for these games are given away for free.

And if you read my initial post, you will see that I don't agree with it anyway, so less of the attacks.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

And if you read my initial post, you will see that I don't agree with it anyway, so less of the attacks.

Sorry if I offended you by telling your shove the links. I apologize, however I do stand by my statement on american football in the UK.

Sorry if I offended you by telling your shove the links. I apologize, however I do stand by my statement on american football in the UK.

It's tough at times trying to follow the sport here, (even more so a West Coast team) and there are genuinely tens and tens of thousands of really die hard fans here (ok, so it's not millions) but please don't write us off, and some of us get totally fed up being written off by some of you lot for "not knowing what we're on about" "We don't care" etc etc when we really do.

The NFL and the College game I'd watch 7 days a week over "soccer" and I know lots of people, just personally to myself that'd do the same.

Heck, I even spoke direct on the phone to Roger Craig this week and have exchanged several emails since and will speak to him again. How many other 49ers fans can say that?
[ Edited by BrianUKNiner on Oct 23, 2009 at 11:59 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

It's tough at times trying to follow the sport here, (even more so a West Coast team) and there are genuinely tens and tens of thousands of really die hard fans here (ok, so it's not millions) but please don't write us off, and some of us get totally fed up being written off by some of you lot for "not knowing what we're on about" "We don't care" etc etc when we really do.

The NFL and the College game I'd watch 7 days a week over "soccer" and I know lots of people, just personally to myself that'd do the same.

Heck, I even spoke direct on the phone to Roger Craig this week and have exchanged several emails since and will speak to him again. How many other 49ers fans can say that?

Thats outstanding that you continue to follow the NFL over there. I remember one of my visits I went to cricket match and I met a guy who also was a big NFL fan. The numbers are small because everybody is pretty in love soccer.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
What bugs me the most is this...

Kraft said placing an NFL team in London "would be the right thing to do some time in the next decade."

Goodell said he would prefer a potential London-based team was a completely new franchise, rather than moving one from an existing market.

Can you say home field advantage?

Imagine if it was the playoffs 2014 and the 49ers had to fly to London to play the London Dips**ts at home?
[ Edited by Chief on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:08 PM ]

Thats outstanding that you continue to follow the NFL over there. I remember one of my visits I went to cricket match and I met a guy who also was a big NFL fan. The numbers are small because everybody is pretty in love soccer.

People are slowly moving away from soccer though and more of my friends have started taking a genuine interest in the NFL. Obviously Football will never out bid soccer for the #1 spot but the opportunity is here right now for the NFL to grab moe fans.

4 games though is insane, even 2 is too much.

I was putting some figures together earlier.

My season ticket at my team cost me £445 for 23 home games.
4 NFL games at around £85 a ticket is a shade under £100 the above. People will never go for it at those kind of prices. A season ticket for a Premier League club is even more than that.

People would have to decide between 4 days out at the extortianately over priced London or 23 days out at their local side. It doesn't take much of a genius to work out what will happen.
Originally posted by Chief:
What bugs me the most is this...

Kraft said placing an NFL team in London "would be the right thing to do some time in the next decade."

Goodell said he would prefer a potential London-based team was a completely new franchise, rather than moving one from an existing market.

Can you say home field advantage?

Imagine if it was the playoffs 2014 and the 49ers had to fly to London to play the London Dips**ts at home?

Why all the hate? Hardly anybody here wants a franchise, the real fans want it to stay at home in america and we'll come to you to watch it properly. It's not a "London Dipsh*ts thing. It's Roger "Show me the Money" Goodell.

Stop having a go at the genuine fans here in the UK. What did we ever do wrong?

How many states in the US don't have a team? Crikey, I'd give a franchise back to LA before here. In fact I could probably reel off 20 places in the US to start up a new franchise, even Canada like in the Hockey. There's no way we should have one.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Exactly

If I was a team owner I would b***h and moan about it, especially with all the terrorist BS going on, wouldnt want my team at risk of being attacked by these crazy b*****ds

This is possibly the most ignorant post I have ever read. I can't even be bothered to try to confront the blinkered and uninformed view of the world it demonstrates.

On the original subject, good. There is a small but very passionate fanbase here in the UK. There NFL killed the pre-season America Bowl visit, but offered up these occasional games as an alternative.

The people who use the travel argument against this rare visit need only check the regular travel plans of most NFL teams, particularly the West Coast franchises.

The comment about a franchise being based in the UK is surely baloney. There are a number of places higher on the shopping list than us.

And Susweel, I am happy that you have visited the UK various times. But that doesn't make you an expert on it. One thing almost all of those running the UK Booster Clubs agreed on was that the fanbase whilst relatively small was rabid in it's commitment to the game. Committed in such a way which quite often shames the home fans. You have to be, or you wouldn't stick with it.

There won't be a UK franchise, though.

There's a lot of ignorant posts in here.

-9fA
so stupid.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

Sad times. I expected much better from some to be honest.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

Yeh, Bruce!!
Have all the pre-season games you want overseas, but fking teams, fans & season ticket holders by hosting games outside of either teams stadium like this pisses me off to no end.

You want to promote the game? Just televise them, GODell, you fking AHOLE.
Share 49ersWebzone