LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

I hope it's Good bye Damon Huard, hello Nate Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Let'em battle it out for the 3rd spot, loser either goes to the practice squad or released. We could always get a late round QB in next years draft and we could always pick up a veteran QB next year or anytime during the season for that matter.
Is it possible to keep davis and store him on the PUP list for whole year with a fake injury so no other team swipes him up if he were on our practice squad?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 5xChamp:
Is it possible to keep davis and store him on the PUP list for whole year with a fake injury so no other team swipes him up if he were on our practice squad?

I'm sure its possible, seems to me that's exactly what they did with Jay Moore.
If it is that to me seems like the best solution since I think we need a a vetern Qb like Huard at the #3 slot.
Originally posted by King49er:
Another player that everyone is getting all horny for, who was a 5th round pick, and has yet to see so much as an exhibition game......

Originally posted by Kolohe:

Why should Davis play ball with this fraud, if another team is interested in signing him and giving him a shot?

Get caught on this and I would imagine we can wave goodbye to a load more draft picks.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

Why should Davis play ball with this fraud, if another team is interested in signing him and giving him a shot?

Get caught on this and I would imagine we can wave goodbye to a load more draft picks.

Because if he goes on IR, he gets paid his contract.
Originally posted by tn9er:

Well, that implies he is only after the money. If he gets pickedvup by another team he gets paid, he gets to practice and he may even get some game time.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tn9er:

Well, that implies he is only after the money. If he gets pickedvup by another team he gets paid, he gets to practice and he may even get some game time.

Personally I could careless what we do with Nate Davis, if he gets picked up oh well, its not like we'll never get another project QB to play with. But if excepts to be hidden on PUP list than that only benefits him and buys him more time to develop.

Small risk high reward type of situation no biggie.
I think we all need to learn from the Bill Walsh/Patriots way of bringing up QBs. You don't pay a young QB at the time when he is ready to play, you pay a young QB in order to keep him, develop him, and MAKE him ready for when you need him.

Walsh took and paid a Steve Young so that he can sit on the bench and learn. The Pats took a guy who never played in college, paid him to be on the roster so that he can sit on the bench and learn until he is ready.

Why are we in the mentality that Davis should only get a contract if we will absolutely play him? Why not get him on the roster, develop him the right way so that he will be ready when we do actually need him.

In all honestly, to me, just about any QB should be able to perform at a slightly average to above average if he's developed properly and HIS specific strengths are used properly.

[ Edited by Joecool on Jun 30, 2009 at 11:07:50 ]

I'm hoping Davis flashes enough skill to WIN HIM the 3rd QB spot, he is a talented player and letting absorb him the system all season will really prepare him for down the road, I say play the hell out of him in pre season and get him as much game experience as possible.

Huard is a savvy veteran and will find some work quickly, we drafted Davis in the 5th, we might as well work on developing him NOW !!!
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'm hoping Davis flashes enough skill to WIN HIM the 3rd QB spot, he is a talented player and letting absorb him the system all season will really prepare him for down the road, I say play the hell out of him in pre season and get him as much game experience as possible.

Huard is a savvy veteran and will find some work quickly, we drafted Davis in the 5th, we might as well work on developing him NOW !!!

Yup I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if he lands on the practice squad do to keeping the vet tho. Id say it prob will be determined during trainning camp, and pre season tho. I guess this is kinda stating the obvious I suppose?
Unless he's the second coming of Steve Young in training camp, you can bet that Nate Davis = Practice Squad for this season.
Share 49ersWebzone