LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Question about Division winners....

Shop 49ers game tickets
If a team goes 6-10 but sweeps thier division rivals, and another team in the same division goes 12-4 but had a record of 2-4 in the division who would be considered the division winner?

I was debating this with my barber and i said the 12-4 team is considered the winner because of overall record. Who was right?
Originally posted by King49er:
Yes obviously it's overall record.
Your barber is an idiot. (For your sake, I hope you aren't a schizophrenic that cuts his own hair.)

[ Edited by IWASATTHECATCH on Oct 3, 2009 at 13:08:04 ]
http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Your barber is an idiot. (For your sake, I hope you aren't a schizophrenic that cuts his own hair.)

No. He dosent watch much football and just asked a question.
I think your barber may be confusing playoff standings with division winners.

Division winner = best record holder in division. If two records are the same, then it comes down to division record and other tie breakers.

Now for playoff standings, the four division winners get the first 4 playoff seeds. They are seeded in by wins. More wins = higher seed.

The other two spaces are for wildcards. Sometimes the wildcard can have a better record than the division winners, but since they didn't win their division, they will get a lower seed.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I think your barber may be confusing playoff standings with division winners.

Division winner = best record holder in division. If two records are the same, then it comes down to division record and other tie breakers.

Now for playoff standings, the four division winners get the first 4 playoff seeds. They are seeded in by wins. More wins = higher seed.

The other two spaces are for wildcards. Sometimes the wildcard can have a better record than the division winners, but since they didn't win their division, they will get a lower seed.

-9fA

Yup, there we go. And thank you for replying without dogging the guy.

^^ No worries

-9fA
Originally posted by 9rFan84:

Yup, there we go. And thank you for replying without dogging the guy.

Yeah, we're the ones that made him look good.

If a team goes 6-10... another team in the same division goes 12-4... who would be considered the division winner?

Who was right?

"Ask a (you know what) question... get a (you know what) answer."
  • Bille
  • Veteran

I don't get it, you say he doesn't watch much football, but you were still not sure whether you were right that the 12-4 team would win the division or the guy that doesn't watch much football who thinks the 6-10 team would win the division was right?
Originally posted by Bille:

I don't get it, you say he doesn't watch much football, but you were still not sure whether you were right that the 12-4 team would win the division or the guy that doesn't watch much football who thinks the 6-10 team would win the division was right?

he's gonna go all NinersSF on us
Share 49ersWebzone