LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 312 users in the forums

TV camera coverage rant

Shop 49ers game tickets
TV, despite formidable technology, doesn't really give us the whole game.
From my typical endzone seat one can see so much more of the game. You can see numbers, motions, formations and the lonely jobs of the defensive backs.

The typical sideline camera angle is just getting less acceptable to me.

The game really looks a lot more impressive from that end-zone angle because you can see how much the pros play in space, not all bunched-up looking like the side view tends to show.

Blocking and tackling looks so difficult when it is done in space and so many viewers who don't go to games, pro games anyway, are just not aware of that level of skill.

Maybe they could show us some end zone views instead of:

Cute girls getting horrible sideline interviews. Get nekked and I'll be interested.

Shots by fabulous HD cameras showing pores, nose hairs and carefully guarded expressions of players. Just because you can virtually shove a camera up a person's nose doesn't mean you should.

(I do have a soft spot for shots of Al Davis and Jerry Jones. That is different).

I would like views of fans who run out onto the field getting leveled. We would all like that. Don't show their face, pixelate it so as to not give them any publicity.

No more shots of sad clowns in costumes, sign-holders or any publicity seekers. Seriously, some of these people are mental. It isn't cute anymore. How often do we have to see the Old Codger playing a ukalelee or those very strange Raider guys in cartoon suits? Did the guy with rainbow hair go away? Good lord, did anybody at all ever think he was worth two seconds of air time?

Hot girls are ok, clearly.

We need a wider, more inclusive view to see the true story. Hope a TV person or two thinks about this.
ok......what????
  • ZRF80
I dont have a problem with the sideline view of the game. However, I do have a problem with the sideline view of the game from Candlestick Park. Most stadiums give you a wide angle shot, where you can see the QB, receivers, and the backs all in one frame when they line up at the LOS. However, in Candlestick, the camera angle only lets you see the QB and possibly the distant receiver lined up far right. When the Niners move to around the 20-30 yard seat, there's this disgusting camera angle they use halfway between the 50 yard sideline and the goalpost. It's a 45 degree angle view, where you have absolutely no clue how the play is going.

Im surprised no one makes a bigger deal of this. Maybe because the majority of Ninerfans are in San Fran, and dont have the luxury like a lot of us to see different NFL games on any given Sunday. But I gotta say, the camera shots from Candlestick certainly are not the best.
tell me how you really feel
Originally posted by carlgo:
TV, despite formidable technology, doesn't really give us the whole game.
From my typical endzone seat one can see so much more of the game. You can see numbers, motions, formations and the lonely jobs of the defensive backs.

The typical sideline camera angle is just getting less acceptable to me.

The game really looks a lot more impressive from that end-zone angle because you can see how much the pros play in space, not all bunched-up looking like the side view tends to show.

Blocking and tackling looks so difficult when it is done in space and so many viewers who don't go to games, pro games anyway, are just not aware of that level of skill.

Maybe they could show us some end zone views instead of:

Cute girls getting horrible sideline interviews. Get nekked and I'll be interested.

Shots by fabulous HD cameras showing pores, nose hairs and carefully guarded expressions of players. Just because you can virtually shove a camera up a person's nose doesn't mean you should.

(I do have a soft spot for shots of Al Davis and Jerry Jones. That is different).

I would like views of fans who run out onto the field getting leveled. We would all like that. Don't show their face, pixelate it so as to not give them any publicity.

No more shots of sad clowns in costumes, sign-holders or any publicity seekers. Seriously, some of these people are mental. It isn't cute anymore. How often do we have to see the Old Codger playing a ukalelee or those very strange Raider guys in cartoon suits? Did the guy with rainbow hair go away? Good lord, did anybody at all ever think he was worth two seconds of air time?

Hot girls are ok, clearly.

We need a wider, more inclusive view to see the true story. Hope a TV person or two thinks about this.

If you got side seat season tickets I'll trade you straight up no matter where they are. I have endzone seats right behind the goal post the Niners come out of and I hate them. I can hardly tell whats happening.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I dont have a problem with the sideline view of the game. However, I do have a problem with the sideline view of the game from Candlestick Park. Most stadiums give you a wide angle shot, where you can see the QB, receivers, and the backs all in one frame when they line up at the LOS. However, in Candlestick, the camera angle only lets you see the QB and possibly the distant receiver lined up far right. When the Niners move to around the 20-30 yard seat, there's this disgusting camera angle they use halfway between the 50 yard sideline and the goalpost. It's a 45 degree angle view, where you have absolutely no clue how the play is going.

Im surprised no one makes a bigger deal of this. Maybe because the majority of Ninerfans are in San Fran, and dont have the luxury like a lot of us to see different NFL games on any given Sunday. But I gotta say, the camera shots from Candlestick certainly are not the best.

So nobody in the Bay Area ever sees games from any other area? At least, Sunday and Monday night games are every week occurrences. Let alone Sunday Ticket subscribers.
I agree that it can be frustrating to only see a certain angle when you know there are other things going on, on the field.

I think sometime in the next few years (hopefully sooner than later) technology will get to the point where you can pick your camera angle and rewatch plays like on Madden. . . . it will be awesome . . . but it will take me six hours to get through a game.
i love the monday night wire cam.

also i love the seats you are talking about. but i have horrible vision and can not tell which WR is who, i even have problems figuring out who is vernon and who is morgan.

but i prefer to see the play unfolding from those seats.
not to mention the fact that they are using telephoto focal lengths on those cameras for their "wider" horizontal field shots...making the players and game look A LOT faster than they actually are....

then they go to the same camera's on the vertical down the field shots and all of a sudden everything looks slower..

its all a trick of how lenses work, but i notice things like this, they need to just stick with 50mm focal length's for the actual total field shots, so everything looks regular..then zoom when you want those intimate moments with players and coaches..

Maybe a different type of camera or size I should say. An elevated endzone shot may be interesting. I would probably prefer a side shot but maybe a slight change to show more of the field.
End zone seats can be pretty awesome when your team is about to punch one in near you, but if they are at the other end of the field, then you've got to rely upon the Jumbo Tron.
[ Edited by fzrdave on Aug 29, 2009 at 1:24 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone