There are 105 users in the forums

Derek Barnett DE/OLB

Originally posted by Alfienator:
So you're going by measurements and not production.

Because the original question was, "why did I hear his ceiling is so low?"

In regards to production, production in college is just that: production in college. Ask Jarvis Jones about it.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 26, 2017 at 6:24 PM ]

Analytics will tell you that 95% of the time an edge rusher who runs over a 4.8 40 is not successful at the next level.

Those numbers arent accurate its just an example. But I bet you its pretty close.

The numbers dont tell you everything but they definitely show you the history of that type of athlete at the next level.

Every team uses analytics one way or the other.
[ Edited by JBrack on Apr 26, 2017 at 6:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Wow.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article146861524.html

DE Derek Barnett pens open letter to NFL GMs, coaches ahead of NFL draft

"I'm writing to express my interest in becoming your next dominant football player,

"When I'm selected in the upcoming draft, I'm pretty sure I know what the guys on TV are going to say: 'This is the kid who broke Reggie White's all-time sack record at Tennessee.

"That's true. That's something I did, and it's something I'm very proud of.

"But one thing I want to make clear is that breaking that record was never a goal of mine. It wasn't what motivated me or what I had set out to accomplish before I enrolled at Tennessee. Instead, it was a by-product.

"It was the by-product of countless hours spent studying offensive linemen. It was the by-product of coaches taking the time to help me develop my physical gifts. And it was the by-product of my teammates doing their job very well so that I could do mine.

"Achieving that sack record definitely meant a lot to me, but I would have traded it away in a heartbeat to have won a championship while I was in college. So understand that even though I've achieved some noteworthy things and won some individual awards, they are not what drives me.

"I want to lead a defense. I want to be an important part of a winning team.

"I want to win a Super Bowl."

"I'm proud of the fact that I'm not a player who suddenly burst on the scene late in my college career. Since I arrived at Tennessee, I've produced consistently every single year. But that doesn't mean I'm the same player I was as a freshman. Not even close.

"I was really lucky at Tennessee to learn from a bunch of remarkable coaches, including Steve Stripling. Every day coach Stripling had us working on our hands at the point of contact and how we anticipate the snap. I'll tell you what, he was hard on me. From the very first day I arrived on campus, he was on me to refine whatever physical talents I had so that I could become a well-rounded football player.

"He taught me that the game doesn't start when the whistle blows. It begins the week before, when you're studying your opponent. You put in that work so that when the ball is snapped you're able to use your instincts to make the best decisions possible.

"My freshman year, I played every down like my hair was on fire. But by the time I was a junior, the game had finally started to slow down for me. That's what preparation does. That showed me that I was ready for this next challenge.

"I'm not scared of the tougher level of competition. I've spent the past three seasons playing in the best conference in college football, and I was able to find success even when teams tried everything they could to take me out of games.

"I'm not scared of the big stage. I know what it's like to play in a stadium where you can't hear the person next to you. I know what it's like to line up across from a player who is just as physically gifted as me, and know that I can beat him using my superior technique.

"I know there's still so much work to be done, but I also think that I've only scratched the surface of my potential.

"Right now, you might know me as the kid who broke Reggie White's sack record at Tennessee, but that's not the only thing I'm going to be remembered for by the time I leave this game.

"I promise you that."

da*n take him at #2 Lynch he's tha kinda player and person this team needs
Love me some Barnett, but only in a trade down. I really hope Lynch finds a way to move down at least twice
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by 49glory:
Average how? Have you watched more than highlights of him vs garrett?

32" arms, 4.88 40, 1.7 10-yard split, 4.44 short shuttle, 31" vert

To be honest, "average" is putting it nicely.

You have to go by both. There's a reason MadDog has him ranked ~20 on his big board even though he's one of the most NFL ready players and should be in contention for defensive player of the year. Teams are going to drop him because his measurables suck. He can improve some of them (not arm length), but he'll never have the ceiling guys like Clowney, Khalil Mack, and Garrett have because he's not a great athlete.

He does have quick twitch arms/hands to go along with terrific hand usage and a high motor. He should be productive early on, but he doesn't have as much room to improve because his technique is already great. The Mack comparison makes no sense - Mack is one of the best athletes in the league. All the best pass rushers n the league right now are elite athletes for their size or have elite length (Watt, Mack, Miller, Clowney, Chandler Jones, Vic Beasley).
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
You have to go by both. There's a reason MadDog has him ranked ~20 on his big board even though he's one of the most NFL ready players and should be in contention for defensive player of the year. Teams are going to drop him because his measurables suck. He can improve some of them (not arm length), but he'll never have the ceiling guys like Clowney, Khalil Mack, and Garrett have because he's not a great athlete.

He does have quick twitch arms/hands to go along with terrific hand usage and a high motor. He should be productive early on, but he doesn't have as much room to improve because his technique is already great. The Mack comparison makes no sense - Mack is one of the best athletes in the league. All the best pass rushers n the league right now are elite athletes for their size or have elite length (Watt, Mack, Miller, Clowney, Chandler Jones, Vic Beasley).

His technique for sure has room to improve. Once he adds more moves and gets stronger with top level training and diet, he'll carry over his college successes to the NFL.

He already has good hand fighting and a really good bend. Has plenty room to improve though and he's exactly the guy that will do it.
Mayock mocked him to the Colts, which I think is a great fit for him. That turf should allow him to play faster than he is.
Come on John and Shanny. Come on we should trade down and more picks. We should grab to Derek Barnett.
I don't think he's in play for us because they want a quick fast aggressive attacking defense, feel like there's better options that fit the mold. Might be wrong but we'll see
I know it's only preseason but this guy looking like a beast

I know it's only preseason but this guy looking like a beast

2 sacks is definitely a great start. Plus just non stop pressure cause he has that motor. Dudes gonna be a player
He was my favorite player in the draft
Originally posted by lamontb:
He was my favorite player in the draft
Not my favorite player in the draft but he was my favorite pass rusher in the draft.
how's he doing in games?
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
how's he doing in games?

No sacks. Not sure about flashes.
Share 49ersWebzone