LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

A look ahead in to the prospects of the 2014 Draft

Positions for next year?

Baalke seems to draft to improve backups who may be ready to start in the near future, and also emphasizes need by round placement. Cam Johnson and Darius Fleming were later picks who had chances to prove themselves but didn't. So this year he upped the anti by drafting higher for the front seven positions.

Looking at draft history the front seven has received no real interest for several years until 2013--four players, two high picks and two low.

So, looking forward to next years draft, which positions are most likely for a boost of talented players? Of course, who they lose in FAcy is key, but right now I would guess:

CB/S (need to replace FAs and get younger)
WR (Jenkins and Patton need to show they are playmakers or...)
NT (if the young guys are not able to hold the middle)
OL (they need some young guys who can replace players overpriced in FAcy)

The nice thing about the needs list is that they can really go after BPA at this point, no need is imperative next year unless injuries hit. Keeping all the DBs will be a big problem if they perform well, so I placed that at the top.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 14, 2013 at 7:45 AM ]
Trade the farm for Lee or Clowney. I prefer the Clowney with J smith getting older.
Originally posted by Ninerfan775:
Trade the farm for Lee or Clowney. I prefer the Clowney with J smith getting older.

I really hope this is a joke. What is the Farm? And Lee? a WR? Not happening. Clowney would cost way way too much to get.
There are five or six corners who are 6 feet tall and run in the 4.4's. Niners will take one of them with their first pick because they're going to have trouble resigning TBrown and Rodgers is probably done after this year.

What cracks me up about these conversations is that it's always offense, offense, offense, and 75% of that is receivers. Defense wins championships and what the Niners need to do is build that back end. They've got a great front - build the back.
[ Edited by GNielsen on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
There are five or six corners who are 6 feet tall and run in the 4.4's. Niners will take one of them with their first pick because they're going to have trouble resigning TBrown and Rodgers is probably done after this year.

What cracks me up about these conversations is that it's always offense, offense, offense, and 75% of that is receivers. Defense wins championships and what the Niners need to do is build that back end. They've got a great front - build the back.

To be honest the most interesting prospects for me are Bridgewater, Lee, Lyerla, and Seferian-Jenkins. I don't think we should draft a reciever. Maybe if we could pick either Colt Lyerla or Austin Seferian-Jenkins at the end of the 1st. Even if those guys were there I don't think Baalke would draft another TE so high. With the CB position essentially turning over next season I think they have to draft the best one available. They really should double dip in the first 3 rounds because you're right about there being a good pool of large corners.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Positions for next year?

Baalke seems to draft to improve backups who may be ready to start in the near future, and also emphasizes need by round placement. Cam Johnson and Darius Fleming were later picks who had chances to prove themselves but didn't. So this year he upped the anti by drafting higher for the front seven positions.

Looking at draft history the front seven has received no real interest for several years until 2013--four players, two high picks and two low.

So, looking forward to next years draft, which positions are most likely for a boost of talented players? Of course, who they lose in FAcy is key, but right now I would guess:

CB/S (need to replace FAs and get younger)
WR (Jenkins and Patton need to show they are playmakers or...)
NT (if the young guys are not able to hold the middle)
OL (they need some young guys who can replace players overpriced in FAcy)

The nice thing about the needs list is that they can really go after BPA at this point, no need is imperative next year unless injuries hit. Keeping all the DBs will be a big problem if they perform well, so I placed that at the top.
I think we should draft 2 CB, 1WR, 1 OL in the first 3 rounds.

We seem to have the worst luck on WR. The FO also doesn't seem to want to pay a lot of money for this position. Crab may get some nice money but I don't think they would want to pay much for #2. I think the best plan is just to continue rotating in talent till we find the right guy.

I know we have a line full of starters but. Iupati may be leaving though. I think the team may not want to pay him top dollar and I don't think he will have any problems finding a good contract elsewhere. He's one of my lineman so I hope they get his extension figure out. Either way I think we really should use all these extra picks on a solid early round prospect. The Oline coach has done such a great job with the ones we've drafted so far I'm sure they could find another Boone-like discovery.
OLB - Carl Bradford*, ASU, 6-1 240lbs

Just power cleaned 400lbs yesterday

To put it in perspective, Vernon Davis power cleans 365 in college which was considered amazing
Seems like we are due to draft a CB in the first. Haven't done so since Rumph in 2002 although I think he was a safety in college. In 2004 we took Spencer in early 2nd and that's the closest thing since. I'd like SS if Whitner is gone or CB in the first next year. I think I'd go CB before but it depends on what the value for the BPA at that position is and who we have left at CB. Only one under contract is Culliver and Rogers who likely will be cut if he doesn't restructure. Asomugha, Cox, Brock and Perrish are all FA's. So I would go CB/SS in 1st, if we get Chiefs 2nd CB/SS (whatever not taken in 1st), Our 2nd CB/WR (depending on how young guys do this year) and then Titans 3rd maybe C if they aren't confident in Kilgore/Looney. Then with our 3rd and possibly comp pick for Goldson at end of 3rd really doesn't matter. Will have to see where we are at. Maybe WR (If not in 2nd), DE/NT and so on. Of course really early to tell, a lot will change this year. Need to see how the young WRs do and how the CB's do and who is resigned. Only need I see for sure is CB (probably x2) and SS if Whitner is gone. WR, C, DE, NT are other options but again will depend on how everyone does this year.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
49ers 1st round pick next year!!!!

Jason Verrett, CB out of TCU if he can add some weight. Outstanding, ball-hawking coverage guy, good tackler, simply flies to the ball. He'd be a great guy look at in the late 1st-late 2nd round. He can play the slot as well as be on the outside. In terms of playing the ball he's the anti-Culliver and wins the majority of contested passes. He reads the WR exceedingly well and has outstanding timing to get between the ball and the receiver.

He possesses a lot of the same traits that I liked about Quinton Patton this year. He's smart, he's tough, he's all about the team, plays selflessly, extremely hard worker, tape-watching addict, good character guy and fits this team's philosophy extremely well. Verrett is also from Fairfield, so he'd be right back home again with the 49ers.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jun 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM ]
maybe they go after the DBacks like they did the DLine this year.

I'd lay 100 to 1 that Iupati get resigned.

Originally posted by Kolohe:

Wouldn't mind him on the 49ers next year at all. Nice video!
Originally posted by tohara3:

Looks good to me.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

As usual, stop talking sense.
Originally posted by Ninerfan775:

We just drafted Tank Carradine to replace Justin long term. No need for giving up the farm for Clowney.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Jun 23, 2013 at 11:03 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by tohara3:

Looks good to me.

Honestly I think he will be way outta the 49ers range, I think Gilbert will go in the top 15, unless hes got some major attitude or off-field issues.
Share 49ersWebzone