There are 154 users in the forums

*****OFFICIAL NFL COMBINE SITE******

Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Dshearn, unless you can prove that you stated prior to his run that he was going to be the fastest you sure are immature and foolish for trying to rub it in :P

You sound just like that stick figure "Someone is wrong on the Internet!" LOL.

So, McFadden is fast in the 40--is that going to equate to success in the NFL production wise?

Remember, his junior year, he was stopped 40 times at (16) or behind (24) the LOS.

Err Junior :)

You mean this one:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by Slothrop:
UPDATE:

plan to run:
Charles, McFadden, Stewart, Jones, and Mendenhall

This is going to be a blast to watch. I would not be shocked to see McFadden as the slowest of the bunch.

why in the world would you think McFadden is the slowest of that bunch??

that really makes no sense , that is a horrible guess....

Have then run yet does anyone have the times? I would be SHOCKED if Mcfadden was not a 10th of a second faster then some of those guys.

Pwn3d big time!

McFadden's "drop" down the boards in recent weeks is yet another example of analysts having too much time on their hands. If you didn't know McFadden was blazing fast then you obviously need to re-watch the games.

How can you pwn someone when you make a predicition 4 hours after all the times have already been posted???

I did not say anyone was Pwned....

But Predicting that McFadden is really really fast , is on par with saying the Sun will rise tomorrow morning.....Its Obvious....

How anyone could look at THAT List of RBs in that post and say McFadden is the slowest is beyond me , its not even an educated guess , It had to be a typo or someone is commenting on a player that they never actually watched before.....

Saying McFadden is the Slowest on that list is exactly like perdicting the SUN will not Rise tomorrow , its an out of this world perdiction and flies in the face of conventional wisdom , and also OBVIOUSLY very very wrong , I would guess its a typo

I never stated that McFadden would be the slowest. Read my words, one by one. I stated "I would not be shocked to see McFadden as the slowest of the bunch."

Based upon listed times from their junior year, there was indication that McFadden would run much faster than the other guys.

Sorry if it hurt your feelings.

Do you spend day and night looking for me to make an assessment that is not 100% perfect? I'm sorry that I let you down.

Its not a typo?

You really thought There was a chance that he was going to be the slowest of that bunch?

really?

Actually no Mad Dog i dont read most your post you tend to be long winded with the same rehashed posts i find at other websites.

For what its worth , no body is perfect 100%of the time, I am sure you will get a run of correct stuff sooner or later to bring you back up to .500 .

Who are you? That's right. Nobody cares.

I'm sorry that you are so insecure.

Nice post edit.

I am a poster on this website...the same as you are.

What could I possibly be Insecure about?

Your really trying hard to take some personal offense , when frankly Maddog , I really dont care.

You dont wanna give some insight on what could possibly lead you to think there was a chance McFadden would be the slowest of that group.... thats cool......

who wouldn't when you are calling the guy out?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Defensive Line in the 40

Name Time

Groves, Quentin 4.57
Crable, Shawn 4.64

Gholston, Vernon 4.67
Johnson, Curtis 4.69
Ellis, Chris 4.71
Gatewood, Curtis 4.74
Long, Chris 4.75
Smith, Bryan 4.75
Thompson, Jeremy 4.75

Groves and Crable looking good.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers
Is it just me or do the LB's seem unusually slow this year. I know not all of them ran but jeez!
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Dshearn, unless you can prove that you stated prior to his run that he was going to be the fastest you sure are immature and foolish for trying to rub it in :P

You sound just like that stick figure "Someone is wrong on the Internet!" LOL.

So, McFadden is fast in the 40--is that going to equate to success in the NFL production wise?

Remember, his senior year, he was stopped 40 times at (16) or behind (24) the LOS.

hahaha , Yes....lol..... "cant got to sleep right now"

The question was not that I think McFadden would be the fastest ,but how could ANYONE come to the conclusion that McFadden could possibly be the Slowest of the group he listed, anyone that follows college recruiting or even college ball would know better.

He never responded to the orginal post, i forgot about it. When some one else brought it back up ,I gave MD the benifit of doubt and assumed he must have made a typo.

I think McFadden is going to rock in the NFL. He is a special athlete. As fas as his college production , look at the Offense he was in ,it can help justify and explain his performance.

IF he was 20 pounds heavier he would have been really neat in a one back offense, I think kind of like Reggie Bush a team is going to have to work the offense they have to take advantage of what he can do.

He is another one of those backs that would ROCK in a system like Shannys, that will use him as a walking missmatch.

I hope he does not end up like reggie Bush did last year in an offense that wants to run him in to the back of the o-line 10 times a game.
Originally posted by buck:
Defensive Line in the 40

Name Time

Groves, Quentin 4.57
Crable, Shawn 4.64

Gholston, Vernon 4.67
Johnson, Curtis 4.69
Ellis, Chris 4.71
Gatewood, Curtis 4.74
Long, Chris 4.75
Smith, Bryan 4.75
Thompson, Jeremy 4.75

Marcus Howard (6'2", 245) blew them all away though with a 4.47.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Linebackers in the 40.

Name Time

Guyton, Gary 4.47
Woodyard, Wesley 4.51
Mayo, Jerod 4.54
Keglar, Stanford 4.58
Goff, Jonathan 4.63
Hayes, Geno 4.64
Gooden, Tavares 4.65
Octavien, Steve 4.67
Kehl, Bryan 4.68
Adibi, Xavier 4.69

Mayo at 242 and Guton at 245 could play inside.
Figured I would do a little research so we could compare J Smith to this years rookie class. These were his combine numbers when he came out. Considering he may be one of our FA pickups we can see how he ranks up.

Justin Smith

* 40-yard dash: Smith was clocked in a range of 4.56 to 4.66 in his two attempts. "Very good speed for a linebacker or a defensive end."

* Vertical leap, standing broad jump: He recorded 35 inches in the vertical and 10 feet, 1 inch in the broad jump. "Excellent explosion for his weight and position."

* 225-pound bench press: He produced 26 repetitions. "He's paid the price in the weight room." --D.D.

Link
Now that I have dealt with the insecure board member of the day...what was his name again...oh, nobody cares... let's move on to today's information:

1) It is very clear that the cream has risen to the top today. Chris Long and Vernon Gholston really performed well today. In the end, both guys could be selected number one overall by the Dolphins, if they keep their pick.

2) Although Quentin Groves did not hit the 4.40 he predicted, running a 4.57 is nothing to be disturbed about. He clearly showed speed that most of the other DL do not possess. Shawn Crable was able to regain some momentum after falling down draft board this offseason, running a solid 4.64.

3) Meanwhile, Derrick Harvey, did not run as well as expected. Harvey had the opportunity to make a huge statement by running in the 4.6's, but clocked a time in the 4.8's (unofficial time).

4) One small school DE/OLB hybrid to keep in mind is Curtis Johnson of little Clark Atlanta. He's been moving up draft boards, and could have solidified a spot in the top five rounds by running a 4.69. He's not big, at 6'2", 242, but was able to lift the bar 25 times, which is a solid number.

5) A couple of my personal favorites in zone LB schemes, Xavier Adibi (4.69) and Erin Henderson, had mediocre days. Both guys could have made a strong statement as first round players. Henderson also appeared to be a bit stiff in LB drills, which is surprising when watching tape. Adibi is a superb athlete, and shows excellent closing speed. Both guys may end up being second round picks, and Henderson could even slip to the third. He should have stayed in school.

6) In the battle of potential NT's today, Sedrick Ellis ran a slow time in the 5.2's, but had 34 lifts at 225. Red Bryant unofficially ran right around 5.00 (multiple sites list him a bit higher or lower), but only lifted the bar 20 times. Scary. Ahtyba Rubin ran right at Ellis' number, and also lifted the bar 35 times. Pat Sims posted very similar numbers to Bryant.
So, it looks like the two main guys who appear strong enough to hold up as a NT are Ellis and Rubin. I will stick to my guns and say that Laws will not be looked at for the NT position, even though he posted solid strength numbers.

7) Dre' Moore, at 6'4", 305, ran a 4.88 (faster than Ali Highsmith), and lifted 31 times. He also posted a very respectable 28 vertical. Terrific all-around measurables.

8)The catagory of the Titanic falls to Ali Highsmith, who needed to run a fast 40 at only 5'11", 230 pounds. Instead, he clocks a 4.96, unofficial. He could easily slip into the late 3rd round, or even fall into the 4th round with that performance.

9) While the Titanic sunk, a player the Niners coached and liked at the Senior Bowl continues to shine. Wesley Woodyard, of Kentucky, had a brilliant day. Posting at 6', 227, which is heavier than previously listed, Woodyard ran a 4.51, and looked very sharp during drills. You can tell that he, along with Phillip Wheeler, were coached up by Mike Singletary, to bend their knees in drills. Both looked explosive. Scouts and coaches who were thinking about moving him to SS can breathe easier. The guy is a player.

Of course, the real numbers scouts will examine for defensive ends and tackles will be their 10 yard and 20 yard splits, the reps on the bench, the 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone drill.[/i]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean:
Defensive Line in the 40

Name Time

Groves, Quentin 4.57
Crable, Shawn 4.64

Gholston, Vernon 4.67
Johnson, Curtis 4.69
Ellis, Chris 4.71
Gatewood, Curtis 4.74
Long, Chris 4.75
Smith, Bryan 4.75
Thompson, Jeremy 4.75

How bad did my boy Merling let me down, he has really been uminpressive thus far....

Defensive Line in the 40

Name Time

Groves, Quentin 4.57
Crable, Shawn 4.64

Gholston, Vernon 4.67
Johnson, Curtis 4.69
Ellis, Chris 4.71
Gatewood, Curtis 4.74
Long, Chris 4.75
Smith, Bryan 4.75
Thompson, Jeremy 4.75

How bad did my boy Merling let me down, he has really been uminpressive thus far....

he didn't run or do any of the drills.
Defensive Line in the 40

Name Time

Groves, Quentin 4.57
Crable, Shawn 4.64

Gholston, Vernon 4.67
Johnson, Curtis 4.69
Ellis, Chris 4.71
Gatewood, Curtis 4.74
Long, Chris 4.75
Smith, Bryan 4.75
Thompson, Jeremy 4.75

I'm waiting to see an official posting of Howard's time. It is not listed on NFL.com right now. We'll have to see if that number holds.
Now that I have dealt with the insecure board member of the day...what was his name again...oh, nobody cares... let's move on to today's information:

1) It is very clear that the cream has risen to the top today. Chris Long and Vernon Gholston really performed well today. In the end, both guys could be selected number one overall by the Dolphins, if they keep their pick.

2) Although Quentin Groves did not hit the 4.40 he predicted, running a 4.57 is nothing to be disturbed about. He clearly showed speed that most of the other DL do not possess. Shawn Crable was able to regain some momentum after falling down draft board this offseason, running a solid 4.64.

3) Meanwhile, Derrick Harvey, did not run as well as expected. Harvey had the opportunity to make a huge statement by running in the 4.6's, but clocked a time in the 4.8's (unofficial time).

4) One small school DE/OLB hybrid to keep in mind is Curtis Johnson of little Clark Atlanta. He's been moving up draft boards, and could have solidified a spot in the top five rounds by running a 4.69. He's not big, at 6'2", 242, but was able to lift the bar 25 times, which is a solid number.

5) A couple of my personal favorites in zone LB schemes, Xavier Adibi (4.69) and Erin Henderson, had mediocre days. Both guys could have made a strong statement as first round players. Henderson also appeared to be a bit stiff in LB drills, which is surprising when watching tape. Adibi is a superb athlete, and shows excellent closing speed. Both guys may end up being second round picks, and Henderson could even slip to the third. He should have stayed in school.

6) In the battle of potential NT's today, Sedrick Ellis ran a slow time in the 5.2's, but had 34 lifts at 225. Red Bryant unofficially ran right around 5.00 (multiple sites list him a bit higher or lower), but only lifted the bar 20 times. Scary. Ahtyba Rubin ran right at Ellis' number, and also lifted the bar 35 times. Pat Sims posted very similar numbers to Bryant.
So, it looks like the two main guys who appear strong enough to hold up as a NT are Ellis and Rubin. I will stick to my guns and say that Laws will not be looked at for the NT position, even though he posted solid strength numbers.

7) Dre' Moore, at 6'4", 305, ran a 4.88 (faster than Ali Highsmith), and lifted 31 times. He also posted a very respectable 28 vertical. Terrific all-around measurables.

8)The catagory of the Titanic falls to Ali Highsmith, who needed to run a fast 40 at only 5'11", 230 pounds. Instead, he clocks a 4.96, unofficial. He could easily slip into the late 3rd round, or even fall into the 4th round with that performance.

9) While the Titanic sunk, a player the Niners coached and liked at the Senior Bowl continues to shine. Wesley Woodyard, of Kentucky, had a brilliant day. Posting at 6', 227, which is heavier than previously listed, Woodyard ran a 4.51, and looked very sharp during drills. You can tell that he, along with Phillip Wheeler, were coached up by Mike Singletary, to bend their knees in drills. Both looked explosive. Scouts and coaches who were thinking about moving him to SS can breathe easier. The guy is a player.

Of course, the real numbers scouts will examine for defensive ends and tackles will be their 10 yard and 20 yard splits, the reps on the bench, the 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone drill.[/i]

Do you think Woodyard will be able to really compete at that weight?
Defensive Line in the 40

Name Time

Groves, Quentin 4.57
Crable, Shawn 4.64

Gholston, Vernon 4.67
Johnson, Curtis 4.69
Ellis, Chris 4.71
Gatewood, Curtis 4.74
Long, Chris 4.75
Smith, Bryan 4.75
Thompson, Jeremy 4.75

He pulled his groin.
Defensive Line in the 40

Name Time

Groves, Quentin 4.57
Crable, Shawn 4.64

Gholston, Vernon 4.67
Johnson, Curtis 4.69
Ellis, Chris 4.71
Gatewood, Curtis 4.74
Long, Chris 4.75
Smith, Bryan 4.75
Thompson, Jeremy 4.75

I'm waiting to see an official posting of Howard's time. It is not listed on NFL.com right now. We'll have to see if that number holds.

Yup, haven't see it posted officially either. However, even if you give him an extra .10 (like they did Dexter Jackson yesterday), that's still tied for tops among DEs.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean on Feb 25, 2008 at 12:16 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone