LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

Lions to start Stafford at QB

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by crzy:
If he's good, then he'll succeed regardless.

I don't believe in all the people saying that starting a rookie quarterback will ruin him. I think it's nonsense.

Alex Smith failed because he lacked talent. David Carr failed because he lacked talent.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco succeeded because they had talent.

I'm having a hard time believing that the Lions' Oline has more talent then Carr and Smith had their rookie years. The kid is gonna get knocked on his ass a ton this year and the Lions are gonna regret making this move. They shoulda had Daunte start and have Stafford play in garbage time in the 2nd half.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:

I don't believe in all the people saying that starting a rookie quarterback will ruin him. I think it's nonsense.

Alex Smith failed because he lacked talent. David Carr failed because he lacked talent.

I'm having a hard time believing that the Lions' Oline has more talent then Carr and Smith had their rookie years. The kid is gonna get knocked on his ass a ton this year and the Lions are gonna regret making this move. They shoulda had Daunte start and have Stafford play in garbage time in the 2nd half.

Who cares if he get knocked on his ass? That is what happens in football.

If he's so mentally weak to be rattled by getting sacked then he wouldn't have succeeded in the NFL anyways.

Peyton Manning or Matt Ryan would have succeeded with the 2005 Niners or the 2002 Texans. Because they are elite talents

Good quarterbacks succeed regardless of the weapons around them or the lack of an offensive line.
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:

Who cares if he get knocked on his ass? That is what happens in football.

If he's so mentally weak to be rattled by getting sacked then he wouldn't have succeeded in the NFL anyways.

Peyton Manning or Matt Ryan would have succeeded with the 2005 Niners or the 2002 Texans. Because they are elite talents

Good quarterbacks succeed regardless of the weapons around them or the lack of an offensive line.

Getting sacked 76 times in your rookie season not to mention however many other hits Carr took will make anybody rattled even Manning and Ryan. Manning was sacked 22 times his rookie season and Ryan only 17 times thanks in large part to them both having a solid o-line. Now put them behind the Lion's o-line or the Texans o-line from 02 and I highly doubt they woulda done as well as they did their rookie years.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for fzrdave.
I hope it works out for them, but I think I'd go with Daunte Culpepper.
I dont see this ending well... atleast he has megatron to throw to and kevin smith is pretty good. but that ol is awful and hes a rookie. ksmith and megatron may save him from being a total bust though. my guess is he throws 8 tds, 22 ints, and is sacked 54 times.
megatron? WTF
This is not a good idea. He will get killed.
Originally posted by backontop:
megatron? WTF

what? you didn't know that is Calvin Johnson's nickname?
We play them this year. I smell a many INTs that game
Originally posted by backontop:
megatron? WTF

hey i didnt come up with it, thats just his nickname.

Again with this. In his rookie year, Peyton Manning was throwing to Marvin Harrison. And he had had probably one of the biggest threats out of the backfield that decade to hand the ball off to.

....Marshall Faulk. Maybe you guys have heard of him.

Joe Flacco was throwing to a PRO BOWL receiver in Derrick Mason, and a PRO BOWL tight end in Todd Heap. Also, he had a monster running game that accumulated over 2000 yards that year, headed by a PRO BOWL running back in Willis McGahee.

Alex had Brandon Lloyd as his #1, Kevin Barlow in the backfield, no O-Line to speak of.

...How we make these giant leaps of logic trying to compare his situation to Manning or Flacco I'll never know. Like, seriously...I don't get it.

(And I'm not saying if he had the same supporting cast as Flacco, or Manning he'd be just as good, but you can bet your boots the result would have been much better.)
Share 49ersWebzone