There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cody Hoffman-WR-BYU-2014

Cody Hoffman could have come out for this past draft but decided to stay at BYU for his senior season. For all of those people complaining about how the 49ers don't have receivers with size, this is your guy right here. 6'4", around 210 pounds, great hands, very reliable, a dangerous target in the red-zone who uses his size well, is a solid route runner and was ridiculously productive at BYU this past season.


Questions about his speed, ability to separate and level of competition will predictably knock him down the boards somewhat but this is a very stout, very dependable and hard-working receiver that made big plays all year long. The most impressive thing is that he's done as well as he has, with basically garbage play coming from the quarterback position. Riley Nelson was just atrocious at times.....and Hoffman was more or less the only real receiving weapon on that offense, so teams were constantly loading up to shut him down.....and not succeeding very often. The great thing about Hoffman is that he's extremely dangerous making catches in traffic, tremendous focus and concentration, he made big plays with defenders draped all over him, simply doesn't quit, fights and fights when the ball is in the air and more often than not, comes out on the winning side. By the time the 2013 season is over, barring injury, Hoffman will hold every single meaningful receiving record in BYU history.


Similar to Quinton Patton, Hoffman is not a guy who will beat you with his athleticism, but with precision and execution. He's got very good footwork, tremendous balance, maintains focus amidst major physical contact, doesn't get distracted easily, has very reliable hands, sells out to make some huge, ridiculous circus-like catches. That and he's simply someone who comes off like a winner, hard worker, good attitude, no traces of character issues, total team guy all the way.


Depending on how he does this upcoming season as well as during the offseason, I can see Hoffman going anywhere from the late 1st round all the way to the late 3rd round. Intangibles and talent, plus terrific size, making him a very good redzone weapon.






[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 4, 2013 at 1:03 AM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Hmm....



Arms too short....



Won't draft.lol




His arms are easily over 34" in length. :P
Looks like a very good prospect for the 49ers!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:



His arms are easily over 34" in length. :P



In all seriousness, he looked good. Nice find, thanks for sharing.

How often do you see a 6'4'' player returning kicks? Is that more common in college ball?

He did have a HUGE lane to run through, though. I might have even been able to make it to the 30 yard line.
Originally posted by Wodwo:


In all seriousness, he looked good. Nice find, thanks for sharing.

How often do you see a 6'4'' player returning kicks? Is that more common in college ball?

He did have a HUGE lane to run through, though. I might have even been able to make it to the 30 yard line.

Made him look a lot faster than he actually is. I like that he has good size and can actually use it, not afraid to go over the middle, always looking to gain a few extra yards, not easy to bring down in the open field.
Depending what he does N what round he could go in ill be down with drafting him....
Phoenix, I know you've posted about Austin Hill before. Can you compare the two?
It seems as if a lot of big, tall WRs will be available in next year's draft - Hoffman, Austin Hill, Mike Evans, Brandon Coleman, Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Devin Street, etc. I'm not sure if you have a favorite yet, but I hope we can grab one of them.

Coleman seems to have the best speed for his size but will probably also be drafted the highest.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Made him look a lot faster than he actually is. I like that he has good size and can actually use it, not afraid to go over the middle, always looking to gain a few extra yards, not easy to bring down in the open field.

Yeah, he's a fighter. Attacks the ball in the air, too.

I'm gonna watch college ball this season. I always want to, but I'm so obsessed with the 49ers that I have a hard time getting excited about it. I know that you get a totally different feel for a game if you watch it live as opposed to cut-ups, though. I'm gonna keep BYU on my watch list.
Originally posted by mkary12:
It seems as if a lot of big, tall WRs will be available in next year's draft - Hoffman, Austin Hill, Mike Evans, Brandon Coleman, Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Devin Street, etc. I'm not sure if you have a favorite yet, but I hope we can grab one of them.

Coleman seems to have the best speed for his size but will probably also be drafted the highest.

Interestingly enough, the top 2 WR in next year's draft could actually be rather average sized, there's going to be a nice selection of bigger WR's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds though.


I see Jordan Matthews, Cody Hoffman and Jared Abbrederis as having 1st round potential, along with Lee and Watkins who are basically first round locks, but as seen before, this can change significantly depending on how the 2013 season.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Interestingly enough, the top 2 WR in next year's draft could actually be rather average sized, there's going to be a nice selection of bigger WR's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds though.


I see Jordan Matthews, Cody Hoffman and Jared Abbrederis as having 1st round potential, along with Lee and Watkins who are basically first round locks, but as seen before, this can change significantly depending on how the 2013 season.

So we can draft five of them.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Cody Hoffman could have come out for this past draft but decided to stay at BYU for his senior season. For all of those people complaining about how the 49ers don't have receivers with size, this is your guy right here. 6'4", around 210 pounds, great hands, very reliable, a dangerous target in the red-zone who uses his size well, is a solid route runner and was ridiculously productive at BYU this past season.


Questions about his speed, ability to separate and level of competition will predictably knock him down the boards somewhat but this is a very stout, very dependable and hard-working receiver that made big plays all year long. The most impressive thing is that he's done as well as he has, with basically garbage play coming from the quarterback position. Riley Nelson was just atrocious at times.....and Hoffman was more or less the only real receiving weapon on that offense, so teams were constantly loading up to shut him down.....and not succeeding very often. The great thing about Hoffman is that he's extremely dangerous making catches in traffic, tremendous focus and concentration, he made big plays with defenders draped all over him, simply doesn't quit, fights and fights when the ball is in the air and more often than not, comes out on the winning side. By the time the 2013 season is over, barring injury, Hoffman will hold every single meaningful receiving record in BYU history.


Similar to Quinton Patton, Hoffman is not a guy who will beat you with his athleticism, but with precision and execution. He's got very good footwork, tremendous balance, maintains focus amidst major physical contact, doesn't get distracted easily, has very reliable hands, sells out to make some huge, ridiculous circus-like catches. That and he's simply someone who comes off like a winner, hard worker, good attitude, no traces of character issues, total team guy all the way.


Depending on how he does this upcoming season as well as during the offseason, I can see Hoffman going anywhere from the late 1st round all the way to the late 3rd round. Intangibles and talent, plus terrific size, making him a very good redzone weapon.







Thank you for taking notice of one of my BYU prospects. With Hoffman- think of a San Diego type of guy. The 40 times really don't matter with that style of receiver because of their size, strength, jumping ability and the conditioned demeanor to use their size and block out like a PF in Ball.. Hes a little bit like SC's Mike Williams, but more fluid in his routes and in and out of SOME of his breaks.
His hands, reliability and his knack for getting open IMO will become his trademark at the next level.
[ Edited by bdub2588 on May 11, 2013 at 1:47 AM ]
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Hmm....



Arms too short....



Won't draft.lol


Lmao I like you're style.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
So we can draft five of them.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM ]