LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 215 users in the forums

NFL Draft to be moved to May

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

NFL and NFLPA are on verge of pushing back draft to May and moving up start of league year to before combine, per sources.

Kevin Seifert ‏@espn_nfcnblog

If NFL calendar changes, fans will get their free agent fix earlier and draft fix later.
damn this motherfcuken Roger Goodell. always fcuking sh!t up. started with Pro Bowl move, then messing with the weekend addition of the NFL draft. if it ain't broke.....
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I guess the countdown will extend to another 30 days.

Any word on why?

Perhaps this is to align the draft with more college graduation dates. Kind of sucks for rookies to get drafted, then not be able to participate in team workouts until after they graduate.
wont matter. It makes the long wait before the draft as opposed to after. No biggie
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
damn this motherfcuken Roger Goodell. always fcuking sh!t up. started with Pro Bowl move, then messing with the weekend addition of the NFL draft. if it ain't broke.....

This. Minus the language of course.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Tentative dates for NFL Draft in 2015 would be May 7-9 and in 2016 it would be May 5-7.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
What's the big deal?

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Makes sense from a business standpoint.

June-Aug: OTAs, Training Camp
Aug-Sept: Preseason
Sept-Feb: Football Season and Post-Season
Feb-Mar: Coaching Changes, Free Agency, Combine, Scouting
Apr-May: Scouting, NFL Draft

It keeps the NFL relevant and topical 365 days, 7 days a week.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I guess the countdown will extend to another 30 days.

It won't be long till you have 20,000 posts
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Was gonna say!!!

Roger Goodell needs to be removed, this dumbass is changing too many things.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Was gonna say!!!

Roger Goodell needs to be removed, this dumbass is changing too many things.

Read my mind, this s**t is ridiculous
Originally posted by blm7754:
... Perhaps this is to align the draft with more college graduation dates ...

Based on the animal the NFL, has shown itself to be -- bold -- may have been a consideration ...
I just don't believe, it was their major intent. Although it might be nice to believe this (not stating you are)
I'd consider what -- Geek --posted as a prime interest.

Originally posted by GEEK:
Makes sense from a business standpoint.

June-Aug: OTAs, Training Camp
Aug-Sept: Preseason
Sept-Feb: Football Season and Post-Season
Feb-Mar: Coaching Changes, Free Agency, Combine, Scouting
Apr-May: Scouting, NFL Draft

It keeps the NFL relevant and topical 365 days, 7 days a week.

I understand both sides of the coin. Still, the NFL, meaning the Team owners and Roger Goodell, are getting on my last nerve.
Which leads me to this ...

I have a feeling All-the-Tinkering will continue ... until a time (whenever that occurs), that the tide of perception toward the game
(as I think it is generally viewed), starts to change. Also, when as many as possible pending cases against the NFL -- via loopholes
or legal processes -- have been laid to rest.

So many people on this site, as well as others, have suggested a waiver. I think a waiver stating the understood risks, backed by a
shared yet fair medical package during active participation would suffice. I'm not privy to NFL player's medical compensation as it
is -- active vs. inactive .. just seems like the lawsuits, are feeding the Rules Change Frenzy we are witnessing. The owners and Goodell,
are in preservation mode.

IMO, the owners love RG. It's all about the future. In life, and especially within large corporations -- in order to get things done -- a Bad
Guy is needed. Roger, IMO is the NFL Owners Bad Guy. He is paid to take 'ish ... to absorb the Boo Birds at every NFL Draft.
None-the-less, the owners love him. Because, he is getting things done, while putting into play what the owners and their high priced
lawyers feel best for the direction of the league going forward.

In my mind, it's all part of their plan. Why, because it BUSINESS. Every other commercial (and I exaggerate a little) on NFLN,
is about their new certification programmes ... the NFL, now has in place to teach the proper play of the game. Not saying it's
all bad ... to me, just the NFL, doing a bit of CYA technique.

Changing the general perception, while changing the rules, lessens the blow of parents guiding their offspring toward less
hazardous sport. Eventually, and with enough time, they will even figure which way is best to deal with the pending lawsuits
-- if they already haven't -- as well. Time I feel, is on the owners side of things.
Share 49ersWebzone