LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

How come Offensive lineman aren't rotated like Dlineman?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Don't they get tired too?

I ask cause i often seen Ray Mac coming in for Soap or J. Smith last season.

How can the Oline endure more?
Offensive linemen don't get as tired because they aren't pursuing. They are shoving, pushing, and mauling, but they aren't pursuing a moving target. Even when they trap and pull, they make their contact and once the back is past them they can release.

Rushing wise they get to use their weight and momentum to push forward and that is it. Pass blocking takes a little more out of them because they have to step back and then plant and wall the defender off. But that still doesn't equal the amount of energy a d-linemen expends fighting off a usually much heavier opponent by either bullrushing or trying to get around them.

Even if they win their individual matchup they then have to follow up by pursuing a moving target and trying to catch them. It's the reason defenses tire out earlier as well. Pursuit.

One position on the D-line that is similar is NT, who doesn't get rotated as often as the ends do in a 3-4. But even 3-4 ends don't get rotated as often as 4-3 D-linemen.

Then you have to account for down and distance, as some D tackles are penetrators and some are run stuffers.
If you think the offensive linement aren't exhausted you've obviously never played the position. At the end of the game there isn't a player more spent that an offensive lineman.

Defensive rotations have more to do with scheme than energy level.

If it were soley a fresh legs type of thing you would see offenses rotate linemen more often, but you don't.

The reason you don't see them being rotated is that the QB, RB, and the 5 guys up front are far more comfortable working with the guys they know best.[/code]
not to mention that the oLine is more effective when working as a unit. making constant substitutions throughout the game could throw off their rhythm. those guys need to be more in sync than anyone else out there
I would say lack of depth is a big reason why.

Another would be the need for offensive linemen to work as a cohesive unit. On every play, each linemen has a specific assignment that they each need to understand. If one misses their assignment the play could easily get blown up.

On the defensive side, D-linemen generally have one assignment: Pressure the QB anyway possible :)
Originally posted by boomer49er:
If you think the offensive linement aren't exhausted you've obviously never played the position. At the end of the game there isn't a player more spent that an offensive lineman.

Defensive rotations have more to do with scheme than energy level.

If it were soley a fresh legs type of thing you would see offenses rotate linemen more often, but you don't.

The reason you don't see them being rotated is that the QB, RB, and the 5 guys up front are far more comfortable working with the guys they know best.[/code]

Lol. The fat men have the least amount of energy spent then anyone on the field aside from QB and kickers, give me a break. The absolute least. Aside from DB's and WRs, they are the least beat up as well. Lbs are beat up in a different way, but the fact that they are constantly pursuing or covering makes them spend more energy than an O-linemen easily.

Most spent. Lol. They may feel that way, but anyone who has played multiple positions or have gone both ways on the line will tell you the difference. One of the funniest things I have ever read.
It is for coheisiveness of the line! When the line plays on the same page things tend to run smoothly! Which is why having jennings on the team kinda made it hard since he was always hurt! Then the unknown personal reason last yr. Which after his return we alternated snyder and jennings.

Alternating the line aint a good idea if ya don't have to! If a guy sucks in the pass dept but good in the run, it makes ya predictable to the defense if ya sub out players. And the fluidness of the line is what will keep your qb clean.

Lol even tho it woulda been nice to sub out ol kwami in his days as a niner on passing downs!
Flag holding on #77 x's 99
Flag false start on #77 x's99

If only he woulda did a necessary unneccessary roughness on a great d player n gotten ejected it woulda helped out a lot on the passing side of the game lol
Actually rotating O-Linemen isn't unheard of. Lombardi used to relay plays with OG's and I can recall McKittrick would rotate linemen. I remember in 89 Terry Tausch and Bruce Collie would rotate at RG and Bubba Paris & Steve Wallace would rotate at LT. Typically McKittrick would alternate quarters.
I think there was an instance where Bill Walsh rotated offensive linemen in the 80's.

NM, completely missed the quote above mine.

[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 4, 2009 at 08:52:15 ]
  • Adman
  • Veteran
I think this thread brings up a pretty interesting question.

However, football is slower then you think, besides no huddle times.

After each play the line has a good minute to recoup there breathe....plus commercials and resting while the defense is on the field.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FGore2121:
not to mention that the oLine is more effective when working as a unit. making constant substitutions throughout the game could throw off their rhythm. those guys need to be more in sync than anyone else out there

This is correct, it takes a while to get the cross blocking, trapping and pulling down.
You have to know your fellow lineman very well. Too much substituting would ruin the cohesiveness and guys would be running into each other. I do think defense is more exhausting, played linebacker and filled in at offensive tackle, tackle was easier on the body. There isn't any position on a football field that doesn't wear you out, except kicker.
Share 49ersWebzone