There are 266 users in the forums

Primetime

Shop 49ers game tickets
Sweet video, great memories - horrible music!
Originally posted by ezrider:
We would have won the Super Bowl that season with or without Sanders. He was just one star amongst many. We had Tim McDonald, Tyrone Drakeford, Merton Hanks, Dana Hall. We weren't exactly hurting in the secondary without him. He didn't stick around because he hated to share the spotlight with the GOAT, Jerry Rice. Let's keep our facts straight.

We had all those players the two years before too and Dallas took it to us, especially the secondary (remember Alvin Harper). Deion definitely made a HUGE difference. That being said I don't know if anyone would have stopped Young that season.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Originally posted by ezrider:
We would have won the Super Bowl that season with or without Sanders. He was just one star amongst many. We had Tim McDonald, Tyrone Drakeford, Merton Hanks, Dana Hall. We weren't exactly hurting in the secondary without him. He didn't stick around because he hated to share the spotlight with the GOAT, Jerry Rice. Let's keep our facts straight.

We had all those players the two years before too and Dallas took it to us, especially the secondary (remember Alvin Harper). Deion definitely made a HUGE difference. That being said I don't know if anyone would have stopped Young that season.

I guess I misspoke in a way. We destroy San Diego, Deion or no Deion. Save for 55-10, I can't recall a bigger anti-climax than that Superbowl. Ultimately, the goal of that season was to beat Dallas which we did twice that year in two tough games. Primetime made that possible by taking away the aforementioned wideout who usually destroyed us.

I honestly believe we've not seen a better cornerback in the NFL since. It wasn't just some perception of his dominance as someone suggested. The guy was a freak of nature out there. As good as we were, Dallas was a juggernaut. We needed every single superstar on our squad to beat them but I believe the piece that really put us over the top was him. It was tough enough with him but imagine us playing the Cowboys with Tyrone Drakeford or Toi Cook instead. I can't with confidence say we'd have had the same results twice that year.
[ Edited by joesfumanchu on Mar 31, 2009 at 8:18 PM ]
This guy's on Crabtree's side of the holdout... Hang Him!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I guess I am one of the few zoners not on his jock. He probably was one of the best shut down corners to play the game, but let a running back or tight end run his way with the football and he was looking for a place to hide. The guy feared contact and for that I have no admiration for him. His 4.2 speed seemed to vanish whenever it was time to come up to stop a running play. Ronnie Lott was basically the same size yet feared no one, those are the players I respect, not Deion Sanders.
Share 49ersWebzone