LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Is the real smash mouth team across the bay?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think in the Bay Area you would have to refer to the Raiders as the real smash mouth team. Tom Cable comes in 2007 after helping the Falcons lead the NFL in rushing....and he has the Raiders averaging just under 130 yards a game over 2 seasons. And that is 2 seasons of losing football, almost always behind football, playing against a stacked box football...AND they still manage to drop 130 yards on their opponents. Now that Tom Cable also got the permanent position after being an interim HC, his philosphy will become even more deeply embedded. If McFadden turns it on now...look out.
Originally posted by danimal:
I think in the Bay Area you would have to refer to the Raiders as the real smash mouth team. Tom Cable comes in 2007 after helping the Falcons lead the NFL in rushing....and he has the Raiders averaging just under 130 yards a game over 2 seasons. And that is 2 seasons of losing football, almost always behind football, playing against a stacked box football...AND they still manage to drop 130 yards on their opponents. Now that Tom Cable also got the permanent position after being an interim HC, his philosphy will become even more deeply embedded. If McFadden turns it on now...look out.

Maybe we'll both be.
I think with both Singletary and Raye developing the philosophy we'll be relatively fine.

I don't think it's going to translate into an impressive record for either teams though.

did you even watch the games? they had to run they couldn't pass!

and to add another note.. Tom Rathman is now with us!
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Apr 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM ]

well of course their running game was good, they had no passing game lol
49ers would torch the Raiders.

Is this a raider forum .......why didn't anybody tell me
They had Rathman last year. Guess who has him this year?

Well look at who they have running the ball. Its not like they only have 1 good back like us with scrubs backing up the main back. They have McFadden, Bush, and Fargas. Thats 1 hell of a trio running the ball. All we need to do is get a big brusier RB like Bush and we should be all set to actually field a great smash mouth offense. Wells, A.Brown, Jennings or Greene will set us up to be a smash team. Hopefully we end up with a big back instead of a scat back.
Yeah, cause they can't throw the ball. What else are they gonna do?

• yoda76
  • Info N/A

That is great!

When a team is winning, they don't "stack the box" they play a prevent defense, and the fact that the raiders can actually run the ball against a prevent defense........is very impressive
omg, so far 3 zoners believe they were a good running team because they were a bad passing team

Lol, usually not having a good air attack means you are going to get stuffed in the run also. And they had to play from behind! According to your logic the Niners should have had the best rush in the last several years, because we certainly were among the worst in passing. Not sure where some of you are heading with this.

Besides, I am not looking for explanations why they are good at running...just that they have been. And we really haven't.

So far the only valid counter argument I have heard is that we have nabbed Rathman....but my argument is more that Cable had more of an influence then Rathman.

Rathman is a step in the right direction.

For the record I am not a fan of smash mouth teams...and I don't want to be a smash mouth team. I am simply stating, the only thing we really have so far is talk about becoming one. And if we do become effective at it, even within our other limitations all we have to do is look across the bay to see what kind of results we can expect.

We have hope they don't, we will win our division they won't. Psshh.
Originally posted by yoda76:

That is great!

When a team is winning, they don't "stack the box" they play a prevent defense, and the fact that the raiders can actually run the ball against a prevent defense........is very impressive

Most teams don't get into prevent into well late in the game, regardless of how much of a lead they have. Most teams simply stack the box against teams they absolutely have no respect for the passing game...from the very beginning of the game. I think playing against prevent late in the game factors a bit, but even when the Niners played against prevent they didn't put up these kind of running numbers....and we have Gore!!

Sorry, all signs point to the Raiders having a better running system than the Niners
Originally posted by yoda76:

That is great!

Most teams don't get into prevent into well late in the game, regardless of how much of a lead they have. Most teams simply stack the box against teams they absolutely have no respect for the passing game...from the very beginning of the game. I think playing against prevent late in the game factors a bit, but even when the Niners played against prevent they didn't put up these kind of running numbers....and we have Gore!!

Sorry, all signs point to the Raiders having a better running system than the Niners

If you can shut a team down in passing why not let that team run, and run out the clock. soon as they get cross the 50, D up and get the ball back. If the Raiders really had this Running attack they would have won more games.
Share 49ersWebzone