There are 235 users in the forums

rumored NFL lockout in 2011

Shop 49ers game tickets
No way he does the $1 if the CBA doesnt get resolved
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

Roger Goodell has been proactive and has brought new ideas that I think have improved the NFL. The only thing that I disagree with is the whole player safety issue, but that's for a different thread.

Now he's showing that he really wants the new deal to get done and I applaud him for that:

Goodell: Pay me $1 if work stoppage

He seems to be a transparent, stand-up guy and by doing things such as this, he is showing us that he truly wants a new deal done. He's exposing the NFLPA leader and is making him come off as a greedy deuche-bag.

The 49ers are one of many teams that will be at a huge disadvantage if this doesn't get done ASAP!

calculated PR move to get people to think exactly what you just posted.

I doubt that is the only reason behind this, although I wont deny that it is part of their intention. I truly feel that way about the guy though. I've heard him in several interviews and he's transparent and really cares about the game.

i think goodell has done some good stuff, and i thought he was ok initially. but i think that any commissioner that lets his league get to the point of a labor standoff isn't doing his job well enough, and something like "I'll work for $1" wont change that.

It is out of his hands to a certain extent. He had no control over the decrease in revenue to teams because of the economic shift or the changing of commissioner because the other one died. The bottom line is the money and I'm not surprised the owners are opting out of it due to current economic conditions.

Roger Goodell has been proactive and has brought new ideas that I think have improved the NFL. The only thing that I disagree with is the whole player safety issue, but that's for a different thread.

Now he's showing that he really wants the new deal to get done and I applaud him for that:

He seems to be a transparent, stand-up guy and by doing things such as this, he is showing us that he truly wants a new deal done. He's exposing the NFLPA leader and is making him come off as a greedy deuche-bag.

The 49ers are one of many teams that will be at a huge disadvantage if this doesn't get done ASAP!

I doubt that is the only reason behind this, although I wont deny that it is part of their intention. I truly feel that way about the guy though. I've heard him in several interviews and he's transparent and really cares about the game.

i think goodell has done some good stuff, and i thought he was ok initially. but i think that any commissioner that lets his league get to the point of a labor standoff isn't doing his job well enough, and something like "I'll work for $1" wont change that.

It is out of his hands to a certain extent. He had no control over the decrease in revenue to teams because of the economic shift or the changing of commissioner because the other one died. The bottom line is the money and I'm not surprised the owners are opting out of it due to current economic conditions.

meh, i'm not going to pretend that i know all of the economic facts about the NFL, but I find it hard to believe that the owners are hurting that much. It doesn't seem to have affected their stance on building stadiums, for instance. The players got a good deal with the last CBA, no doubt, but I don't really feel sorry for the owners.

Also, I'm assuming you meant it wasn't his fault that Upshaw, the former NFLPA head, died. It would have been very interesting to see how differently this would have shaken out with Upshaw in charge. There was some criticism, it seems, from the players that he was too cozy with Tagliabue, but he was also a hardass who got the players good and, IMO, fair deals. I think if either Upshaw or Tagliabue were still in charge that this mess would have been avoided. Of course, there's no way to know.

meh, i'm not going to pretend that i know all of the economic facts about the NFL, but I find it hard to believe that the owners are hurting that much. It doesn't seem to have affected their stance on building stadiums, for instance. The players got a good deal with the last CBA, no doubt, but I don't really feel sorry for the owners.

Also, I'm assuming you meant it wasn't his fault that Upshaw, the former NFLPA head, died. It would have been very interesting to see how differently this would have shaken out with Upshaw in charge. There was some criticism, it seems, from the players that he was too cozy with Tagliabue, but he was also a hardass who got the players good and, IMO, fair deals. I think if either Upshaw or Tagliabue were still in charge that this mess would have been avoided. Of course, there's no way to know.

I don't know much either either, and not that I care, but the numbers have been explained in detail by several writers. I think they used the Packers as an example since you can see their books. At the rate at which things are going, they are going to be losing money soon while rookies keep breaking banks and players keep re-signing enormous figure contracts.

The stadiums were funded in part by the NFL and that deal is not available anymore, or at least very hard to get. That is why they are trying to make the 49ers and Raiders share.

The previous CBA was written in a different economic climate with different players. Times have changed. Things are off balance and heading downwards.
lip service. He'll get his 10 mil somehow. The rich get rich, the poor get children
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by Ninerfan775:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Hopefully, the NFL sees what a lockout did to baseball and hockey. Hockey already struggled, and now they have less viewers than before. Baseball is still not as popular as it was before their strike. In fact, it took the steroid era to even bring back any interest.

Yeah this is the day and age of capitalism, greed, and being as cutthroat as possible. Just remember people in the end were the ones that are f***ed.

Hey go piss on capitalism somewhere else. It's because of capitalism that our country has dominated the world for so long. Have pride in America and her entrepreneurship, because she has taken care of those corrupt keynesian economies for decades/

Weird.

Let me see now, unbridled capitalism polluted the rivers, put crap in the food, paid starvation wages and made workers work in dangerous conditions. when they asked for fair treatment they were sacked, when they tried to stand together for justice unbridled capitalism called in the army to kill them and beat them up, and force them back to work. It puts money and power in the hands of the very few and destroys the lives of those it feeds on. Capitalism is a powerful force, but it has to be controlled and tempered. Like those Keynesian economies you despise have done.

And now your entrepreneurs are exporting your jobs and outsourcing your services. Happy?

When China overtakes the American economy, how will that be?

And, of course, if there is a lockout, well, that will merely be capitalism in action. So you wont mind, then?

Save it for your manifesto.

Wow...from a moderator, a post just dripping with content.

I'm here to uphold the rules, not fill you with insight.

...but i hope you will fill me with something else...

Strawberry jam?

I don't know much either either, and not that I care, but the numbers have been explained in detail by several writers. I think they used the Packers as an example since you can see their books. At the rate at which things are going, they are going to be losing money soon while rookies keep breaking banks and players keep re-signing enormous figure contracts.

The stadiums were funded in part by the NFL and that deal is not available anymore, or at least very hard to get. That is why they are trying to make the 49ers and Raiders share.

The previous CBA was written in a different economic climate with different players. Times have changed. Things are off balance and heading downwards.

yeah, i don't doubt that some of the economics have changed. The problem I have with the stadium thing, which seems to be, from my reading, one of the motivators for the owners on this (that they want to cut back on players salaries to help fund stadiums) is that it seems like it coming at a time when cities are no longer willing to foot the bill. Until recently, stadiums had a lot of public funding, plus some money from a league fund, but now the public has wised up to what a terrible waste of money it is for them to pay for the stadiums, and it seems like the owners are turning to the players now instead. maybe i'm off on that, but that's part of how i see it.

also, i definitely agree there needs to be a compromise on rookie salaries. I think there should be a cap on on the money they can earn, but that the contracts can be no longer than 3 years or something. but, as with all players salaries, the money they make is more or less what "the market" of the league dictates, and i don't think its really the players "fault" if their wages are high. In fact, if anything, you could say that the owners are culpable in all of that. After all, they are the ones signing the checks.

anyway, its a mess. i don't think goodell is to blame for it, but i do think, as i've said, that he's alienated the players from the get-go, and while some of that has been for the good of the league, IMO, it has also helped create this impasse. hopefully both sides will come to their senses and get a deal done soon.
Hey guys, I wanted to let you know about the latest Block The Lockout ad. In short,let them play!

Be sure to share this awesome ad with your friends. We all want to see a season, so let's make it happen.
Share 49ersWebzone