There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

patton had more yards than your top 4

Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Rascal:
I need to make sure it is well-documented should Justin Hunter turns out to be a beast so that Baalke would know he screwed up big time. Oh well, only time will tell, let's see what happens then.

Define beast in your term, mine is Fritz and Megatron, Jerry rice or Moss in his prime. Those that you must double cover. Or is it like the dozens of others that are just good players that put up good numbers because they are the number receiver that you call beast? like who? Those can be had all the time if given the chance.

So if the three are just decent/ordinary receivers that catch maybe only 60-to 70+ balls in their prime would you eat crow, cause I don't see those numbers equating to beast or impact player.


OK, I must admit I use the term "beast" far more loosely. In essence, I meant a great NFL wide receiver, such as Anquan Boldin, Julio Jones, Roddy White and the likes. I am not sure such guys "can be had all the time" as you had put it. The point I was trying to make is Justin Hunter will turn out to be a great NFL wideout, that is mainly in response to people like Phoenix49ers who has been preaching that he will be the biggest bust in the draft. When I say great NFL wideout, I also mean by the time it gets to his huge pay day 2nd contract, he could be demanding as much as say $10-12 mil, just like your Percy Harvins and Mike Wallaces of the world.
[ Edited by Rascal on May 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Gotta luv tha little rascal still fighting even after he lost his man...


You got it wrong, it is the 9ers who lost their man. By the way, not just Hunter, Ertz as well. Traded down the 34th and lost 2 high ranked impact playmakers in a row. At least pick a top TE to replace Delanie for cry out loud and not some Vance McDonald who by his own admission is "hugely under-developed". So much for a replacement huh ?! LOL.

Yeah, we liked them so much we traded down given the opportunity!
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Gotta luv tha little rascal still fighting even after he lost his man...


You got it wrong, it is the 9ers who lost their man. By the way, not just Hunter, Ertz as well. Traded down the 34th and lost 2 high ranked impact playmakers in a row. At least pick a top TE to replace Delanie for cry out loud and not some Vance McDonald who by his own admission is "hugely under-developed". So much for a replacement huh ?! LOL.

Yeah, we liked them so much we traded down given the opportunity!


That's precisely why I said it was the 9ers who missed out.
Lol, someone seems a bit salty the draft didn't go his way..
Originally posted by 49erRob:
Lol, someone seems a bit salty the draft didn't go his way..


I don't know about being salty. I just don't agree with it that's all. I agree with MadDog that both of us are looking at a draft performance of B-.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by 49erRob:
Lol, someone seems a bit salty the draft didn't go his way..


I don't know about being salty. I just don't agree with it that's all. I agree with MadDog that both of us are looking at a draft performance of B-.

It's hard to say any player will be great or a bust until they've played. The 49ers obviously had guys in mind that they felt fit their scheme better than others. I personally felt both Ertz and Hunter were overhyped a bit. I wasn't excited about McDonald though either. But I think we should have more trust in who our front office selects given the success in past drafts.
Originally posted by 49erRob:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by 49erRob:
Lol, someone seems a bit salty the draft didn't go his way..


I don't know about being salty. I just don't agree with it that's all. I agree with MadDog that both of us are looking at a draft performance of B-.

It's hard to say any player will be great or a bust until they've played. The 49ers obviously had guys in mind that they felt fit their scheme better than others. I personally felt both Ertz and Hunter were overhyped a bit. I wasn't excited about McDonald though either. But I think we should have more trust in who our front office selects given the success in past drafts.


Well, of course. I don't know whether Hunter and Ertz were over-hyped per se, for Hunter as we handed our 34th pick to the Titans they picked Hunter right away which showed I was spot on as the value was definitely there. As for Ertz, to be totally honest, I wasn't exactly crazy about the guy, but I do know from watching tape that Eifert and Ertz were heads above the rest of the TE prospects. I was trying to be sensible and never really did expect the 9ers to pick Hunter, but I thought at least based on need I was convinced the 9ers would pick a top TE to replace Delanie and at 34th it was Ertz which also proved to be correct cos he was the 35th pick.
I just dont get why people get so upset because a guy they wanted didnt get drafted by the 49ers. The 49ers were for whatever reason not as high on Hunter and Ertz and you seem to be, Some people say that Patton is a 2nd round talent and we got him in the 4th round. The Niners had their choice of TEs after Eifert was picked and they passed on all of them except Mcdonald who at least one person viewed was the 2nd best TE in this draft
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/05/02/gil-brandt-i-love-vance-mcdonald/


Baalke know the kind of players he wants that fit our system they obviously feel that Patton/Mcdonald is better than Hunter/Ertz.
[ Edited by valrod33 on May 2, 2013 at 12:22 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,937
Originally posted by Rascal:
Oh I am all for it. Pleaseeee make a fool out of me !! Please do !! I totally welcome that !! Whatever happened has happened already however unfortunate it may be, is too late for us to undo those decisions now. What are you talking about ? I am a 9ers fan, of course I hope they prove me wrong, I don't have a problem with it whatsoever.

There is no need to tell me to shut up cos sh*t does happen from time to time, do you remember the statement which somehow I can't seem to be able to locate on your list "we should have drafted Aaron Rodgers" ? Hmm, strange, I thought it might have been on it since you made such a huge effort in making your list so all-encompassing.

Just remember, not every move made by the 9ers are golden. As a true fan, you are compelled to celebrate the good as well as recognizing the bad. Alright, buddie ?!

You missed the point... you make your comments as if its fact, which it is not. If you know who we should have drafted then why aren't you on an NFL staff smart guy?

I've made my hit and miss claims too... the thing is, i've come to realize that watching Highlights on Youtube does not equal watching scout tape. So why bother? None of us really know what we've got till August/September.
[ Edited by modninerfan on May 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I would have liked Hopkins, his route running will allow him to be a very good NFL player. Houston got a good one.


Justin Hunter on the other hand is going to be an epic bust and Patterson will never live up to his billing.

Really like Hopkins route running. He is one of the few guys that won't need a complete overhaul at the way they run routes at WR as they come into NFL camps. Love to see him with an extra gear, but he has Reggie Wayne written all over him. So reliable in big passing downs.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by valrod33:
I just dont get why people get so upset because a guy they wanted didnt get drafted by the 49ers. The 49ers were for whatever reason not as high on Hunter and Ertz and you seem to be, Some people say that Patton is a 2nd round talent and we got him in the 4th round. The Niners had their choice of TEs after Eifert was picked and they passed on all of them except Mcdonald who at least one person viewed was the 2nd best TE in this draft
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/05/02/gil-brandt-i-love-vance-mcdonald/


Baalke know the kind of players he wants that fit our system they obviously feel that Patton/Mcdonald is better than Hunter/Ertz.

Well, they actually passed on Eifert in the first round, too.

It makes sense to me. I can see the argument for taking one of the other TEs and I don't think anyone is crazy for preferring one of them over McDonald. That said, it looks like the 49ers were more interested in versatility and potential, which should shock no one at this point.
Originally posted by WildBill:
You are like the three you named are going to be guarenteed impact plaayers or superstars. You are drafting purely on flash and sexy pick, niners are drafting to a program they have in place and the import of that postion. As for TE, JH knows Ertz and knows the type player he wants, just as he was insistant with Baalke about getting Kaep, if Ertz was that important and would have made that much of an impact then JH would have said something. Look at last year, we past on another sexy TE named Coby. Cause to JH, he knew at the time and now, it was not primary concern, getting a talented te is easier than getting a talented getting a talented def. player. Yes Vance is a project but not as bad as you think. For someone who is taller his (Ertz) arm span is shorter, his vertical is less and his strength is less as well as other measurables. The number one factor for TE #2 is blocking, while, Vance never played in-line much, Ertz according to scouting reports gets tossed to easily to some. Now if all you want is want is a pass catching te then fine, but that is not what the niners solely want. In other words Ertz has reached is potential is the view while Vance with good coaching and use has a higher upside. Also Vance's frame allows him to put on more weight if he needs, contrary to what you might think, height does not determie ability to put on more weight all the time.

Kid you need to learn about building the team to your system, not what is sexy and flashy.

This, its not necessarily who's the sexy or popular choice but who actually fits what Baalke and Harbaugh are going for.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Really like Hopkins route running. He is one of the few guys that won't need a complete overhaul at the way they run routes at WR as they come into NFL camps. Love to see him with an extra gear, but he has Reggie Wayne written all over him. So reliable in big passing downs.

This. With guys that are dominant route runners, they can get by with a lot less athleticism, their precision and efficiency will always allow them to get some separation in the NFL. Would much rather take a shot on a superior route runner with so-so speed vs a sloppier guy with 4.3 speed.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Dont call people a kid. There is no reason for it.

OK old man. Funny coming from me!
Originally posted by Rascal:
Well, of course. I don't know whether Hunter and Ertz were over-hyped per se, for Hunter as we handed our 34th pick to the Titans they picked Hunter right away which showed I was spot on as the value was definitely there. As for Ertz, to be totally honest, I wasn't exactly crazy about the guy, but I do know from watching tape that Eifert and Ertz were heads above the rest of the TE prospects. I was trying to be sensible and never really did expect the 9ers to pick Hunter, but I thought at least based on need I was convinced the 9ers would pick a top TE to replace Delanie and at 34th it was Ertz which also proved to be correct cos he was the 35th pick.


Hunter is a good "athlete" per say but he isn't in my mind near the football player that Patton is. Hunter has the height and speed to be able to do some things but isn't near the route runner that Patton is. To go along with that Hunter doesn't offer a whole heck of a lot after the catch,(don't really see to much fighting for yards after the catch, all he usually tries to do is run sideways and get around defeneders, but usually ends up losing yardage.) And to go along with what Phoenix49ers said, Hunter has unsure hands and also catches the ball with his body to much. Another thing I have seen with him is he doesn't play very physical, wait and see what happens when he gets matched up with a press corner.

As far as Ertz goes, he isn't a bad player, he can do some good things, but isn't a player that I am going to be like OMG we didn't draft him. We had a more pressing need at the beginning of the 2nd round and I think we filled that nicely with Tank Carradine- can get after the quarterback, relentess pursuit, high motor, and athletic.

And thinking that for some reason our offense won't be able to function this year, because "we don't have a guy that can blow the top off of defenses" is obsurd. Look man we got guys that can make plays on offense. Crab, VD, Boldin, Gore, Hunter, James, Williams, & Manningham. Throw in Patton and McDonald and a quarterback who has a cannon for an arm and runs like a deer, along with one of the best offensive lines in football and I would say we got a pretty well-oiled machine on the offensive side of the ball. To sum all of that up we nevered "needed" Justin Hunter, our offense will do good things this year, and I am as excited as anyone to have Quinton Patton be a niner.

That is all for now and go Niners