There are 194 users in the forums

rumored NFL lockout in 2011

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Originally posted by foreign49er:
If it does and its a big if, there will be replacement players. Owners can still make money off replacement players, no doubt.

I guess Tim Rattay, Ken Dorsey and Cody Pickett will be able to return to the league then.

Get ready for the Rattay vs. Dorsey thread .

lol, replacement players would be fun to watch, but we have a good team building, so of course I am totally AGAINST a lockout. Too bad we didnt have replacement players in 2004.

We DID. Nobody else did though.

And for all those saying that it won't happen because there is too much money at stake, never underestimate the stupidity of greedy men.
Originally posted by TheNaitch:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Looks like its going to happen. I have tweeted a couple of NFL Writers and some say no replacement players, while others say we will see them.

Owners like Jerry Jones and Richardson from Carolina are pressing for lockout.

What are the Zone's thoughts on this ?

Would not mind seeing replacement players after Sunday's Niner performance.

What is meant by "replacement players"? I don't understand the situation.

In a case of a work stoppage, the owners (if they want to) can get replacement players. In 1987, there was a short players strike and the owners picked up replacement players for 3 weeks. Basically, players were signed off the street. Since this work stoppage would start before the season , teams can get UFL or CFL players, some teams may have open tryouts.

I heard they can't do that anymore?

they can if a lockout/strike happens.
Looks like its going to happen. I have tweeted a couple of NFL Writers and some say no replacement players, while others say we will see them.

Owners like Jerry Jones and Richardson from Carolina are pressing for lockout.

What are the Zone's thoughts on this ?

Would not mind seeing replacement players after Sunday's Niner performance.

What is meant by "replacement players"? I don't understand the situation.

In a case of a work stoppage, the owners (if they want to) can get replacement players. In 1987, there was a short players strike and the owners picked up replacement players for 3 weeks. Basically, players were signed off the street. Since this work stoppage would start before the season , teams can get UFL or CFL players, some teams may have open tryouts.

thanks appreciate it. all I can say is I hope there is no lockout. I love watchin football to much

me too, we will get NFL football in 2011. Either owners and players agree to a deal or we have replacement players. Owners will still make money with replacement players. And have full stadiums.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by foreign49er:
If it does and its a big if, there will be replacement players. Owners can still make money off replacement players, no doubt.

I guess Tim Rattay, Ken Dorsey and Cody Pickett will be able to return to the league then.

Get ready for the Rattay vs. Dorsey thread .

lol, replacement players would be fun to watch, but we have a good team building, so of course I am totally AGAINST a lockout. Too bad we didnt have replacement players in 2004.

We DID. Nobody else did though.

And for all those saying that it won't happen because there is too much money at stake, never underestimate the stupidity of greedy men.

Your post hit the nail right on the head, on both points.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Link

NFL union: Prepare for pending lockout

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The NFL players' union has advised its members to prepare for a lockout it expects to come in March, telling players to save their last three game checks this year in case there is no season in 2011.

In a letter to the players that was seen by The Associated Press, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said the union had an "internal deadline" for agreeing to a new collective bargaining agreement.

"That deadline has now passed," he wrote. "It is important that you protect yourself and your family."

The letter was dated Wednesday, and copies were strewn across a table in the New England Patriots locker room during the media availability on Saturday.

After a reporter asked players about the letter, a Patriots spokesman flipped the copies face-down.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello called the union's deadline "disappointing and inexplicable, especially for fans."

"We hope this does not mean the union has abandoned negotiating in favor of decertifying and litigating," he said. "We are ready to meet and negotiate anytime and anywhere. But it takes sustained effort and shared commitment to reach an agreement. One side can't do it alone."

It was not clear when the union's self-imposed deadline was or what has changed now that it has passed. NFLPA spokesman George Atallah did not immediately return calls seeking clarification.

The NFL has not missed games due to labor strife since 1987, when owners responded to a player strike by continuing the season with replacement players. But the prospect of a lost season in 2011 intensified when owners opted out of the collective bargaining agreement in 2008.

Smith has said that he believes the owners opted out with the goal of locking the players out. The NFLPA's home page features a "Lockout Watch" that counts down the days, hours, minutes and seconds until the CBA expires on March 3.

The one-page letter on NFLPA stationery said the union expects the lockout on March 4, and that players should work with their advisers to prepare for an impending lack of income.

It also said the league threatened to cancel the players' health insurance.

The union said it is filing a grievance to contest a cancellation of health insurance, citing a section of the collective bargaining agreement that states: "Players will continue to receive the benefits provided in this article through the end of the Plan Year in which they are released or otherwise sever employment."

Patriots offensive lineman Matt Light, one of the team's player representatives, said players understand the nature of the business but the threat to cancel health insurance is different.

"You're going to cancel somebody's health insurance and maybe they've got a baby that's due in the offseason?" he said. "Yeah, it gets personal."

Aiello said that there would be no interruption of health care, because of the federal COBRA law that allows employees to continue coverage at their own expense.

"This means that no player or family member would experience any change in coverage for so much as a single day because of a work stoppage," he said. "The union surely knows this and there is no excuse for suggesting otherwise."

Light said he is doing his best to educate his teammates on how to prepare.

"They've got to look at it like they're going into a period in which they are going to change their financial situation," he said. "Nobody knows what's going to happen. But if you're going to go a year without getting paid, you need to prepare accordingly."

Under the deal agreed to in 2006, the players get 59.6 percent of designated NFL revenues. The owners opted out of that deal beginning next year, arguing they have huge debts from building stadiums and starting up the NFL Network that make it impossible to be profitable.

The two sides met last month and said they made "some progress" on proposals involving an 18-game regular season and limiting offseason workouts.

Players have taken their case to the public in recent weeks, briefing Congress on the job loss and other economic impact of a lockout and even drafting letters for lawmakers to send to the league.

Using many of the same studies the NFL relies on when trumpeting public subsidies for new stadiums, an economist commissioned by the union estimated an average of about $160 million in local spending and 3,000 jobs would be lost in each league city if the full 2011 season were wiped out.

The NFL called the figures "a fairy tale."

New England linebacker Tully Banta-Cain said he was already squirreling away his savings in case of a lockout. Banta-Cain said he was also working on his outside businesses, which include a clothing line and a music label.

"I'm trying to prepare," he said. "And I'm trying to establish my off-the-field businesses and make sure I can make money in the offseason."
this thread makes me sad
It's looking more and more like no football in 2011
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

wtf

and we have to spend that time knowing that we sucked as$ this season
  • dj43
Brian Billick is pretty well connected on both sides. In a recent interview he said that there is just too much at stake on both sides for a lockout to occur. He suggested that both sides would lose a lot if a lockout damaged the image of the product.

In today's fragile economy, advertisers are being very careful about where they spend their money. Advertising clauses have protections against product changes. Hence, we can be sure that advertisers are reading the same speculations we are and have acted to protect their financial commitment. If that were to occur the pot of gold would be smaller for both sides.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

That's because the owners were stupid to give them that deal in the first place. They caved and gave way to much to the players. and look at these greedy a*****es. The economy doesn't help sure the players want to feel safe but the owners don't want to go into debit just to pay for us to watch games. I have to say for once im with the owners the players get more then enough and actually a pay cut in a horrible economy is a great idea. Would you rather loose a few bucks or not have a job and have no money. Cause i think the owners could care less they can just use scabs. I don't think the players get it they had too good of a deal and now the owners want to at least make it more even since there the ones taking the risk paying the doctors paying for the stadiums pay for everything. Basically the owners are the banks to the players but the banks going under so your about to loss all of it anyways.

• BenQ
  • Veteran
59.6% of revenue. that's how much players get. you guys think that's fair to the owners/league? imo that's too much for the players.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
My sources deep inside the league office tell me that a lockout is inevitable but an agreement will happen in time for the regular season.

Disclaimer. I have no sources
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BenQ:
59.6% of revenue. that's how much players get. you guys think that's fair to the owners/league? imo that's too much for the players.

Are the owners/league risking life altering injuries to fatten their wallets?

Millionaires vs billionaires.

Approx 1800 players
Originally posted by English:

Millionaires vs billionaires.

Approx 1800 players

And 30 owners.

And they all seem to forget it is supposed to be a sport. Not big business.
Share 49ersWebzone