LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

patton had more yards than your top 4

• fan49
  • Veteran
Tavon Austin, Justin hunter, deondre Hopkins and cordarelle Patterson produced less yards than our guy in there last two years. In fact he doubled Justin hunters numbers. Goes to show harbalke knows something. They had a great draft and it will show.hope no one posted this.... mods please delete if so
[ Edited by fan49 on May 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
Tavon Austin, Justin hunter, deondre Hopkins and cordarelle Patterson produced less yards than our guy in there last two years. In fact he doubled Justin hunters numbers. Goes to show harbalke knows something. They had a great draft and it will show.hope no one posted this.... mods please delete if so

Justin Hunter only played in three games in 2011. Like him or not, you have to admit that playing in three games hurt his production.
[ Edited by buck on May 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM ]
I still would have liked to have hunter just not at #34 where we trade out ...
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

In 2011, Justin Hunter went down with an ACL and in 2012 he fought hard to come back from the injury and needless to say, somewhat rusty still cleared 1,000 receiving yards. And don't forget, Tennessee also had another pretty decent receiver by the name of Cordarrelle Patterson who had a fair share of the ball and chalked up a good chunk of yards too.
Originally posted by Rascal:
In 2011, Justin Hunter went down with an ACL and in 2012 he fought hard to come back from the injury and needless to say, somewhat rusty still cleared 1,000 receiving yards. And don't forget, Tennessee also had another pretty decent receiver by the name of Cordarrelle Patterson who had a fair share of the ball and chalked up a good chunk of yards too.

Rascal the thing about draft crushes is once the 49ers don't draft them you just got to let it go.

I would have liked Hopkins, his route running will allow him to be a very good NFL player. Houston got a good one.

Justin Hunter on the other hand is going to be an epic bust and Patterson will never live up to his billing.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I would have liked Hopkins, his route running will allow him to be a very good NFL player. Houston got a good one.

Justin Hunter on the other hand is going to be an epic bust and Patterson will never live up to his billing.

I find that rather comical, the guy hasn't even started mini camp yet and you are already calling him the biggest bust in the draft. Hmm...
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:

Rascal the thing about draft crushes is once the 49ers don't draft them you just got to let it go.

I need to make sure it is well-documented should Justin Hunter turns out to be a beast so that Baalke would know he screwed up big time. Oh well, only time will tell, let's see what happens then.
I find that rather comical, the guy hasn't even started mini camp yet and you are already calling him the biggest bust in the draft. Hmm...

Total body-catcher, doesn't run block, goes down at first contact......you like him because he's big and fast....so is Chaz Schilens.

Unlike you I don't care how big or fast a WR is, NFL draft history is filled with the remains of big fast and tall WR's that were utter busts at the next level.

I look at their overall skills as a WR, abilities, the quality of their hands, route-running, how they catch the ball..etc. Hunter is tall but lanky, fast but a sloppy route runner, cheats by using his body to make plays, in the NFL that simply won't work.

He could do well in the NFL, but he's got a lot of work to do on the fundamentals of being a receiver, his athleticism, just like for many other college studs, won't be enough by itself to carry him in the NFL. He needs to add weight, he needs to utilize his hands to snatch the ball, not allow passes to get into his body, he needs to work on his concentration, not drop so many passes, improve his route-running...etc.....he's a work in progress, just as Patterson is.

Justin Hunter-WR-Tennessse-6'4", 196

Kendall Hunter-PG-Phoenix Suns-6'4", 196

Only one of these is going to get tackled and driven into the ground on a regular basis.

That's a problem.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM ]
And Tavon Austins teammate (WVU and now the Rams) Stedman Bailey outproduced them all.

U better check the stats again buddy. Tavon Austin is one of the all time greatest in producing yards. Receiving yards this past year yes
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Total body-catcher, doesn't run block, goes down at first contact......you like him because he's big and fast....so is Chaz Schilens.

Unlike you I don't care how big or fast a WR is, NFL draft history is filled with the remains of big fast and tall WR's that were utter busts at the next level.

I look at their overall skills as a WR, abilities, the quality of their hands, route-running, how they catch the ball..etc. Hunter is tall but lanky, fast but a sloppy route runner, cheats by using his body to make plays, in the NFL that simply won't work.

He could do well in the NFL, but he's got a lot of work to do on the fundamentals of being a receiver, his athleticism, just like for many other college studs, won't be enough by itself to carry him in the NFL. He needs to add weight, he needs to utilize his hands to snatch the ball, not allow passes to get into his body, he needs to work on his concentration, not drop so many passes, improve his route-running...etc.....he's a work in progress, just as Patterson is.

Justin Hunter-WR-Tennessse-6'4", 196

Kendall Hunter-PG-Phoenix Suns-6'4", 196

Only one of these is going to get tackled and driven into the ground on a regular basis.

That's a problem.

First of all, he is not a body-catcher. Did you ever see his highlights when he went up and took the top off 2 DBs and scored the TD ?

I like him, yes partly because of his height and speed, that is because I am trying to answer to 1 very specific brief here which is to fill the void of a legit deep threat wideout that we badly need. If you are looking for an all-round wideout who can play in the slot and so forth then your argument may be valid. But, take Crab as an example, he is a possession receiver and has all the skills that you stated, but he is simply not a deep ball wideout.

Every rookie wideout needs developing in transitioning to the NFL. Do I think Hunter needs to add bulk ? Absolutely, not unlike AJ Jenkins or Quinton Patton. Can he improve on route-running with our coaches ? Absolutely. There are certain things you can't teach or change through coaching and that is speed and height. That is essentially what you are born with. In terms of body type, Hunter is probably not too different from Kaep, they both have tall, lanky frames. But, you don't need me to tell you, Kaep trains like a weight machine and that is why he has those guns and weighs 230 lbs. But, if you have to make fun of his physique, how about this comparison :

Justin Hunter - WR, Tennessee - 6'4" 196 lbs
Chuck Jacobs - WR, Utah State - 6'0" 178 lbs (4" taller than Tavon Austin and pretty much the same weight. Or 1" shorter than Crab and 36 lbs lighter. Yet, the 9ers signed him)

Gotta luv tha little rascal still fighting even after he lost his man...
  • mod
  • Veteran
Trevor Innsley says hi

just saying

I tend to agree on the Hopkins thoughts. Not sure about Hunter yet
Share 49ersWebzone