LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

A look ahead in to the prospects of the 2014 Draft

Correction on Evans...he'll be draft eligible in 2015.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Correction on Evans...he'll be draft eligible in 2015.

Pretty sure you were right the first time. McShay had him in his top 3 prospects for 2014.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Any AJ Green or Julio Jones types available next draft that we can trade up for?

I don't know about Julio Jones or AJ Green types, but I am looking at 2 guys so far :

• Jordan Matthews (6'3" 205 lbs)
  • Brandon Coleman (6'6" 220 lbs)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xhdNwB64bs">
Brandon Coleman looks like a very good, fast and big target.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:

That's exactly what I am saying. The only thing that I don't like is that in that highlight clip he tends to catch the ball with his body. But, I guess the coaches can correct that. But, heck in terms of BIG play-making ability, he is the guy without a doubt !!

That's exactly what I am saying. The only thing that I don't like is that in that highlight clip he tends to catch the ball with his body. But, I guess the coaches can correct that. But, heck in terms of BIG play-making ability, he is the guy without a doubt !!

Yes he made a bunch of plays on passes with guys around him and made them miss or ran away from them.
Antone Exum CB/S 6'0 224 LBS, tore his ACL. 5 ints, 16 pbu's, 2 FF's. Former Safety. Let's get him 3rd round!
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Originally posted by jreff22:
I want a 6'3+ 215 WR that can catch everything and run all day. All I have asked for, for years has been a big ass target that can go up and over people and make the hard plays....just give it to me Trent pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

Jordan Matthews (Vandy): 6'3 205
Mike Evans (Aggies): 6'5 225
Brandon Coleman (Rutgers): 6'6 220
Devante Parker (Louisville): 6'3 205
Austin Hill (Arizona): 6'3 210

Some beasts should be declaring next year, think our boys have done their research.

Yeah, I'm still haunted by visons of T.O. owning CB's as well. I miss that type of player. Anquan should give us a little bit of that, but he has nowhere near the speed that T.O. did.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Jun 11, 2013 at 3:33 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

Highlights are not the best tool to evaluate a player.

Making big plays consistently is the key.

Coleman is clearly an interesting prospect, but we should wait a bit before we designate him the ":the guy."

edit: He is clearly an interesting prospect.

Rutgers had the worst offense, both passing and rushing, in the Big East last year.

There are 120 teams in D1 football, and Rutgers passing attack was ranked 86th last year.

Playing for Rutgers does not help Coleman put up big numbers.

Coleman has played in 26 games. He has had 60 receptions for 1270 yards and 16 scores.

Coleman has averaged 2.3 receptions per game.

But, his career 21.17 yards per reception is the best among the major wide receiver prospects.

He has scored 16 touchdowns in his career which puts him in the top 10 for touchdowns per game.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 12, 2013 at 6:59 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Highlights are not the best tool to evaluate a player.

Making big plays consistently is the key.

Coleman is clearly an interesting prospect, but we should wait a bit before we designate him the ":the guy."

edit: He is clearly an interesting prospect.

Rutgers had the worst offense, both passing and rushing, in the Big East last year.

There are 120 teams in D1 football, and Rutgers passing attack was ranked 86th last year.

Playing for Rutgers does not help Coleman put up big numbers.

Coleman has played in 26 games. He has had 60 receptions for 1270 yards and 16 scores.

Coleman has averaged 2.3 receptions per game.

But, his career 21.17 yards per reception is the best among the major wide receiver prospects.

He has scored 16 touchdowns in his career which puts him in the top 10 for touchdowns per game.

Statistically it does appear that Coleman is a very efficient wide receiver but that doesn't discredit what the video shows. Stats are nice but they're not indicative of the players techniques. What I see in the video is someone who makes big plays on blown coverages. The DBS in the NFL are not going to be intimidated by his size. Besides that he's not fast. His route running is clunky and he's really slow out of cuts. His hands are suspect. I'm not saying he's bad. Passing verdict is not my place I just wonder if his 2-3 splash plays a game are oddities and I would like to see a full game of him to see how often he is targeted. If polishes his game up he's going to be a beast.
https

This guy makes me want to draft another TE. He's like Gronkowski better. I think he goes in the 1st round easily. Hes miles better than Eiferts or Ertz.

http://https

I love this guy. He plays with a tenacity unmatched. I don't think he would go in the 1st so we could possibly snatch him up at the end of 2nd and let him bulk up and learn the system. I think he could be a future starter. He can cut routes off. He can blitz. He has great tackling ability. I didn't notice any man press which leads me to think he may not be to good at it. That makes sense given his size but it can be worked on.

I guess DE would be overkill at this point but I love Stanfords D and I think Fangio could do great things with a product of his system.

After watching about an hour Stanfords Dline I realized why we don't have a hulking NT. All we need is a stout and mobile DT that can pressure his gap without losing contain. All the pressure comes from the ends. The thing is that containing within the pocket usually comes at the price of pressure. I think with a guy like McCullers we would get a big body to rotate in that could give us the best of both worlds. Generally I don't trust guys that are as big and as heavy as him to make it in the pros but I hope I'm wrong this time.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Statistically it does appear that Coleman is a very efficient wide receiver but that doesn't discredit what the video shows. Stats are nice but they're not indicative of the players techniques. What I see in the video is someone who makes big plays on blown coverages. The DBS in the NFL are not going to be intimidated by his size. Besides that he's not fast. His route running is clunky and he's really slow out of cuts. His hands are suspect. I'm not saying he's bad. Passing verdict is not my place I just wonder if his 2-3 splash plays a game are oddities and I would like to see a full game of him to see how often he is targeted. If polishes his game up he's going to be a beast.

The video you are talking about is less than three minutes.

The kid has played in 26 games.

I find it next to impossible to evaluate a player by watching a short highlight video, but your take on the video seems a bit harsh.

• SaksV
  • Veteran
Jordan Matthews - cousin of Jerry Rice. End thread.
Originally posted by buck:
The video you are talking about is less than three minutes.

The kid has played in 26 games.

I find it next to impossible to evaluate a player by watching a short highlight video, but your take on the video seems a bit harsh.

I don't watch short highlights video when evaluating player. I watch full games and edits of every snap that player is on the field. I find this to be a very reliable method of evaluating a prospect. You get to see a players weaknesses and strengths when it really counts. However I will admit I have only seen 2 games of Coleman, Arkansas and Vtech. I guess you could say that this sample size is simply not reliable and your probably right. That is why I said I'm not judging him. I just have a feeling that Colemans strengths are the fact he's playing against much "smaller" competition. His weaknesses will get him eaten up in the pros because when a corner can jam your route and still run it better than you your in trouble. I just don't see what all the hype is about but hey we have a whole season to figure it out.

Originally posted by SaksV:
Jordan Matthews - cousin of Jerry Rice. End thread.
I would love for us to draft him in 2014. In reality I don't think he makes it to us but it would be nice. He seems to always make the tough catchs. We need a WR that can do that opposite of Crab.

My Top 5 WR list:
#1 Marqise Lee 6'1 195 USC 118 rec 1721 yrds 14 tds (Most favorite player this year. He can beat anyone and catch anything. A pure workhorse in every since of the word. Any game he plays he is the best at his position in kickoffs, punts, screens, drops offs, sweeps, underneath routes, and deep balls. He can even play RB. This is the kind of guy you scheme your offense around. He needs to try to bulk up as much as possible just to help protect his body from hits but besides that I think he could've joined the draft this year and been the #1 WR easily. )

#2 Jordan Matthews 6'3 205 Vandie 2012 94 rec 1323 yrds 8 td (I love how this guy just makes plays. I think the QB production at Vandie is weak but he still makes it happen. A legit QB and NFL coach could make this guy a 1000 yard receiver. I really don't see any weaknesses in his game. He lacks effort in run blocking but still I've seen him block Zac Stacy into the endzone. He could polish up his route running but really that would be nitpicking.

#3 Sammy Watkins 6'1 201 Clemson 2012 57 rec 708 yrds 3 td. (Im calling him Marqise Lee Lite. They have pretty much the same game. Both are ridiculously fast and excellent route runners who can create plays from the line. I haven't seen much of Watkins' ability to get behind the safety but I'm sure with all the speed he can create some deep ball plays.)

#4 Mike Evans 6'5 218 Texas AM 2012 82 rec 1105 yrd 5 td (matchup nightmare. He wasn't the primary receiver at AM but I think hes most valuable being the #2. This guy was trucking SEC DBs and I think this will be his breakout year. He has a very smooth running motion which usually doesn't equate with a guy his size. This makes him a good route runner and in combination with his size a very special creator of YAC.

#5 This is my wildcard. Brandon Carter 5'11 161 TCU 36 rec 590 yrds 6 tds. (Carter is an enigma. He started 2012 with 460 yards 4 td non 28 catches in the first 7 games. Then he missed Okla St. for an undisclosed injury but returned the next week. He returned a shadow of his former self. The remaining 5 games he only made 8 reception and 2 Tds. From the games I watched of TCU he's one of the most athletic receivers in college football. He has the speed to beat his man but it's his ability to adjust to the throw is what makes him special. In the end I think his size may not make him a viable prospect especially since injury hampered him last season but if he can stay healthy I would love to see what this guy can do to a secondary.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
I don't watch short highlights video when evaluating player. I watch full games and edits of every snap that player is on the field. I find this to be a very reliable method of evaluating a prospect. You get to see a players weaknesses and strengths when it really counts. However I will admit I have only seen 2 games of Coleman, Arkansas and Vtech. I guess you could say that this sample size is simply not reliable and your probably right.

Well two games is much better than a short highlight video.

I want to see what Coleman does this year.
I'm going to maintain a prospect spreadsheet in an attempt to keep the best info in one location:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AotIVo4gpWF8dFZBTDhmM01WeU9CMzliOEZMNVByS1E&output=html

There are 4 tabs across the top linking to different parts of it.

Also, I separated all the DraftBreakdown game cut-ups on a youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cooper513/videos?view=1&flow=grid&sort=da
Share 49ersWebzone