LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Okoye a DE or a OT?

Hey, I was thinking this guy is brand new to Football..are we labeling him a DE too quickly?...he is a big athletic freak but does have some stiffness too him..maybe to stiff for a d-lineman..I think he we should try him out at offensive tackle too..he would make an incredibly athletic OT ..he's definatley has the size to play on either side of the ball..just a thought..what do u guys think?
Or he maybe a guy who could play both positions..
learning curve is steeper for an OL
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Championship
Probably way too much to learn at this point.

It seems the coaches have him pegged for the D.
You cant just take a guy who has never played FB and put him in at OT. WAY too hard of a position to quickly learn. If he is going to make this team I would think it would have to be at DE.
Learning Defensive end isn't exactly cake work either ..maybe if Okoye struggles at end or he doesnt have it in him...offensive tackle could be a nice fall back position for him to start developing
No way I'd want him at offensive tackle. Keep him on the DL.

If you mess up on the DL you have LB and DB's as the 2nd and 3rd line of defense. If you mess up on the OL it could seriously affect and/or hurt your skill players particularly the franchise QB.
Id like to see him line up at fullback in power formations. He might be a bit tall but he would swallow LBs whole
The offensive line is a lot more difficult to learn than the defensive line. You have to learn how to run block, pass block, pick up different blitzes, etc. It can be very complicated and would take a long time for a brand new guy to football to learn.

Defensive end is much better suited for an athletic freak who has never played football before. We can use him strictly as a situation player and only have him focus on one job, either telling him to pin his ears back and rush the quarterback in a passing situation or just hold his point of attack and let the linebackers make a play on the ball carrier on run downs. Then slowly hopefully we can develop him into a three down defensive end who can be used in any type of situation. Really hope Tomsula can develop this freak.

One does not simply take a man with his measurables and turn him into anything other than a stone cold quarterback destroying machine.
For someone who has never ever played football in their life before, the positions that have the smallest learning curves are on the DL and at RB.
Yes, I see what your saying ....but honestly this guy won't be a factor for a while at either position.. It will take him 2 or three years before he even sniffs the field in the regular season..what I'm saying is where is his biggest upside going to be.. Sure he might make a decent d-lineman when its all said an done but like I said I do see some stiffness in his movements it might not work out..now u put him at offensive tackle an he has rare athleticism for a tackle an he may develop into a dominating pro bowl tackle in 3 or 4 years ..what would u rather have?. This guy is a huge work in progress no matter where u put him ..what I'm saying is where is his biggest upside going to be.. Just keeping an open mind about this guy. He is a rare situation.
Originally posted by Thechad49:
Learning Defensive end isn't exactly cake work either ..maybe if Okoye struggles at end or he doesnt have it in him...offensive tackle could be a nice fall back position for him to start developing

Sorry guys. Chances of him even playing football in today's game is <1%. There are much more realistically exciting prospects to look at this year.
Originally posted by captain_planet:
One does not simply take a man with his measurables and turn him into anything other than a stone cold quarterback destroying machine.

Ah, you mean like Lawrence Philips? You think he should be a running back?
Share 49ersWebzone