LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 188 users in the forums

Niners-Titans Comparisons

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
They've had the same coach and system for like 15 years. We are nowhere close to that in any way,
Originally posted by TX9R:
They've had the same coach and system for like 15 years. We are nowhere close to that in any way,

but we could be
Originally posted by Niners99:
wow, are you seriously going to stick Coffee and Sheets as our 2-3 backs in comparison to the Titans backfield?

Coffee and Sheets might not even make the team. we still have Robinson and Clayton. saying Coffee and Sheets are our 2nd and 3rd best RB before summer camp is very much jumping the gun.

were similar in this way, and only this way. were a running team with poor WR's and a so-so QB who just manages the game while we hope the D keeps it under 20 so maybe we can win it.

I'll give you Sheets but if you read quotes its obvious the team on all levels expects Coffee to be the #2 back. Maybe that's hard for you to understand that a rookie could be that much more talented than Foster or Robinson but the writing is on the wall. Sheets would probably be a situational back so I'm not saying they will get heavy minutes or be Pro Bowlers.

And yes I would take a QB with an arm that has so-so arm strength ( was that the so- so you were talking about) who doesn't shoot the team in the foot any day.
nevermind we have much better WR corps now after the draft.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
nevermind we have much better WR corps now after the draft.

we have the potential makings of a much better receiving corp, but it's not like the Titans haven't been trying to fix their receiver problems either.

While we can get as excited as we want about Crabs, but he could end up being the next Peter Warrick or Charles Rogers. We just don't know

As for the rest of our exciting receiving corp (Jones, Morgan, Hill, Battle, Zeigler), last year it would take all 5 of them to equal the stats of a great wr (about 1400 yards and 7 tds).

We're young at the position, we've got that going for us, but I think it's pretty early to be saying we have a "much" better receiving corp.
Originally posted by Niners99:
wow, are you seriously going to stick Coffee and Sheets as our 2-3 backs in comparison to the Titans backfield?

Coffee and Sheets might not even make the team. we still have Robinson and Clayton. saying Coffee and Sheets are our 2nd and 3rd best RB before summer camp is very much jumping the gun.

were similar in this way, and only this way. were a running team with poor WR's and a so-so QB who just manages the game while we hope the D keeps it under 20 so maybe we can win it.

I see you espouse the glass half empty theory.

Why is everyone so high on Clayton? What has he done? If he couldn't beat out Foster and Robinson, then what does that tell you.
  • JR80
  • Veteran

ONLY people on this board would compare a 7-9 team with mediocre to low level talent to a 14-2 team with high level talent and skilled position players

...come on you guys.
  • Dino
  • Veteran

I think our DL was decent after Manusky got full control after the dictator was fired. This is why I think our D finished ranked 13th in the league.

After the dictator was fired, haha ha, the funny thing is dictators are usually successful in some serious shape or form, their just mean cuz their dictators, Nolan was just bad.

The only similarities I see are perhaps some vague strategies at the HC level concerning team identity and what they choose to emphasize.

Talent wise, we are not that close. They have more talent at QB, RB (as a group), OL, and pass rusher than we do. The only place we really hold a clear advantage is MLB & maybe TE, though an argument can be made for WR if you want to count "potential".

I can understand a general comparison, but we could easily make the same comparison to any other run or defense oriented team.
Originally posted by Overkill:
The only similarities I see are perhaps some vague strategies at the HC level concerning team identity and what they choose to emphasize.

Talent wise, we are not that close. They have more talent at QB, RB (as a group), OL, and pass rusher than we do. The only place we really hold a clear advantage is MLB & maybe TE, though an argument can be made for WR if you want to count "potential".

I can understand a general comparison, but we could easily make the same comparison to any other run or defense oriented team.

Do you see our talent "potentially" matching theirs? If Smith works out, or if Manny and Haralson finally meet their potential?
I see a lot of glaring comparisons between the Niners and Titans.

-Start at the top. Both have HC with strong views, visions, and want to execute that. I don't know if Fisher motivates as much as Sing. But I believe they are both strong communicators and express roles and expectations to all players on their rosters.

-Offense. Both want to have their offense physical and focused around the run. Johnson, White, Ringer vs. Gore, Coffee, Sheets. Both might use a legit 3 back system.

-Defense. Of course the Titans D-line got a lot of press last year with Haynesworth. But I think our DL was decent after Manusky got full control after the dictator was fired. This is why I think our D finished ranked 13th in the league.

-Special Teams- Both coaches, both teams include special teams as a major focus. FGs and returns are just as important as defense and offense.

-QB. After they drafted Chris Johnson and Young sat out the Titans made the playoffs because their QB was smart with the ball. Put the ball where his WRs could make plays, used the play action, and didn't shoot themselves in the foot. And oh yeah Hill is 7-3 as a starter and hasn't lost as a starter at home.

Anything I missed? Can you digg it?

lol Both jeff and mike like Brandon Jones.. hahah
Originally posted by Overkill:

Do you see our talent "potentially" matching theirs? If Smith works out, or if Manny and Haralson finally meet their potential?

I'm not sure how to answer this because it calls for so much speculation, but...

I guess that "if" either Smith or Hill is able to match Kerry Collins, than that certainly helps. Manny developing into a pass rush threat would also be huge, but I think Haralson has pretty much met his potential. Haralson has always been a guy that got sacks through sheer determination, not athletic ability. I don't see him getting much better, honestly.

We also need to improve our OL, but we are returning 4 starters to their same spots from last year so maybe they improve simply by building chemistry.

I just don't think we are any more similar to the Titans than we are to any of the other defense or running oriented teams.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
I see a lot of glaring comparisons between the Niners and Titans.

-Start at the top. Both have HC with strong views, visions, and want to execute that. I don't know if Fisher motivates as much as Sing. But I believe they are both strong communicators and express roles and expectations to all players on their rosters.

-Offense. Both want to have their offense physical and focused around the run. Johnson, White, Ringer vs. Gore, Coffee, Sheets. Both might use a legit 3 back system.

-Defense. Of course the Titans D-line got a lot of press last year with Haynesworth. But I think our DL was decent after Manusky got full control after the dictator was fired. This is why I think our D finished ranked 13th in the league.

-Special Teams- Both coaches, both teams include special teams as a major focus. FGs and returns are just as important as defense and offense.

-QB. After they drafted Chris Johnson and Young sat out the Titans made the playoffs because their QB was smart with the ball. Put the ball where his WRs could make plays, used the play action, and didn't shoot themselves in the foot. And oh yeah Hill is 7-3 as a starter and hasn't lost as a starter at home.

Anything I missed? Can you digg it?

lol Both jeff and mike like Brandon Jones.. hahah

No jeff doesn't like brandon jones no more but mike does and yet for some reason it seems like everyone has forgotten he was on the team. All the talks of crabtree, morgan, and bruce! So maybe only mike likes brandon jones I dunno
Share 49ersWebzone